Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 12th February 2007, 12:37   #1
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!
Default Second HD with 98se

Not sure on how this would work or even if it might work.

My old man currently runs a stone age desktop running windows 98SE. It has all his work on it on the collosal 4gb HD. However it has various versions of programs he uses on it of which the newer versions have changed features that would make it more difficult to use, he does not have the installation discs for these any longer.

Now im buying him a new desktop which will have XP Pro on it new processor etc....

Now what i would like to do is remove the Harddisc from the old machine and put it in the new machine as a slave/second HD.

Will this work? Im not sure there wont be conflict or anything? Also would i be able to run the old programs he uses from the old HD and just have a shortcut on the desktop?

Any advice/pitfalls then post away

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 12:44   #2
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

Data etc will be fine, programs generally wont work because of inconsitancies in the registry (amongst other niggles) although older programs may acctually still work like this. It will just be luck which ones do or dont.

Make sure the new pc still has IDE ports for his old HDD, more & more are becoming SATA complicit (companies just dont seem to care about making things backward compatable any more)

Some of the old programs will probably have .reg files in the installation folder on the drive. If the programs dont run sometimes you can run the .reg file & it updates your registry as if the program has been installed again.

There are some websites which keep old versions of programs too, cant think of any off the top of my head though.

Will mostly be luck though i expect. Good Luck

EDIT: perhaps its .ini, my memories of this are covered in dust

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game

Last edited by Mystic; 12th February 2007 at 12:47.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 12:45   #3
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS :)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

If the drives are set to Master and slave correctly it should boot from XP ok.

If your lucky with the programs being designed for 98 and the settings are saved locally to INI files you can just run them from the 4GB HD, but if settings are saved in the registry you might have to export the settings from the 98 registry, then import into the XP registry.

Might be worth checking if the old versions of the program your dad uses can be found on the net, or him getting used to the new ones.
Old 12th February 2007, 13:07   #4
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Shit forgot all about the new machine being sata, ill check that out.

He can use the newer versions of autocad etc... however they dont have some features that the old ones have that would now cost him time to do(not sure on the features as im not interested)

Personally I would rather he just used the new HD on its own and the old machine can sit in the loft in case of emergencies plus he has all his data backed up on memory sticks or cd. Hes just being a baby and doesnt want to change his old stinky P3 machine. Was one of the first P3's in the country back then and i dread to think how much he paid for it back then

Thanks lads

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 12th February 2007, 18:11   #5
Connor_scotland
Saxperience Post Whore
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): 4th Impreza of the year - 391bhp - Audi S4 Avant,
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Connor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team memberConnor_scotland is a well respected team member

I tried to this recently with my old machine put the HDD in my new pc but the new PC is SATA :-(
Old 12th February 2007, 19:43   #6
b0t13
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Vts
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!

how u check if ya current HD is sata or IDE?
b0t13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2007, 23:02   #7
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0t13 View Post
how u check if ya current HD is sata or IDE?
By the type of connection, IDE is a big ribbon cable, Sata tends to be a little red cable.
Old 13th February 2007, 09:12   #8
Scottp
Administrator

bah new one is defo Sata, it may have the option of IDE on teh board but i doubt it.

Oh well time for the old boy to get his wallet out for the latest autocad etc...

Old 13th February 2007, 19:32   #9
CHRI5
Regular Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS Mk1
CHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really nice

you could run a dual boot system, only boot into win98 when he needs to. i did this on a few systems when xp initially came out.
Old 13th February 2007, 23:25   #10
Scottp
Administrator

thats only going to confuse him, plus the new machine appears to be SATA only.

Anyway i can rip a whole program from the old HD onto the new one? long shot maybe but not sure on the answer

Old 13th February 2007, 23:42   #11
CHRI5
Regular Poster

CHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really niceCHRI5 is just really nice

Dual boot isnt that hard really, just picking which os you want on startup of the pc. In simple terms all you would need to do is create a partition (say 5 gigs) on the new sata drive for win98 to sit on, then ghost the entire old drive onto that partition.

On another note, you could use Virtual PC (you would need a Windows 98 cd), it basically emulates another Operating System, while your using Windows XP. Then you may be able to get those programs to run in there.

If you dont want to go down that route, you may be lucky just copying the Crogram Files folders over making sure you bring hidden/system files aswell, and as people have already said tweak the registry and if your lucky some of the programs may well run under xp. I have done this before also, for some programs I needed to re-enter serial numbers again, etc... but they then ran ok after that, more complex programs may not be as kind.
Old 13th February 2007, 23:47   #12
Scottp
Administrator

it wont be complicated for me to run dual boot but for the old man i may as well walk on the ceiling

I fancy ripping all the files onto a disc and giving it a bash that way, always enjoyed a bit of investigating

Old 14th February 2007, 12:48   #13
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
thats only going to confuse him, plus the new machine appears to be SATA only.

Anyway i can rip a whole program from the old HD onto the new one? long shot maybe but not sure on the answer
You could always do as above, copy the program folder to the new pc, try running the program and see if any errors pop-up, there might be a few "File is missing" errors, but then just copy those files from 98.
If it looks like some settings are not there then you might need to export-import some registry.

Using Virtual PC is a good idea, but then you have to boot XP, then boot 98 within XP before your dad can run this program.
Old 14th February 2007, 12:53   #14
Scottp
Administrator

i think ill give ripping the files over a bash and see how that goes. Either that or he shells out the few hundred/thousand? quid for the latest autocad which has now taken these old features that they used to have and brought them back

Old 14th February 2007, 21:13   #15
CHRI5
Regular Poster

Let us know how you get on. I dont know how long these licences last for your programs but if the programs were purchased originally, free web updates/upgrades may be possible, you never know!