Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 13th May 2007, 17:48   #21
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I've already said it's ok for the money. All the others are a whole chunk more cash.

Simo - if you want focal length and only shoot in really good light then it's fine, wait until you shoot a rally in a rainy dark forest! the 100-400 needs good light or you find yourself at the limit of your ISO range. why don't you want to mess with converters??

Ad - Canon 100-400 vs 50-500 is a good one, but the Canon is better.

Fair comment Dave.. F4 is not the best.

I was considering a 200mm with x2 teleconverter but at the time I looked autofocus was not possible with the conevrter.

I recall Canon bring out a 200mm F2.8 which could be used properly with a x2 converter, but the combined price was more than the 400. Better F and more flexible I guess though...

I know your a fan of Sigma (or rather a hater of the Canon stigma) but Ive honestly never looked at Sigma equivalents.

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 17:55   #22
DaveG
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Pug 306 GTi-6
DaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to behold

Ad - look at Sigma's website, that explains all about Apochromatic glass etc.

Si - prime lenses are good but fast ones are expensive and as you say not flexible.
Old 13th May 2007, 17:55   #23
DaveG
Frequent Poster

DaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to beholdDaveG is a splendid one to behold

oh and it's a larger f stop rather than a 'better' one
Old 13th May 2007, 17:57   #24
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Si - prime lenses are good but fast ones are expensive and as you say not flexible.
i know its not tele but i did buy a 50mm F1.8 bloody hell all i want is primes now... contrast is fantastic... bit too long for portraity(ish) people work but cracking nevertheless.

cheers dave having a gander now...

edit: ahhh makes sense now... refractive indexes of differing wavelengths of light. That would affect a DSLR in the same way as a 35mm surely?

Last edited by Barry123; 13th May 2007 at 18:00.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 17:59   #25
Simop
Administrator

Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
oh and it's a larger f stop rather than a 'better' one
picky, picky

Quote:
Old 13th May 2007, 18:03   #26
DaveG
Frequent Poster

not being picky at all, trying to help you understand it.

ads - I guess so. I bought a 50mm 1.8 and used it once haha
Old 13th May 2007, 18:06   #27
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

yeah i know what you mean... its a tad limited. I tend to use my camera for taking pictures of me and my pissed house mates so its getting used a fair bit. Its kind of made me realise how soft the 17-35 is
Old 13th May 2007, 18:21   #28
DaveG
Frequent Poster

just don't subject the 50mm to any heavy use, it'll break.

again a good lens for the £ but not very sharp wide open
Old 13th May 2007, 18:25   #29
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

yeah read the 39048348 warnings by users about the build quality and the focus mechanism... honestly I was expecting it to be louder than a concert judging by some of the comments. havent used the lens on F1.8 yet... seems bloody good at F4 but ive never tried the prosumer lenses as a comparison.
Old 13th May 2007, 18:37   #30
DaveG
Frequent Poster

the only problem I found with the AF on mine was it was very inaccurate and hunted a fair bit
Old 13th May 2007, 18:44   #31
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

havent really seen a problem with that tbh...

which one do you have MKI or MKII? F1.8 ya?
Old 13th May 2007, 18:59   #32
DaveG
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I bought a 50mm 1.8 and used it once haha
Was a MkII, sold it for more than I paid for it
Old 16th May 2007, 19:21   #33
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

update... well it was sent monday... arrived yesterday, but i picked it up today.

boom. no addtional charges

grand total £96.99

one very happy adsayer
Old 18th May 2007, 14:09   #34
DaveG
Frequent Poster

Result, now get some pics with it
Old 18th May 2007, 18:13   #35
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Result, now get some pics with it
uber slackness on my part I havent even used it yet
Old 21st May 2007, 18:16   #36
DaveG
Frequent Poster

Lame
Old 21st May 2007, 18:30   #37
Simop
Administrator

Thanks for the kick Dave.

I decided against the older 100-400 and opted for a 70-200 IS 2.8 with a x2 converter. A better quality lens with more flexibility I guess.

If the 70-200 is f2.8 through the focal length, with the x2 converter on, that will make it f4 static wont it?

Quote:
Old 21st May 2007, 18:36   #38
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Thanks for the kick Dave.

I decided against the older 100-400 and opted for a 70-200 IS 2.8 with a x2 converter. A better quality lens with more flexibility I guess.

If the 70-200 is f2.8 through the focal length, with the x2 converter on, that will make it f4 static wont it?
exactly the set up i intend on going for there.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:40   #39
Simop
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsafastworld85 View Post
exactly the set up i intend on going for there.
Wanna go halves?.... you can use it mon-fri, I'll use it at the weekends

Quote:
Old 21st May 2007, 18:50   #40
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Wanna go halves?.... you can use it mon-fri, I'll use it at the weekends

haha!!! not cheap is it! its come down in price by about £250 in the last few months though from what ive seen.