Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th September 2018, 18:58   #1
karl_mh
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI - 106 GTI shell - New 106 Rallye shell
karl_mh is on a distinguished road
Default DOT 5 brake fluid problem

Ive just completed the modification of my braided brake lines to fit a newly installed Satchshift hydraulic handbrake, prior to me getting my hands on the car the brake lines were already primed with brake fluid. During the brake line mods I've had to drain the fluid and I'm now at the point of replenishing the lost fluid, however, after further investigation I've discovered that the fluid is what I think is DOT 5.

Anyone out there a brake fluid oracle?

Based on what information I can find on the inter web it seems the DOT 5 is purple in colour - this appears to be the same colour as mine.

From what I can gather, you can't mix DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 with DOT 5 "they say" its not really used as a performance braking fluid unlike DOT 4 so this now poses a problem......is it possible to completely flush out the DOT 5 and replace it with DOT 4 without any adverse effects to the braking system / seals? I've read some horror stories about mixing the two, anyone had the same issues.

Others also say that the pedal can get a little spongy which in my book is never good.

Last edited by karl_mh; 15th September 2018 at 19:02.
karl_mh is offline   Reply With Quote