Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 18th June 2004, 16:02   #1
Robbie
L-plater

Robbie is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

My VTR engine sounds a bit "ticky" when i rev it and at idle! A bit like its running with no oil but no where near as bad, if that makes sense!?!?!

All the sound deadening from the bonnets been removed, so dont know if it was always there, but the car was serviced last month no problems were mentioned.

Its relatively standard apart from a filter/exhaust and its done 48,000 miles

Any suggestions? is this anything out of the ordinary to worry about?
Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 16:55   #2
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

sounds like your tappets are noisy or your injectors are a little noisy.

Try using some redex injector treatment and reset the tappets as per the haynes manual.

Really nothing to worry about

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 17:13   #3
Robbie
L-plater

ahh ok cool! Always get paranoid - thought i needed a new engine!
Old 18th June 2004, 20:10   #4
houstie
Infrequent Poster

houstie is on a distinguished road

Scott

Is resetting the tappets fairly easy to do,

How easy - and how quickly can it be done, i have noticed that myself on occasions, but like you say nothings transpired so i've never worried about it

cheers
houstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2004, 20:25   #5
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

you have a vts? if so the vts has hydraulic tappets which are self adjusting. I personally have never touched my tappets but from the haynes it looks like a fairly easy job to do

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 18th June 2004, 20:58   #6
houstie
Infrequent Poster

It is a VTS so i shouldn't need to touch them...

But what about your point about the injectors, Are they a bit more complex? i mean it's probably me being picky, most of the time you don't even here it.

Cheers
Old 18th June 2004, 21:38   #7
Scottp
Administrator

saxos seem to have noisy injectors as standard

try running some injector cleaner through see if that quietens them down any

Old 18th June 2004, 21:40   #8
houstie
Infrequent Poster

Will do scotty,

Could you recommend one mate, or are they all pretty much xxx
Old 18th June 2004, 23:25   #9
oz_bornep
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Skoda Octavia Estate - Silver Skoda Fabia VRS - L
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!oz_borne is a great team player!

Scott is a god. I shall be trying the tappet thingy as mine is runny a little noisy. I also wreckmon the 'wining' i'm hearing is a belt of some description. The guys who did my service fitted a new oil filter and it's leaking, so getting that done.

My teppets are noisy too robbie so i'll let you know. you sorted yours?

Old 19th June 2004, 04:39   #10
Scottp
Administrator

i have used redex injector treatment before and it seemed to quienten my injectors a bit and done the engine and my fuel economy some good

Old 19th June 2004, 04:44   #11
GAV_FURIO
Infrequent Poster

GAV_FURIO is on a distinguished road

think i'll try that mine are noisey at the lights and stuff

cheers gav

GAV_FURIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2004, 05:29   #12
Robbie
L-plater

Yeah, cheers for the advice Scott!

Roped my friend into taking a look tommorow, so hopefully all be sorted. Funny engine noisy really annoy me!

Weird how a few of us seem to be having a similar noise goin on!
Old 21st June 2004, 02:00   #13
Robbie
L-plater

Right, after chatting to a couple of people apparently ive got hydraulic tappets!!

they changed from mechanical to hydraulic in 1998 - and ive got a '98 S plate with the grey rocker cover!!

Apparently the only option is to replace them? Any idea how much new tappets would be?
Old 21st June 2004, 02:12   #14
Storm_Force
L-plater

Car(s): 2006 (56) RenaultSport Clio 197
Storm_Force is on a distinguished road

ooo mines a VTR 98 R with the black rocker cover, mines a tad noisy so will take a look at it, will try the stuff scott was on about redex injector treatment see if thats makes it any better.
Storm_Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2004, 15:35   #15
supersav
Regular Poster

supersav has a spectacular aura aboutsupersav has a spectacular aura aboutsupersav has a spectacular aura about

It is possible to do a little service in those hydraulic tappets.

Over time the tappets can get all gunked up inside, what you need to do is to remove them 1 at a time and firstly check the surface that the rocker arm touches, you'll know if they need to be replaced because that surface should be flat and if they're knackered the surface will resemble a dish.

I think I'm right in saying that it's important to put them back in the hole they came from, so it's best done one at a time.

If you should deam that the wear is not too bad you'll need to put them in a vice, takeing care to protect the ends with some cloth so as not to score them, and, gently squeese them.

What you should see is all the black gunge oose out of the little oil holes, and there you have it, job done.

WARNING:</font>

It is extreemly easy to knaker the tappets by doing this so great care MUST be taken.

Also, once completed, the tappets will have no oil left in them so when you first start the engine, as with a new set, the engine will sound like you've got half a tonne of nuts and bolts floating arround in the bores, VERY distressing, but after a few minutes they should fill with oil and become quiet.

If you have nut's the size of mellons then I say "good luck", if however, you're not that brave then there's no shame in getting a properly insured garage to do it for you.

Although, having said all that, there are plenty of good quality engine flushes on the market that you can dump into your oil and leave running while you enjouy a nice cuppa and a tab, then just change the oil, for the sake of 10 quid or what ever they cost, the flush may be a good first port of call.

Pete
supersav is offline   Reply With Quote