Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 1st August 2019, 15:09   #1
Alexa
L-plater

Alexa is on a distinguished road
Default Engine choking

Sometimes it happens after touching accelerator it would choke its self up and cut out on its own.Any ideas???
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 15:10   #2
Alexa
L-plater

It's 1.4 55kw petrol engine.
Old 1st August 2019, 15:20   #3
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Get it serviced.

Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 15:58   #4
Alexa
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Get it serviced.

Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs

Everything is changed including oil+filter.
Old 1st August 2019, 18:21   #5
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Idle control valve sticking?
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 19:41   #6
Alexa
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
Idle control valve sticking?
Is there some way I can check this valve?
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:36   #7
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

If you have a search on here there was a guide on cleaning the icv.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 20:44   #8
Alexa
L-plater

Can lambda sensor cause this issue?
Old 15th August 2019, 19:34   #9
Alexa
L-plater

After I disconnected first ,and then second lambda there is no warning light on the dashboard when I start the engine.Is this indicating that something is wrong with ECU?
Old 16th August 2019, 18:05   #10
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

Probably worth plugging in an obd2 socket, you can get cheap bluetooth ones online and get a free phone app like torque lite to check the codes.
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 23:52   #11
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

How long will the car run between choking and cutting out ? I had this problem but the car would't run any longer than about 5 minutes before doing this. Start the car again and it ran fine again for a few minutes. In my case there were broken wires at the lambda sensor (my car only has one sensor, yours has two but the 2nd one is not involved with fuelling so it would need to be the first one).

It may not be this, just sharing my experience. I couldn't believe that this could happen if there is no Lamda signal, but it was in my case.

I have found that the ECU does not always seem to notice lambda faults - I can unplug mine and it will not always throw a code, so don't assume that the lack of the EML coming on meanse the Lambda must be OK. Best thing is to get the car on a code read with live data - as said a cheap bluetooth one will work as long as the car is not too old - it needs to be OBDII to work with the bluetooth OBDII dongles. Torque is a good app as above, the lite version will let you see Lambda readings.

If you drive with full throttle (very carefully... change up gears at low revs to avoid over accelerating) the lambda signal is ignored by the ECU in the fuelling calculations. I found that when the car was choking if I floored it, it would clear up and drive fine until I backed off again, then the cycle of choking and cutting out would start again . This and the fact that switching off then on again cleared it completely, made me look at the lamda as I knew it gets ignored at full throttle and that any fuelling adjustments based on lambda reading are discarded when the engine is switched off, thus causing fuel trimming based on lambda to start fresh.
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 13:28   #12
Alexa
L-plater

I just got PSA COM diagnostic,but can't connect via Bluetooth.I hope to fix this soon and check what the problem is.
Old 27th August 2019, 15:25   #13
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Can't comment on the MIL light strategy from the ECU. But this is very likely to be the Idle control valve. The good new is it's an easy fix and therefore worth checking first.

Pop the bonnet
Locate the throttle body/butterfly
Remove the throttle body
Remove the Idle Control Valve
add a little bit of a engine oil to the plunger of the control valve and reinstall
Basically, if it gets dry it struggles to move and can't respond fast enough when the engine speed drops, so the car stalls.

There's plenty of information about this, which I'll see if I can dig out.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=174710

Last edited by Barry123; 27th August 2019 at 15:31.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2019, 16:07   #14
Alexa
L-plater

Thank you I will try it.
Old 27th August 2019, 19:16   #15
Alexa
L-plater

Here how it was.I only removed 2 screws,but it's not that easy because of a small space.

After cleaning ICV it's much better,I would say 40-50% better then it was.Thank you very much.
I still have dough ts that Oxygen sensor is causing lower response on throttle,it's still not perfect.I'm planing to check valve clearance also and see if it need an adjustment.