Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep' > Track Chat

Track Chat This forum is for general chat related to track / motorsport, including photos of builds, etc. Please keep the main forum section based upon technical discussion.

Old 16th February 2012, 10:18   #1
ClubMSV
Track / Motorsport Prep

ClubMSV is on a distinguished road
Default What track and why?

Hey guys!

I'm looking for information about what makes you like certain tracks more than others? Is it length, features, corners, price or just distance to travel??

Your thoughts on this would be great!
ClubMSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 10:34   #2
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

I like length.

Edit: Just seen your name. Looks like you actually want serious, constructive replies.

I have only done Croft, Elvington and the Nurburgring. Croft and Elvington were chosen because they are local to me and obviously the Nurburgring for the history and atmosphere.

Length wouldn't be too much of an issue if the track was fun. Good chicanes and some long sweeping bends makes Croft great fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 10:45   #3
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

As a general rule, Dangerous track are normally more exciting.

In the uk, the best tracks imo are donnington/oulton park/cadwell.

I think a longer track is normally better for experienced drivers as there's more to get
Right and the reward for getting it 'right' would be higher.

Elevations like at the ring really tingle the senses and in my perfect track there wouldn't be much flat.. Blind corners and odd cambers also make things more interesting. Although all the above could potentially be a dissaster for the novice
Old 16th February 2012, 10:47   #4
ClubMSV
Track / Motorsport Prep

haha!

Length is always great but i have a memory like a fish and forget the corners so it takes ages to learn!

I like a nice challenging corner personally! Baffled sump kind of corner !!
The Following User Says Thank You to ClubMSV For This Useful Post:
Old 16th February 2012, 10:48   #5
ClubMSV
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygti View Post
As a general rule, Dangerous track are normally more exciting.

In the uk, the best tracks imo are donnington/oulton park/cadwell.

I think a longer track is normally better for experienced drivers as there's more to get
Right and the reward for getting it 'right' would be higher.

Elevations like at the ring really tingle the senses and in my perfect track there wouldn't be much flat.. Blind corners and odd cambers also make things more interesting. Although all the above could potentially be a dissaster for the novice
Deffo agree!!

There are perfect novice tracks which more advanced drivers will find boring. Getting the right mix can be difficult!
Old 16th February 2012, 10:54   #6
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMSV View Post
Deffo agree!!

There are perfect novice tracks which more advanced drivers will find boring. Getting the right mix can be difficult!
I agree with that. I can see that if I start to do more track days I would get bored of Croft fairly quickly. As fun as it is, as Danny was saying, there needs to be bigger challenges like complex corners, cambers etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 11:12   #7
ClubMSV
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
I agree with that. I can see that if I start to do more track days I would get bored of Croft fairly quickly. As fun as it is, as Danny was saying, there needs to be bigger challenges like complex corners, cambers etc.
I have to agree with Danny also, Cadwell and Oulton are both great tracks!

The good thing about learning is most tracks will offer instruction at a good price so you can have a bit of a kick if there are things your missing specific to a track your new to.

I quite like the new silverstone layout but compared to some its very flat.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:32   #8
harry289
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Icelandic Grey Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
harry289 is on a distinguished road

Love Cadwell - decent length - 10 mins from my house - love the mountain, hall bends and goose neck, elevations are good - suits a Saxo quite well.

Would love to see this track get a good pitlane and have the BTCC and supporting championships there.
harry289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 11:50   #9
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Price is important, althgh I feel prices are reasonable if you research anyway.

Key things for me are Db limits and drive by meters, running open throttle bodies i know there is a risk I'm tripping them at somewhere like Bedford, and im not risking the 1strike and you are gone for the day policiy.

As per previous comments, garages are also another factor.i don't believe you should have to pay an extra 20 on top to have access to somewhere to safely check a car over/get access to the track. My cars been out of action (so not sure if your policy has changed) for a while but this was a reason I used to book with msv over other companies was due to the fact that there was none of the extra hidden cost crap which came with companies like javelin.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:11   #10
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

"Blind corners and odd cambers also make things more interesting".
if you like those then you will like knockhill as all the corners except the hairpin are blind entries+ adverse cambers +even the hairpin has alot of camber --the wrong way
duffus you are launching into a steep drop half way through the corner at maybe 80mph+ need to go the other way on a reverse downhill camber as well
not a long track ,but lot harder to get the perfect lap than the likes of croft and not that wide and niether are the run off areas compared to other tracks.
its also cheap for a trackday and noise limits are not very tight
good for spectators as you can see 100% of the track if you stand on the hill in the middle + you can stand anywhere around the track + see at least half the track in most places and the safety barriers are fairly close to track not like some where you are too far away to get the full feel of whats going on

Last edited by axsaxoman; 16th February 2012 at 12:16.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 15:00   #11
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

As a Novice, I like Anglesey. To be fair though it's the only place i've been so far lol!

It's perfect for the saxo's though. Great corners and nice long fast sections.

Hoping to get to Oulton park soon though so maybe my opinion will change. :-/
Alanapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 18:47   #12
Ge0_Ge
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): 106 GTI, Audi S3
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ge0_Ge is a splendid one to beholdGe0_Ge is a splendid one to beholdGe0_Ge is a splendid one to beholdGe0_Ge is a splendid one to beholdGe0_Ge is a splendid one to beholdGe0_Ge is a splendid one to beholdGe0_Ge is a splendid one to behold

Lydden is the only track I've done, enjoyed it.. Will be booking again this year. It's not the most exiting track but a brilliant place to start. Decent length, small run offs and some tight comers make it interesting.
Ge0_Ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 19:31   #13
vtectransplant
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Nothing fun anymore....
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
vtectransplant is on a distinguished road

Have to say that there are lots of things that go into my decision to do certain trackdays.

Ive done Oulton 15+ times, Anglesey, Croft and Mallory.

I think the main thing for me is the ease of living so close to OUlton, it reduces both cost and 'if anything happens what will I do' factor.

I have used so many different Organisers and that makes a huge HUGE difference.

I personally prefer paying a bit more to go with a reputable organiser as the 'dick heads' tend to go on the cheaper days. There always seem to be more tools in Scoobies and Scrappers that dont move out of the way, drive dangerously and generally act like cock ends.

Im sure there will be people who say they've been on these cheap days trouble free but I have had so many days tainted by this, for the sake of an extra £100, Id rather know that Im not going to get mowed down in the paddock or spend most of the day in a queue to get back on track.

Ive also done both OPL and sessioned days, I prefer OPL but the few sessioned days I ve done were excellent, organsied by another forum, standard of driving was top notch and it ran very smoothly.

The tracks themselves obviously play a part and I would never go back to Mallory ever again. Great little track but due to its size, you tend to spend most of the day waiting behind a 'fast' car that wont move out of the way.
Then when you do want to leave, you have to wait for the next time the barriers are opening to let you out of the centre of the circuit.

Anglesey (GP) is a beast of a track, plenty of variation and undulation but could do with garages to get away from the Irish Seawind!

Croft is a fantastic circuit but its only downfall is its lack of climbs and decents. Good run off into the crops though!! lol

Oulton is my home track so Im biased but I love it, it takes some learning to get in nailed but when you do there is no feeling like it!!

Rambling now so Ill zip it.

Last edited by vtectransplant; 16th February 2012 at 19:34. Reason: additional text
vtectransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 20:14   #14
Alanaponep
North West
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): PH2 Peugeot 106 "race" car - Currently in pieces
Alanapone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtectransplant View Post
Anglesey (GP) is a beast of a track, plenty of variation and undulation but could do with garages to get away from the Irish Seawind!
Check out Anglesey Circuit on Facebook... garages are being built!!!

CAN'T WAIT... No more tin shed that won't fit your car in!

LINKY

Sorry for the but in... continue
Alanapone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alanapone For This Useful Post:
Old 16th February 2012, 21:11   #15
vtectransplant
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Nothing fun anymore....
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
vtectransplant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanapone View Post
Check out Anglesey Circuit on Facebook... garages are being built!!!

CAN'T WAIT... No more tin shed that won't fit your car in!

LINKY

Sorry for the but in... continue
Decent!!
vtectransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:57   #16
shell-vt
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Jetta sport TDI. Saxo vts
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
shell-vt is on a distinguished road

im choosing croft as its local and i like it.
Old 17th February 2012, 09:01   #17
MuZiZZle
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): Phase 2 VTS , E61 M5
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
MuZiZZle is on a distinguished road

What are the noise limits at knockhill?
Old 17th February 2012, 10:00   #18
ClubMSV
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge0_Ge View Post
Lydden is the only track I've done, enjoyed it.. Will be booking again this year. It's not the most exiting track but a brilliant place to start. Decent length, small run offs and some tight comers make it interesting.
I have done Lydden a lot! Its just like a mini Brands, the thing that always put me off was the small run off areas. Devils elbow is a brilliant corner tho much like Graham Hill bend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtectransplant View Post
Have to say that there are lots of things that go into my decision to do certain trackdays.

Ive done Oulton 15+ times, Anglesey, Croft and Mallory.

I think the main thing for me is the ease of living so close to OUlton, it reduces both cost and 'if anything happens what will I do' factor.

I have used so many different Organisers and that makes a huge HUGE difference.

I personally prefer paying a bit more to go with a reputable organiser as the 'dick heads' tend to go on the cheaper days. There always seem to be more tools in Scoobies and Scrappers that dont move out of the way, drive dangerously and generally act like cock ends.

Im sure there will be people who say they've been on these cheap days trouble free but I have had so many days tainted by this, for the sake of an extra £100, Id rather know that Im not going to get mowed down in the paddock or spend most of the day in a queue to get back on track.

Ive also done both OPL and sessioned days, I prefer OPL but the few sessioned days I ve done were excellent, organsied by another forum, standard of driving was top notch and it ran very smoothly.

The tracks themselves obviously play a part and I would never go back to Mallory ever again. Great little track but due to its size, you tend to spend most of the day waiting behind a 'fast' car that wont move out of the way.
Then when you do want to leave, you have to wait for the next time the barriers are opening to let you out of the centre of the circuit.

Croft is a fantastic circuit but its only downfall is its lack of climbs and decents. Good run off into the crops though!! lol

Oulton is my home track so Im biased but I love it, it takes some learning to get in nailed but when you do there is no feeling like it!!

Rambling now so Ill zip it.
Great info here!!

I totally agree with what you are saying here, the extra is worth it to make sure you have a good day!

Anglesey is on my "to do list" for this year! I have always wanted to get up there but have not managed it yet. so 2012 is the year! Well thats the plan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell-vt View Post
im choosing croft as its local and i like it.
Is there anything specific you like about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZiZZle View Post
Its not one of ours, i've had a quick look on the website but it isn't obvious
Old 17th February 2012, 11:26   #19
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZiZZle View Post
There isn't any, well not when i have been on speed sunday/hot hatch days.

Sure they advise 105db but never seen it enforced, some really loud cars there my EK9 was well over 105db to.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:29   #20
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

Oh and for me, Cadwell Park is my favourite circuit. Have to travel 3hours ish to get there but its worth it!

Just the general atmosphere and location of the circuit being out the way makes it a good place to be, plus the track is great to