Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 7th February 2010, 13:20   #1
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!
Default Simo's Turbo re-build Progress (GMC pics & video - page 18...)

This thread started off as a discussion about changing the orientation of a turbo, then evolved into a progress thread. Apologies for the techy ramblings on the first page or so

Peeps,

I started the preliminary re-build of my VTS yesterday. A few years ago I bought a new turbo and am currently thinking this may be best to use, rather than throw it on the scrap heap and buy another new blower!

The orientation of the compressor is not how I want it. Ideally, I'd like the config to be the same as my old turbo, to reduce the hassle of re-routing some of the pipework.

Looking at rotating the housing doesn't look too tricky? I need to swing the compressor housing by approx 90degrees. Once Ive dont this though, the new turbo actuator bracket won't pick up with any mounting holes.

So... looks like Im gonna have to drop it off at a turbo outfit and get them to swing things about. To do it properly, I think Im going to have to do the 90degree rotate, then get a shorter actuator arm and get a mounting bracket that mounts on the inner compressor housing, rather than the outer.

Im guessing there are gazillions of off the shelf parts to allow this to be done. Anyone give me a yay or a nay!?

Cheers.

Simo
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5776.jpg   IMG_5799.jpg   IMG_5803.jpg  

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 13:51   #2
Aly
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about

That Turbo is huuuuugge
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 14:18   #3
saxo-parts
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): C2 VTR stripped, 406hdi, clio 172
iTrader Score: 27 (100%)
saxo-parts is on a distinguished road

i've turned comprssor housings on garrett off land rover tdi's just by unbolting the wastegate actuator bracket and compressing the circlip slightly, twisted the body to the desired position then re-drilling and tapping the bracket mounting holes.
saxo-parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 14:26   #4
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyslover70 View Post
i've turned comprssor housings on garrett off land rover tdi's just by unbolting the wastegate actuator bracket and compressing the circlip slightly, twisted the body to the desired position then re-drilling and tapping the bracket mounting holes.
Thanks - expected the rotation to be as simple as that. Problem being on this turbo, the actuator bracket holes are on the outside of the compressor housing, so cant re-drill.

Think I will have to move the bracket to the inner edge of the compressor housing and re-drill/tap... but then I will need a shorter actuator rod. (See picture 2 and 3)

Can the rod simply be chopped down? I've not looked at how the rod is attached.

Quote:
Old 7th February 2010, 14:26   #5
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

They just spin round you can do it your self. The only issue is the actuator. You may have to just make up a bracket if the original no longer fits. There relatively easy to make your self.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 14:49   #6
saxo-parts
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): C2 VTR stripped, 406hdi, clio 172
iTrader Score: 27 (100%)
saxo-parts is on a distinguished road

rather then shorten the rod, how about making a bent bracket up that mounts on the inner face of the housing but sets the actuator the same distance away as origanally? that way all parts are OE apart from the bracket
saxo-parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 15:06   #7
Simop
Administrator

Thanks for your ideas peeps - will have a look at this on Tuesday. Gotta dash to catch a plane. Will check back later for more input

Quote:
Old 13th February 2010, 23:28   #8
Simop
Administrator

Back from Holland - Had a bit of a nightmare trying to find a set of cir-clip pliers big enough to remove the compressor housing. Had to improvise in the end. Man, that cir-clip is TIGHT!

Managed to swing the orientation, tapped a new M6 hole, then pinched a few parts off the old turbo, to get the actuator in the correct place on the new turbo.

Need to grab an oil outlet block from somewhere now, then get it back on the car so the new pipes can be fab'd.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5829.jpg   IMG_5833.jpg   IMG_5834.jpg  

Quote:
Old 14th February 2010, 01:17   #9
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
luthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to behold

Simo,

what Turbo is that? Have you a compressor map for it and checked it's ok?

A
luthor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 01:49   #10
Simop
Administrator

Hi Andy,

I bought this unit a few years ago and have had it lying around - literally. Its a Turbo Technics Hybrid, based on T25.

I dont have a map for it, but based on my thinking at the time I bought it, it should be fine for my VTS. All comments welcome

Quote:
Old 14th February 2010, 02:28   #11
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

Pop up its serial number so we can have a look at what you have there. Look good though. Turbo Technics did some nice Hybrid back in the day.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 10:54   #12
Simop
Administrator

Serial is S145 - http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/s145.htm

If you guys have access to a range of maps, please let me see

I've been struggling to find a place to sell the oil outlet flange - seems almost everywhere in the UK is trade only for turbo components. Ebay is all direct sales from US or Japan.

Eventually stumbled across http://www.gb-ent.com/ - not ideal, but aslong as the parts arrive quickly!!!

Need to get this bolted back in place and get the fabrication done.

Quote:
Old 15th February 2010, 11:59   #13
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

luthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to behold

Try calling Turbo Dynamics in Christchurch for the outley flange. You may need to weld in a metal tube so you can jubilee on your oil drain pipe

Andy
Old 15th February 2010, 12:11   #14
manc
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Pug 207
iTrader Score: 29 (100%)
manc is a glorious beacon of lightmanc is a glorious beacon of lightmanc is a glorious beacon of lightmanc is a glorious beacon of lightmanc is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Serial is S145 - http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/s145.htm

If you guys have access to a range of maps, please let me see

I've been struggling to find a place to sell the oil outlet flange - seems almost everywhere in the UK is trade only for turbo components. Ebay is all direct sales from US or Japan.

Eventually stumbled across http://www.gb-ent.com/ - not ideal, but aslong as the parts arrive quickly!!!

Need to get this bolted back in place and get the fabrication done.
I've used a oil outlet from gb-ent, seemed good quality, delivery was on-time, recommend it & them make sure the spacing/sizing is correct as per your turbo...

manc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:09   #15
Simop
Administrator

I've now ordered the required parts - just need them to arrive!
Attached Thumbnails
turbo_oil_drain.jpg   turbo_drain_elbow.jpg  

Quote:
Old 15th February 2010, 12:13   #16
Simop
Administrator

Thanks - I'd not heard of them before!

The parts are listed to fit my turbo, so should be fine.

Quote:
Old 17th February 2010, 10:20   #17
Simop
Administrator

Parts have arrived - can get the blower mounted properly at last!

Quote:
Old 17th February 2010, 20:12   #18
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

so is the only difference in that unit being the 360 degree thrust bearing? that unit looks exactly like the t25 i have for the vtr, although mine is from an s13, was thinking abou upgrading to a 360 if i stick with this turbo and after looking at it im very tempted as its in quite good nick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 22:27   #19
Simop
Administrator

Pretty sure mine is a hybrid for the S13. 360 degree bearing and some impellor work is usually the differences.

Quote:
Old 17th February 2010, 22:33   #20
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Just need an ECU now Simo

Kind regards

Andy