Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 30th June 2015, 20:07   #1
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Audi A4
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!
Default Dieting and stuff

I'm looking for some fairly general advice from the guys on here who are into diet / lifestyle / health. (I know there's a specific section but seems to be very quiet so thought I'd post in here)

Basically I want to lose a few inches from my stomach. I've done a bit of reading about it and have a basic idea of what I need to do, but wanted to refine things a bit with help from some of you guys.

I'm quite healthy, but due to my current diet, I have stomach fat I wanna shift, and so I think I need to go onto a low sugar, low carb diet. I normally eat a large bag of sweets and 2 / 3 choc bars per day as well as sandwiches.

The problem I have, I think, is that my job is both physically and mentally demanding, and I have to be functioning at 100% from start to finish. My concern is that if I'm not taking in carbs or sugar during my working day, I'll quickly lose concentration and not be anywhere near 100%.

Then I thought maybe I could use some form of protein shake or similar as a replacement for the sugar. It would need to be high fibre or high protein or something, but low or no sugar (.I'm diabetic).

Sooo, is there some sort of drink I can buy in powder form to make up before work everyday, to replace carbs and sugar, that'll be part of a weight-loss diet?

I'm not looking at losing the fat quickly, just over time but it'll only happen if I can reduce my carb / sugar intake.
potatopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2015, 21:09   #2
AXracing
Saxperience Forum Bum

AXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud ofAXracing has much to be proud of

There is a lot on info out there but most of it is simply rubbish. The one basic you probably know but I will say it is first is fuel in vs fuel spend. If you eat more calories than you use your body will try and store it as fat. By the sound of it your simply eating to many calories. The sugar is basically pure calories. Cut down your calories or start a sport like swimming and you will start to loose weight.

As for you having a physically and mentally demanding job sugar also harms you there. You will be up and down like a yoyo. You should be looking at eating longer chain cabs to get the energy you require. It will make it a lot easier for you. Well once you kick the sugar addiction that you probably have.

The high protein diets that cut out carbs/sugar you see are not good for people who are actually doing activities. Your body does require protein but to get energy out of it is far from ideal.

Yes balanced diet with all the carbs, fibre, protein and minerals you require is ideal.

But saying that if you are diabetic you should consult your doctor as a radical change in your diet could be very dangerous for you.
AXracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 09:29   #3
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Eat more filling foods than sandwiches, cook yourself pasta instead, have a look at more healthy snack foods and consider eating less in one portion, but more regularly through the day. Also substitute chocolate for something like fruit.
You really dont need to have any protein shake, just control your eating and keep active and the weight will naturally strip off.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 09:54   #4
manta
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): '85 Opel Manta '88 Manta GT/E '87 Rayleigh Roadi
manta is on a distinguished road

Change your meals, like for brekkie have porridge, then for lunch a salad and then for dinner I have chicken, spicy rice and veg both from steam bags.

I've lost weight and actually got some gains since I've been eating right and hitting the gym.
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 11:07   #5
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatopete View Post
I'm quite healthy [...]normally eat a large bag of sweets and 2 / 3 choc bars per day as well as sandwiches.
My concern is that if I'm not taking in carbs or sugar during my working day, I'll quickly lose concentration and not be anywhere near 100%.
Not sure how you can be 100% when eating that daily amount of crap, that's definitely not healthy. Learn how to cook and take sealed boxes of cooked foodstuffs to work with you.

Last time I did a diet to shed fat, I went fruit & veg only for 3 weeks.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 13:29   #6
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

I have a similar problem. I went through a period last year where I was leading a massively demanding project at work, trying to write a dissertation for uni, and preparing for a baby. All of which were due within a weeks period of each other. I was working 12+ hours days most days, drinking 4 cans of RedBull to stay mentally engaged, then going home late in the evening, sorting things out there and cracking open a beer to help me relax. I just ate shit because it was more convenient to nip to McDonalds on the way home, or order in a Dominoes. I got a bit of a belly and I never recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Eat more filling foods than sandwiches, cook yourself pasta instead, have a look at more healthy snack foods and consider eating less in one portion, but more regularly through the day. Also substitute chocolate for something like fruit.
This is the best thing you can do. Eat better and cut out shit.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 15:08   #7
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!

I weighed myself last night, and measured my stomach, so I can keep a record of it and see if I can make any progress.

Then today I've eaten one sandwich, two bananas and drunk a litre of water. Gonna have a reasonable (not too big) dinner tonight.

I've taken the decision to cut out all the sweets and chocolate I've been snacking on (my diabetic nurse will be pleased!) and I haven't missed it. Don't know if I'm addicted to sugar. I guess that will show in time.

I know it's gonna be a slow process, but making a start towards it is a step in the right direction.

Thanks, guys, for the advice. It's all welcome, I know I could google random stuff but you never know what to trust on t'internet.

Any more ideas are very welcome.
Old 1st July 2015, 18:05   #8
Mickswan
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2003 Icelandic Grey 16v VTR 1991 Daihatsu GTti
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mickswan is on a distinguished road

As said the sugar doesn't help as it'll perk you up but then you crash!

I'm a baked potato man, which works for me but I'm not bothered about boring food.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=452645
Mickswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 18:50   #9
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

bread is loaded with sugar and hard to process carbs, ideally you want your carbs to come from rice as it is a more neutral food compared to pasta. sweet potato is another good source as are whole peppers, lentils etc.

If you want to drop weight and tone up then something like insanity is a sure fire way to get yourself into shape in a matter of weeks, combined with a good diet then your onto a winner.

I did it 2 years ago after a army injury where i ballooned p to 14.4 stone. Diet change and a full course of insanity and i dropped down to 11.6 stone in 9 weeks. Change in appearance and more importantly general health was amazing. I got my dieting info off a steroid forum as they're the guys who actually know what they're talking about.
Old 14th July 2015, 09:16   #10
hectic_saxo

Car(s): Saxo vtr 2003
hectic_saxo is on a distinguished road

Keep an eye on portion size. Eat less but more often .. To much food in one go is where people tend to go wrong .
hectic_saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 19:40   #11
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectic_saxo View Post
Keep an eye on portion size. Eat less but more often .. To much food in one go is where people tend to go wrong .
I'm trying to cut portion sizes down. I'm 2weeks into it and I'm hoping that in another 2 weeks, when I'll weigh myself again, I'll have lost something. Might not be a lot but anything would be good.

I've had one very small bag of sweets since I started, so I think I'm doing ok considering how much sugar I was eating. Not found that part difficult either. I'm just much more conscious of my sticky-out belly now!
Old 14th October 2021, 13:09   #12
oneuser

oneuser is on a distinguished road

The most important thing to do for a good diet is to find a good source of motivation.
oneuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 12:27   #13
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Captain Obvious has entered Saxperience.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote