Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 10th March 2010, 21:55   #41
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
I see now the need for a sump
Yeah - damn you

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 22:01   #42
Mr_P
Saxperience Forum Bum
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Bianca White Peugeot 106 S2 Rallye, Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mr_P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Yeah - damn you

Haha, Could have had mine come Friday look..... But you've already taken yours off now, so. NO point

Coming along with the rebuild though
Mr_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 22:05   #43
atspeedracing
Frequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): 106 GTi Turbo
atspeedracing will become famous soon enough

just looking at the pic, your return to the sump seems a little low. are you certain that it is above sump oil level? (i have had cars at work before with them too low, if you removed the oil return the oil would drain from the return outlet until it reached the minimum on the dipstick!) worth checking at least anyway.

ideally you need to make the return line as free flowing as you can, with minimal tight angles or sink traps, remember the oil has just been passed through a shaft and bearing spinning at over 100,000rpm, the oil is now a hot frothy milky substance, and you need to get it away from your turbo as quick as possible! 16mm hose is adequate for size for most turbos (certainyl any you would fit to a saxo or 106) its best to use some kind of reinforced hose, R6 or R3 kevlar reinforced hose is what we prefer to use, its good at withstanding heat, obviously oil resistant, and can bend slight curves without fracturing or kinking too much.

if a bend is too much for the hose, try a metal joiner at a 45degree angle to assist in making the curve, stops any kinked pipes or them splitting. also make sure you use high quality hose clips with no sharp edges, its not uncommon for a hose failure to be caused by a sharp edge of a hose clip cutting through.

its also important to check the return line after the car has been driven a short while to check for any signs of wear or splits.. the last thing you want is to empty your sump of oil via the turbo dumping it to the floor and wrecking your engine and turbo.

- colin.

- www.atspeedracing.co.uk - tel: 01268 773377 - * ONLINE SHOP *http://www.atspeedracing.co.uk/products
"I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER" - Matthew Boulton.
atspeedracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 22:19   #44
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Hi Colin,

My engine has survived with this setup for ~7 years now, but I do think the oil return is a little low. Maybe not such an issue when the engine is running, but at rest, the oil level is just above the return. I may higher this a little tomorrow when re-working the sump return.

I'm not planning to use hose clips, but this depends on what I can get my hands on tomorrow. Hoping to use all welded/threaded connections for complete peace of mind as I've had nightmares of losing my oil just as you describe!

Quote:
Old 10th March 2010, 22:29   #45
atspeedracing
Frequent Poster
South East Region Member

lol - one of those "wheres my oil gone?" moments.

yes, i was going to say, i know the cars been turbod a very long time. but as you say if you have the sump off, may as well lift the return up a little to be sure.

keep up the progress matey.

- www.atspeedracing.co.uk - tel: 01268 773377 - * ONLINE SHOP *http://www.atspeedracing.co.uk/products
"I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER" - Matthew Boulton.
Old 10th March 2010, 22:32   #46
Simop
Administrator

So I can get ahead of the game... what sealant is needed to bond the sump back on? Anything special? Oil resistant silicone?

Quote:
Old 10th March 2010, 22:48   #47
atspeedracing
Frequent Poster
South East Region Member

we use rhodorseal 5661 on all our engines and gearboxes, its oil and fuel resistant. not cheap but its good stuff. and because you dont need 10 gallons of the stuff to make something seal, you dont risk getting bits of silicone blocking up your oil pump! i have seen far too many engines killed because of silicone sealants applied far too generously.

here is a place that sells it: http://www.workshopsupplies.co.uk/co...-uk/d1230.html

Old 12th March 2010, 19:31   #48
VTRelite
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTR Renault 5
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
VTRelite is on a distinguished road

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wurth-RTV-sili...21133001r20360

Thats the sealant we use at work for doing timing chain and sump reseals (Toyota) and i can get you a tube for a tenner plus p+p if youd like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam08 View Post
I can confirm that you are a girl. Ive seen the CLUNGE!!!

Last edited by VTRelite; 12th March 2010 at 19:35.
VTRelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 20:02   #49
Simop
Administrator

Making the new boost pipes tomorrow and got my design all confuzzled

Originally was planning to keep intercooler in current position at the front of the stack, but I had to mount it really low - too low really, to sit behind the bumper. (previous build)

So, now considering mounting it the way I used to years ago, but with dual fans. ie, intercooler inbetween rad and fans. I can mount it higher up this way and it makes the pipe runs fairly easy. Problem is, I don't have a standard bumper to trial fit, so wont know if it will all pack in behind the standard bumper setup.

Last minute hassles, as usual I'm sure it'll fit, one way or other

Original plans for new pipes...

OLD Skool mounting position...

LOW front-mounted intercooler, not favoured NOW.

Quote:
Old 14th March 2010, 20:09   #50
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Jesus that is low !!!
Old 14th March 2010, 22:28   #51
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
Jesus that is low !!!
Agreed - LOL.

After this re-build, I'm planning to use the car on more track days, so more fussed about practicalities, rather than looks. Priorities were maybe the other way around when I last built it a few years ago

Might end up looking something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6079.jpg  

Quote:
Old 15th March 2010, 22:33   #52
Simop
Administrator

Sourcing bits whilst at work and trial fitting them after work is becoming a bit of a pain in the ass

The sump has now been modified, moved oil return sideways and upwards a little. Got a threaded stab welded on. Now just having fun and games with pipe fittings and turbo orientation to make the two ends meet

I need to buy myself a welding set - would make this turbo malarky much easier!

90 deg elbow idea might be in the bin now. Could end up looking something like this now instead. lol. Should have this finished tomorrow.

On the plus side - the new boost pipes should hopefully be ready to fit on Wednesday evening, so should definately get this rebuilt this weekend!!
Attached Thumbnails
10.jpg  

Quote:
Old 15th March 2010, 23:23   #53
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

Car(s): VTRallye
iTrader Score: 18 (95%)
frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

simo, why are you indicators hanging out on the picture of the saxo on the RR? lol
Old 15th March 2010, 23:31   #54
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
simo, why are you indicators hanging out on the picture of the saxo on the RR? lol
Removed indicators to pull out the retaining clips for the front grille, which sit under the indicators.

Quote:
Old 19th March 2010, 23:35   #55
Simop
Administrator

Progress!

New oil hose is complete - sorted out a nice little 45deg elbow - had to be special order to match the threaded coupling I bought (trust me!) Should get this bolted in place tomorrow morning.

Progress is also being made with the new boost pipes. Started to fit those too. I'm desperate to make some real progress with the re-build this weekend! I want to get the rad, intercooler, fans, oil cooler, sump, fuel pipes, etc, etc sorted out!

I need to source/collect a standard bumper too to trial fit. Planned to collect one tomorrow, but not having much luck with seller feedback...

Onwards and upwards!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6116.jpg   IMG_6117.jpg   IMG_6118.jpg  

Quote:
Old 20th March 2010, 12:02   #56
Simop
Administrator

As this thread is now turning into a re-build progress report, I am moving it out of the engine section and into the car section.

Thanks for your input so far peeps - the fun continues!

Quote:
Old 20th March 2010, 12:06   #57
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Looks to be coming along well !!
Old 20th March 2010, 14:27   #58
Sophia_Bush
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Moonstone Blue 106 GTi
iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!Sophia_Bush is as cool as a cucumber!

looking good Si
Old 20th March 2010, 14:36   #59
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

Simon, a progress thread, thats not like you at all mate

Getting there mate will finally get to see it this year then??

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 14:42   #60
Simop
Administrator

Hopefully Pred... Believe the pistons are on 6wk back order though

Quote: