Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 22nd May 2009, 13:18   #1
phillyh
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

Car(s): 1.6 16v Clio
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
phillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant future
Default A new job...

Ive been given a chance to take photos in a local nightclub everyweek (if my works ok)!

Now this is great, I study photography, but have NEVER taken pics in a club before.

Im guessing ISO will be about 200-400, and an app of about 5-8ish.

Any other tips? (Ryan? )

Plus, flash wise, I havent got a flash now except for the crappy one on the camera (350D). What decent ones are about, but cheap-ish?

Thanks guys!
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:23   #2
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Get a 580ex flashgun. Honestly I much much much prefer it to my 430 in clubs. Kerso is selling them for sub £300 atm.

Iso most people shoot at 800.

Check my threads i leave all the exif intact so you can see... etc..

Both sayer and myself can help you i expect
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:53   #3
phillyh
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

phillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant futurephillyh has a brilliant future

Cheers mate, will check out your threads now

Thanks!
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:02   #4
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

you can probably break it down into a number of 'tasks' that you'll want to cover during the night dude.

people shots,
DJ shots
Ambient shots

all three require different settings and approaches... DJ shots I'm shit at quite frankly.
To save arseing on and limiting one of your variables on the night (it's best just to stick the ISO to about 800, I think the 350d will scrape by ok and the punters certainly will not notice on the screen when you show them and once they're resized the noise will be all but a thing of the past.
you NEED a flashgun, I can't emphasis this enough. Make sure your battery on your camera is charged and maybe get another spare if you havent already because the flash from the camera will eat the battery like a starving somali.

think that's about it... :eer:

Here's mynightclub pics if you want examples to get you going.

ads
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:07   #5
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Also find out what shots the client wants and maybe order glass you need for it.

for example ministry specifically asked me for lots of fisheye shots of the crowd going mad, so I had to go buy one, ok cost me intially but has paid for itself easily now.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:08   #6
phillyh
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

Wow cheers ads, great pics btw!

Im going to buy another flash gun this weekend (dropped my old one in the bath, long story)

My brief for the pics is basically "people having fun", lol
So I am kind of open to what I can take pictures of, maybe even the
guys doing crazy shit on the cocktail bar!

Thanks again guys, REAL help!

edit: Ryan, they mentioned using a fisheye as they look 'cool'.

I think for the first night I will go out and take what i want to take with the outlined brief in mind.
And then experiment with a fish if they want me to!
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:13   #7
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

A fisheye will be A BIG investment though its about £400+ for one, an attachment in a club wont cut it imo.

Also fisheyes fat/ugly chicks hate them they make them look more ugly and whine like little piggies at feeding time about it.

I may be selling my fisheye soon as it wont work that well on the 1D so need to buy a new one myself
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:16   #8
phillyh
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

lol at the fisheye and fat chicks!

Im holding on the fish eye at the moment, if your selling yours give me a shout dude.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:18   #9
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

I expect ill be selling a fat load of gear soon as ive switched from 1.6 crop factor to 1.3.

who knows when ill sell shit though, fisheye wont be going for sure till i have a new replacment as its used weekly with my clients
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:33   #10
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

only image I have of a fisheye adaptor lens...
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:35   #11
Chrisp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Megane Coupe/Convertible Diesel
Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I expect ill be selling a fat load of gear soon as ive switched from 1.6 crop factor to 1.3.

who knows when ill sell shit though, fisheye wont be going for sure till i have a new replacment as its used weekly with my clients
Let me know what gear you're getting rid of...... I was looking at Fisheyes the other day and though they could come in quite nice if I started taking more shots at wedding etc.

Was an Usher at one a couple of weeks ago, so couldn't take that many shots, but was quite pleased with some of the shots I did manage to take inbetween my Ushering duties!

Chris
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:36   #12
Chrisp
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Megane Coupe/Convertible Diesel
Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!Chris is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post

only image I have of a fisheye adaptor lens...
What do you mean my fish eye ADAPTOR lens?
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:46   #13
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What do you mean my fish eye ADAPTOR lens?
cheapo rubbish that just screws on to the front of a standard lens.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=f...ptos&_osacat=0
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:48   #14
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Adaptor lens = an adaptor that bolts on over a normal lens in most cases.

Proper fisheye is one designed to do so.

Chris 18-50 is for sale now, I expect aigma 10-20/17-35 and then finally the 10mm fisheye will all be going. Like i say though the fisheye wont be going till I have a new one, so if anyone pms me saying they want to buy it now they will get a not polite pm in return
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:19   #15
jaybiss
Saxperience Hardcore!
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Two Tone Sax
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!jaybiss is absolutely fabulous!

10-20 plus fishpie prices please ryan
jaybiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:23   #16
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybiss View Post
10-20 plus fishpie prices please ryan
Fisheye wont be going for a while jay

10-20 I would expect to be £300 ish and fisheye around £400-450 (fisheye atm new is £570 atm), which is why im hoping to find someone who will want to trade for a 15mm one.