Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Newbies Forum...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Newbies Forum... This is a place for new members to pop in and say Hi... Don't be shy.

Old 2nd December 2017, 18:17   #1
AuntieDoDo

Car(s): Saxo 1.1 Desire - donated to my daughter by my 93y
AuntieDoDo is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie from Norn Iron

Hey all,

So, I'm on here as the riding mechanic for my daughters 2002 1.1 Saxo Desire - donated to her by my 93 year old aunt a few weeks ago.

The car's worth maybe a couple of hundred quid but I've just spent three times that putting it back on the road. New clutch, new front springs, all four calipers rebuilt and a few other minor jobs. Sailed through its MOT so we're off!

The car is quite a nice Burgundy colour with colour coded bumpers and seems well enough appointed internally with electric windows and a wind back sunroof. It will do my 17 year old eldest well for a few years until she's through Uni.

It seems a solid enough wee car, drives well albeit without much power - perfect for a new driver. Insurance seemed much cheaper than expected as well - just of £1k for her as the named daily driver!

Not too sure what to expect in terms of maintenance. The car has been sitting outside my Aunt's house for a few years with virtually no use so no doubt the suspension will cause problems over the coming months. Brakes and clutch have been done, tyres are OK, heater works. The radio code that is with the car doesn't unlock the radio but I think I'll just pull the unit out and install something with a bluetooth connection.

From what I can see the car is pretty much rust free - has anyone done a waxoyl walk-through for these cars? I tend to keep cars for a good while (like >10 years) and so tend to spend a bit of time up front injecting wax into cavities - I don't actually use waxoyl - I use a similar product from rust.co.uk that has better creep properties - important in the classic world.

Just a couple of opening questions:

1. I seem to remember the sportier saxo's having quite nice alloys - will these fit my model of car - I'm assuming they will?

2. The car has only one electronic key fob (remote central locking...oooohhh!!) but this is dead, the buttons are missing and I can't see how to get the case open - any advice? The case is a small back unit with two buttons, one larger both on one larger surface.

When I work out how photos work on here I will post a photo or two.

Cheers for now.

Al.
AuntieDoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:54   #2
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

Regarding the alloys, you need to check if your Saxo has 3 or 4 stud wheels.

If it's 4 stud, any other Saxo wheel will fit and most 106 wheels. If it's 3 stud you will have a harder time finding alloys but they do exist. Also some wheels have flat head nuts and some tapered so bear that in mind before you fit them.
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:16   #3
AuntieDoDo

Car(s): Saxo 1.1 Desire - donated to my daughter by my 93y
AuntieDoDo is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

I have realised that there is no particular science to getting the two halves of the electronic key fob apart so just need a new battery to hopefully get going, plus possibly also that reset process.

I have been able to order a replacement case for the fob as well on ebay so that will be a nice touch for the daughter.

I'll have a look at the wheel stud arrangement later. Forgot that 106 wheel work as well, means more options. Quite like those original saxo alloys though.

A.
AuntieDoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 23:56   #4
dubmike666

Car(s): 02 saxo vtr
dubmike666 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieDoDo View Post
Thanks.

I have realised that there is no particular science to getting the two halves of the electronic key fob apart so just need a new battery to hopefully get going, plus possibly also that reset process.

I have been able to order a replacement case for the fob as well on ebay so that will be a nice touch for the daughter.

I'll have a look at the wheel stud arrangement later. Forgot that 106 wheel work as well, means more options. Quite like those original saxo alloys though.

A.
i should have a clean set of vtr wheels for sale soon if intreasted
dubmike666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 23:39   #5
tarzan
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2001 black saxo furio 2001 black saxo vts
tarzan is on a distinguished road

I have a set of vtr alloys i need rid of. Would need tyres.

Located in Lurgan so handy for you.
tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote