Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 21st January 2008, 17:46   #1
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!
Default Motorsport photography

Right as alot of people on the forum are getting cameras/SLRs there seems to be alot of interest into motorsport photography. I dont claim to be the best but here are a few tips from what ive picked up over the last 2 years.

setting the camera up, for motorsport most people will need to use TV mode on an SLR as they are not confident in full manual. I also advise setting the camera up on AI servo function with a center point focus system. This will help track the cars are speed as most of the images people take are center frame, obviously for more creative stuff you can move the focus points about. I usually aim to shoot at iso 100 for image quality, but for example the british weather or trees dont allways make this possible, and so you will need to adjust the iso accordingly to keep the shutter speed you want.

Panning
one of the most fun shots imo, and really shows the speed of the vehicle (if the shutter speed is correct) the shot is mostly a side on shot and the aim is to move/pan with the vehicle staying in the frame. This is where AI servo will help as on most slrs you will have the button depressed half way to track and autofocus on the vehicle, until you depress the button fully to take the image. Panning at the speed of the vehicles and maintaining the vehicle in full frame can be hard at first as you need to get your body used to moving in syn with the car. For most shots id advise setting the camera to 1/125 of a second for a good crispt shot that shows speed. However for faster vehicles (say an F1 car) you might need to go faster, and obviously the more confident you get the slower you can go with the shutter to show more speed in the image. At a shutter of 1/125 the aperture is such that the car will be mostly all in focus, if not all, and due to the speed have blurred wheels and back ground.

a few pans.

if you want to get a bit more creative with angles

Head on shot
at most places you are shooting through a fence, so if your lens has it set it to the maximum distance for focusing, (some canons are 1.5 or 2.5M) to avoid it trying to focus on the fence. The camera for a head on shot will usually need a faster shutter speed, ranging from 1/320 - 1/500. Same as before pick the car up early and use the AI servo to track the car coming towards you, once you feel you are happy with the framing hit the shot. This shot you will tend to get alot in braking zones, and so smoke/flames/crashes can be caught if you are on the ball.

Head on shot in the trees

you can also make use of the viewing places and slopes of tracks to get a slightly different shot of the vehicle head on, from above. This can be alot harder to track as you may be moving all over the place, and sometimes if you have an image stabilised lens it may throw a spaz on you.

the 3/4 shot
This is very similar to the head on shot, but obviously can create alot more depth to the image as you have more vehicle in shot, and can have the ability to show more speed. For shutter speeds i try and use 1/250-1/320 but can adjust either way depending on speed. As with all AI servo to track the car, from the right angle you can get the vehicle entering or exiting a corner for a cool shot. The technique is very similar to panning as you have some form of side angle in your shot.

Through the TV flap at clearways (brands hatch)

you can get more creative again the more confident you get.

If you have the right focal length you can also play with some cropped shots from this angle, focusing on wheels/helmets etc..

Thats the basics for now, i will add more when i get time. Remeber this is just a guide and you should play with your camera/speed settings to find where you are comfortable.

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan; 21st January 2008 at 17:49.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Old 21st January 2008, 17:49   #2
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

remember to add the bit about if you're crap at it, you get an IS lens
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 17:52   #3
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

you can show me what you mean when i see you in london

but for people who understand all the technical jargon, thats a good guide, with some very good pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 17:52   #4
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
remember to add the bit about if you're crap at it, you get an IS lens
remeber to add the bit even with IS adam still couldnt get sharp pics on low shutter speeds like me
Old 21st January 2008, 18:00   #5
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

remember to add the bit adam only had 2 mins to work out how to use the bloody thing
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 18:02   #6
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

stop spamming my guide you fuckers or ill have to delete it and start a new thread!
Old 21st January 2008, 18:08   #7
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

Great guide mate, i found for panning shots that its easier to track one part of the car, for instance if you follow just the wing mirror then the rest of the will be sharp (depending upon aperture) where as if you just try to pan the whole car in the frame it is quite easy to end up moving it up and down, making the final image ruined with camera shake

Edit: to clean the thread use the moderation drop down box mate on the right handside below the final post, then if you tick the post it can be deleted or merge etc etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2008, 18:10   #8
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Great guide mate, i found for panning shots that its easier to track one part of the car, for instance if you follow just the wing mirror then the rest of the will be sharp (depending upon aperture) where as if you just try to pan the whole car in the frame it is quite easy to end up moving it up and down, making the final image ruined with camera shake
the number on the door is a great place to. The lock on seems to be good there from what ive found, why center point focus tends to work well as 90% of the time this is center frame.

I know about cleaning thread, just thought id tell em to shut it

Last edited by Ryan; 21st January 2008 at 18:27.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:13   #9
mattchewone
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Passat Oil Burner
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!mattchewone is absolutely fabulous!

Great guide Ryan only just noticed this.
Old 12th May 2008, 12:31   #10
Audrey_D
Established Member
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Silver Saxo VTR
Audrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team memberAudrey_D is a well respected team member

I prob should have read this before yesterday. Didnt even notice it

Second Show as RMO - Best Club Stand Trophy!
Audrey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 23:26   #11
Shellz
Saxperience Forum Bum
East Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 206 Quicksilver
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Shellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant futureShellz has a brilliant future

I think i understood it.

Will see what happens at Bruntingthrope on Sunday!
Old 18th March 2009, 21:10   #12
jus_tin
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk 1 VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
jus_tin has a spectacular aura aboutjus_tin has a spectacular aura about

those pictures are f*ckin sick mate... love em.... so much so i think i just creamed my pants - whoops...
jus_tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 21:27   #13
Nick_T
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): 8valve tbh
Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!

Im more swayed towards rally photography than track photography (probably due to the fact when i go to a track im usually on it )
Got a few rally pics:

C2 GT 1.6i | HID's | 4" magnex full system | boss hyper black 17" alloys | Kumho Rubber | Spax RSX coilovers | BMC & samco | GMC s/s manifold | ECU re-map by Angel Tuning |Brembo's 4 pots 305mm x 28mm|rear 20 groove discs| 125bhp / 123.7 lb ft @5761rpm | **FCS BEST C2 2008**

Last edited by Nick_T; 18th March 2009 at 22:03.
Nick_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 21:31   #14
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Care to explain how a photo of a stationary vehicle and a driver is going to help people set up for moving shots nick
Old 18th March 2009, 21:38   #15
Nick_T
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!Nick_T is absolutely fabulous!

Only 1 is stationary plus a driver but there are more aspects to motorsport than moving cars.
For example:

C2 GT 1.6i | HID's | 4" magnex full system | boss hyper black 17" alloys | Kumho Rubber | Spax RSX coilovers | BMC & samco | GMC s/s manifold | ECU re-map by Angel Tuning |Brembo's 4 pots 305mm x 28mm|rear 20 groove discs| 125bhp / 123.7 lb ft @5761rpm | **FCS BEST C2 2008**
Old 18th March 2009, 21:51   #16
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

so a driver and a car shot are both still shots

Its guide mate, not a share photos thread. If you are that keen on posting, add settings and explanations to help members as thats what this he here for

Last edited by Ryan; 18th March 2009 at 21:53.
Old 18th March 2009, 22:03   #17
Nick_T
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Yeah ok mate understood, i'll add some settings tomorrow, in the mean time i'll remove the stills haha
Old 18th March 2009, 22:04   #18
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_T View Post
Yeah ok mate understood, i'll add some settings tomorrow, in the mean time i'll remove the stills haha
coolio, add the settings and explanations so everyone can read and understand. Tis what a guides for
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:31   #19
c7borg
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
c7borg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_T View Post
Im more swayed towards rally photography than track photography (probably due to the fact when i go to a track im usually on it )
Got a few rally pics:

Not sure if you're still around but was a couple of those pics from the ypres rally in belgium? I've marshalled there a few times beautiful town square!
c7borg is offline   Reply With Quote