Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 1st August 2018, 19:18   #1
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 1.1 Forte
tastysombrero31 is on a distinguished road
Default My 03' VTS being slowly restored

So after a bit of time with the VTR, I managed to bag myself a one owner, 55k mile 2003 VTS! It's a bit of a shed on the outside and needs some bodywork repairs as well as a respray at some point. The interior is also horrible, with some horrible faux leather retrimmed seats which are going as soon as I source an OEM VTS interior. However, mechanically it needs nothing and is solid underneath so looks to be a promising investment. The VTR is now up for sale if anyone is interested.

Not got many pictures as it's sitting in my lock-up uninsured currently but I do have pictures from the ad.

The only issue with it i've found so far is the clocks - the speedo, rev counter and temp gauge seem to work fine, but the fuel gauge seems to go up and down of it's own accord and the oil temp gauge doesn't leave zero. Would that point to an issue with the clocks themselves, or 2 separate issues with the fuel sender and oil sensor?
tastysombrero31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tastysombrero31 For This Useful Post:
Old 1st August 2018, 22:54   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

I'd say 2 separate issues.

The oil temp and level sensor is one unit on this later VTS. When you turn on the ignition, the oil level is displayed on the LCD for a few seconds before shoing the mileage.

If nothing shows it could be the sensor is unplugged.

If it shows a level, but never shows temp (this takes nearly 20 mins at idle for it to read anything) it's likely the sensor has failed. it's above the oil filter, it's a green 2 pin plug.

Fuel gauge one is quite common, I think a new or second hand pump and sender unit should sort that. it MUST be from another later model saxo. Any saxo will do, the pumps are all the same. Except maybe some VTR ones. just make sure whatever pump you get has an in and an out and it's for a 2001 onwards model.
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:37   #3
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

That does look tidy,one owner 55k miles is quite the find,looking forward to the updates.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:54   #4
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
I'd say 2 separate issues.

The oil temp and level sensor is one unit on this later VTS. When you turn on the ignition, the oil level is displayed on the LCD for a few seconds before shoing the mileage.

If nothing shows it could be the sensor is unplugged.

If it shows a level, but never shows temp (this takes nearly 20 mins at idle for it to read anything) it's likely the sensor has failed. it's above the oil filter, it's a green 2 pin plug.

Fuel gauge one is quite common, I think a new or second hand pump and sender unit should sort that. it MUST be from another later model saxo. Any saxo will do, the pumps are all the same. Except maybe some VTR ones. just make sure whatever pump you get has an in and an out and it's for a 2001 onwards model.
The screen shows no oil before the mileage even though on the dipstick its got plenty, so that points towards sensor and not the clocks as well? Cheers for the advice!
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:41   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastysombrero31 View Post
The screen shows no oil before the mileage even though on the dipstick its got plenty, so that points towards sensor and not the clocks as well? Cheers for the advice!
Yeah either the sensor has died or unplugged or the wiring has frayed.

I've seen poorly secured wires melt on the exhaust before.
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:57   #6
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
Yeah either the sensor has died or unplugged or the wiring has frayed.

I've seen poorly secured wires melt on the exhaust before.
Thanks for the advice, ill look into it on my next day off!
Old 12th August 2018, 03:29   #7
saxokid100
Saxperience Addict
North Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Wickerd red VTS MK2, Two tone VTS MK2,vvc Metro..
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the rough

Always nice to see others stil enjoying these cars!!
nice red vts you have here.
saxokid100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 18:12   #8
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Long time no update I know but I've been working on this little thing!

So first off, all the interior came out for a full clean, hoover and then wet-vac. I didn't take any pictures but it was filthy and stank, I found mushed up sweets, chips, coins, wrappers, all sorts. Can tell the previous owner used it to ferry about children I didn't take any pictures of before and after but trust me, it was bad.

Next up was a clean, polish and wax. Unfortunately the paintwork has never really been looked after and is too far gone for just correction, so it'll need some work at some point. Probably a door-shut repsray to get it all one colour again. People don't realise red cars need a lot of work to stay red That'll be a while off yet though while I save the money.

Next up was sourcing a new interior, as you can see in earlier pictures the red and black faux leather wasn't the most tasteful. Managed to source a full VTS interior, including a new parcel shelf and door cars. Oh yeah, and it was free!

Only problem I can see is, the seats are obviously from an older VTS model without the airbag and the shape of the seats are different so I can't see the fabric going onto the newer shape seats with the airbag. Anyone able to figure out any work arounds for this or will it be a case of an airbag resistor?

Last up, investigate the engine oil leak. I can't work out whether it's coming from the rocker cover (which it hopefully is) or from the cam ladder seal (which I hope it isn't). Either way, it's getting a cambelt and waterpump next month so I'm going to let my mechanic sort it. If it is the cam ladder seal, at least he'll be working in a similar area and be able to kill two birds with one stone.

So that's it for now! Will upload more pics when the interior is in and it's a bit more together.
Old 4th October 2018, 16:03   #9
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Finally an update!

I've got the interior finished with new door cards, new seats and new parcel shelf. Unfortunately the seats are from an earlier model without the front seat airbags but they'll do for now until I either wire in a resistor (which I don't really want to do) or find a pair of 03 front seats (which don't come up often).

As well as this, I got my local mechanic to do the cam-belt done as well as investigate the rocker oil leak. He says that it wasn't actually the gaskets, and that for some reason the rocker cover nearest the bumper wasn't venting pressure. As such, he installed this neat little breather that bridges the 2 rocker covers.

This fix is proving it's worth as no more oil has leaked since, but does anyone know why one of the rockers may not be releasing pressure? I've checked the breather hoses that go back into the intake and they're all clear. The only thing I've found is the joiner hose from the air filter box to the throttle body is split, but I don't think that would affect it would it? On the topic, does anyone know where I could get a replacement?

Old 5th October 2018, 15:51   #10
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Couple more pics from a spirited drive today after a clean. Bodywork and paint is awful and the door skirt is hanging off but looks half decent in pictures at least.

Old 5th November 2018, 13:19   #11
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Interior is now completely sorted now thanks to a 4 hour round trip to Adam (all parts french performance - is he on here) to pick up some late model VTS seats with the correct side air bags, as well as a new wing and wing mirror for my VTR and some other minor spares.

The VTS is now SORN'd in winter hibernation so updates will be limited but I'll still get pics up of any progress I make.

My to do list over winter is:
Replace the number plates
Adjust the backbox so it sits central
Replace the split airbox elbow pipe (£34 from citroen for a bit of rubber pipe?!?!?!)
Replace the cracked boot lock/handle

Then come spring I'll look at upgrading the brake discs and pads, as well as installing the braided brake lines I bought earlier this year, as well as poly-bushing. Then onto saving for the bodywork repairs/respray!

My garage is now almost completely full of Saxo spares/seats/wheels

Old 23rd November 2018, 09:04   #12
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

RichSaxoVTR is on a distinguished road

It's looking tidy m8.
RichSaxoVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichSaxoVTR For This Useful Post:
Old 10th January 2019, 12:39   #13
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Long time without an update!

Not done much with the car over winter as it isn't stored at home so I can't do much whilst it's Sorn'd. Today however I did give the old girl a visit to warm her up and make sure she still worked.

While I was there I also planned to remove the steering wheel and install a lovely 300mm OMP wheel I bought. However, my boss was still attached to my old ebay special deep dish wheel and the nuts were rounded off so with the limited tools I had I couldn't sort it. Nonetheless, when it is back on the road I can bring it home and quickly switch the wheels as the boss and everything is already on. I did originally intent to keep this completely original however the smaller wheel will enhance the driving experience no end and it's an easy thing to return to standard. Plus it looks a lot better.

New wheel for size context

Got a couple more bits to sort in the near future - put on my pressed metal plates, source a new intake elbow as mine has split and work out why the passenger seat won't lock into place. The joys of old french cars
Old 5th February 2019, 11:34   #14
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Not a huge update but a parcel arrived today - some actual rocker cover gaskets! They're from a company on eBay called Therma-tec. I'm not sure why Citroen didn't just make rubber gaskets for these like the did the 8v's but at least this way there will be no more faffing around with gasket goo.

Old 5th February 2019, 20:27   #15
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

I hope they seal better than the ones they make for the ep3 type r.
Old 14th February 2019, 12:15   #16
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
I hope they seal better than the ones they make for the ep3 type r.
I hope so, worst comes to worst i'll just take them back out but I won't be able to put them in for a while yet.

Little update, managed to get the blue steering wheel off the boss and put the lovely little 300mm OMP one on, suits the car really well imo.

Old 22nd February 2019, 12:50   #17
tastysombrero31
Infrequent Poster

Tiny update, got round to fitting some pre-facelift tinted rear lights. Not a huge change but goes that little bit better with the red paint imo. Before and after pictures don't really do the darker lights justice but the outside ones are better.

The Following User Says Thank You to tastysombrero31 For This Useful Post: