Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 28th April 2008, 01:16   #1
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!
Default Dicking around with two off camera flashes.

ok I purchased a couple of new bits and pieces the other week really as an upgrade but also to pursue another little thing I enjoy which is 'off camera flash' lighting... literally just getting into it at the moment - And not entirely sure what I'm doing if I'm honest

sadly I was the only willing person for this which makes it a pain getting focus and working with the strobes... but anyway I'd be interested to see what you think. criticisms are encouraged. I don't take offence.

Taken on a 40D Manual Mode, using a 550EX (1/16 power) and 580EX (bounce card - 1/32 -0.7 power)

Sorry I look like a paedo

Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 01:18   #2
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

shit sorry, lens was a Canon 50mm f/1.8 mkII
Old 28th April 2008, 01:18   #3
Noddy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 Posi Blue 1.1
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!Noddy is absolutely fabulous!

to me, the second and last pics there look the best for level and gradient of lighting on your face
Old 28th April 2008, 01:23   #4
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

having looked at them on here they look quite under exposed feck
Old 28th April 2008, 01:24   #5
TU-Tuning
Saxperience Hardcore!
South West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): JP4urio, 306 DTurbo SportShed
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!TU-Tuning is absolutely fabulous!

Second ones the best mate, lightings spot on. Others, possibly a bit to light in the back ground?

Never found you intimidating before, unless it was in some kind of university challenge thang, but to be fair you look like a nutter in 2 of them. Although you look slightly violated in the third one
TU-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 01:30   #6
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
to me, the second and last pics there look the best for level and gradient of lighting on your face
thanks dude... yeah I slightly over did one side so you get this very clear transition over the middle of face which messes things up... will probably get another 580 end of next month as I need a third to set this shizzle up properly and LOVE the flash, the fact you can stop the flash power down in 3rds is simply awesome and gives you so much control.

cheers dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Saxo View Post
Second ones the best mate, lightings spot on. Others, possibly a bit to light in the back ground?

Never found you intimidating before, unless it was in some kind of university challenge thang, but to be fair you look like a nutter in 2 of them. Although you look slightly violated in the third one
hahahahaha... if I smile I look a total tit. my hair looks a mess at the moment not the greatest happy shots of me even though I'm a happy happy happy person

Thanks mofo
Old 28th April 2008, 01:43   #7
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

for a first attempt they arent bad mate, i havent had much experience using multiple speedlights, when i do studio portraits i use a full bowens studio lighting kit. there are a couple of principles you may want to look into which you may not have covered in your photography work so far.
Inverse square law a good understanding in this make setting up light so much easier. basically if you double the distance the subject is standing from the light it will quarter the power of it as the light effectively becomes 'dilutted' over a larger area

this technique is essential for lighting the background of a studio shoot. for a white background to look white it will need to be illuminated by lights (usually +1 stop more than the main subject light). however with inverse square law you can experiement with creating gradients, as the light falls off on the background it will turn to grey.

as you can see from this pic i shot of my mate dicking around lol it only has one light on the background therefore it produces a gradient from white to grey.

side lighting the subject and not using any softboxes will produce high contrast, moody images

the use of reflectors are important too, this one is lit from the left and then light is reflected back into the face

you will soon learn by playing around with stuff
anymore questions just ask mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.

Last edited by Jungle_Jim; 28th April 2008 at 01:49.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 02:07   #8
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

you have beautiful eyes

good pics for a first attempt ads.

keep practicing and youll be making ryan cry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 09:49   #9
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Jimster, sorry man read that last night but was getting a tad too late for a reply. seriously thanks for the tips. Great work as ever. Yeah the inverse square law actually threw me a little (was using it to get the right exposure for my pics) but generally things like that tend to constrain rather than aid me more some reason

Awesome shots... will have another play some time soon.

Thanks
Old 28th April 2008, 22:43   #10
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

ok why do a few members have my pics as avatars?

Old 28th April 2008, 22:47   #11
Audrey_D
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Silver Saxo VTR
Audrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
ok why do a few members have my pics as avatars?

I had noticed that...tad mean if you ask me...

(but a very good idea! )

How awesome are the pics on here!!

Second Show as RMO - Best Club Stand Trophy!
Audrey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 01:13   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
keep practicing and youll be making ryan cry
or not. if i was worried about adams work i wouldnt hire him to work at ministry would I?

stop the retardation dude.