Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 13th November 2010, 19:10   #1
nathancoyleNI
L-plater

Car(s): MK2 VTR & MK2 VTS
nathancoyleNI is on a distinguished road
Default Braking Help Needed (any mechanics on?)

Have an 02 plate VTS. When I bought it back in April I noticed that when braking especially from higher speeds 40/50 the car shuddered alot throught the brake pedal and could feel it throught the steering wheel. Also it has a grinding noise. (Only on the drivers side, passenger side is fine).

I changed the pads and got drilled and grooved discs fitted and it seemed fine for a while. But again the shuddering and grinding started on the drivers side. So in the last couple of months Ive had 2 driveshafts, droplinks and wishbone replaced (drivers side) and another set of drilled and grooved discs. Also the calipers etc checked over. Again this was fine for another couple of weeks so I thought it was sorted.

More recently its started again, so today I took it to get checked over by kwikfit but they couldn't do anything because its too low for there ramps (40mm) I took it home and took off the caliper, checked the brakes and the pads are fine as is the caliper. So I have no idea whats wrong. I know this is a long read but hopefully someone will be able to help or maybe someones experienced it?

Any information at all would be great,

Thanks.
nathancoyleNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 22:16   #2
danvtrjones
L-plater

Car(s): saxo vtr 96
danvtrjones is on a distinguished road

did you clean the hub face (where the disc sits) with sand paper and put copper grease there as i have seen people not do this many times and wonder why there brakes make funny noises and judders
hope that helps
dan
danvtrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 00:18   #3
Reechard
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2x Mazda Mx5s, Volvo s80, Citroen DS4
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Reechard is on a distinguished road

Also interested in this as I appear to have the same problem.

I thought it might of been my driveshafts catching on the sensors, been taking my engine out and the sensors were loose. Cant see why they would cause vibrations though.
Im going to be taking everything apart and checking it all over so if I find anything I'll let you know.
Old 14th November 2010, 01:05   #4
frankie
Saxperience Addict
South West Region Member

Car(s): VTRallye
iTrader Score: 18 (95%)
frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!frankie is absolutely fabulous!

wheel bearing?

you may have the right shafts for the year of car but a wheel bearing may have been changed previously and they may have used the wrong one.

also missing from the list of replaced items
Old 14th November 2010, 01:10   #5
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

wheel bearing, warped disc due to im-proper tightening......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 01:14   #6
Reechard
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2x Mazda Mx5s, Volvo s80, Citroen DS4
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Reechard is on a distinguished road

My wheel bearings were change for the MOT about a month ago. Was there when my mate did them, correct ones for the car.
Old 14th November 2010, 06:50   #7
ClumpyVtR
Regular Poster

Car(s): Mk2 140bhp Vts
ClumpyVtR is on a distinguished road

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but im having the same problem. I recently changed the rear axle as the other 1 was flubbard and now when i brake from a fairly decent speed (50ish) the car judders pretty badly and literally a few hours ago i was on the motoryway for about 20 miles when i coud smell burning. So i pulled over and checked everything when i noticed my rear brakes were smoking like i'd slammed them on constantly but obviously no braking needed on a motorway. Warped discs? im not quite sure and if it is should i just take the discs/calipers/pads off my old axle as i had no problens with the brakes on that? cheers.
ClumpyVtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:28   #8
nathancoyleNI
L-plater

Car(s): MK2 VTR & MK2 VTS
nathancoyleNI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClumpyVtR View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble mate but im having the same problem. I recently changed the rear axle as the other 1 was flubbard and now when i brake from a fairly decent speed (50ish) the car judders pretty badly and literally a few hours ago i was on the motoryway for about 20 miles when i coud smell burning. So i pulled over and checked everything when i noticed my rear brakes were smoking like i'd slammed them on constantly but obviously no braking needed on a motorway. Warped discs? im not quite sure and if it is should i just take the discs/calipers/pads off my old axle as i had no problens with the brakes on that? cheers.
My rear pads are low, was advised to change them at mot a week ago. Could this possible have any effect on the shuddering, seeing as the previous post seems to have the same problem and looks like something to do with his rear brakes?
nathancoyleNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 12:05   #9
ClumpyVtR
Regular Poster

Car(s): Mk2 140bhp Vts
ClumpyVtR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancoyleNI View Post
My rear pads are low, was advised to change them at mot a week ago. Could this possible have any effect on the shuddering, seeing as the previous post seems to have the same problem and looks like something to do with his rear brakes?
Sorted mate the disc was warped on 1 side hope this helps
ClumpyVtR is offline   Reply With Quote