Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 2nd March 2017, 16:25   #1
4rivers

4rivers is on a distinguished road
Default Front Brake Pads

I have a Citroen Saxo 1.5D - 2001 , with a current recorded mileage of 193,000 km . (Although, I am almost sure , the clock was wound back before I bought it in 2006 at supposedly 89,000 km - within 6 months of buying it I had to replace the alternator and starter motor - and they have a life span of 150,000 km - normally) It's just passed it's annual inspection , with flying colours - although they did comment the fire extinguisher was out of date - it's compulsory here , to have one , while in the UK , I think it is not . I average about 10,000 km a year - I am a careful driver ,I don't drive or brake hard , my days as a boy racer - are, but a distant memory . (Back in the day - it was a Mark 1 Cortina - a beast and a half, compared to a Saxo )

My front brake pads and rotors - were replaced 5 years ago - and so far I have had 51,000 km out of them , the right side (passenger side - LHD ) are almost in mint condition - some wear yes , obviously - but not enough to warrant a replacement . The left hand side however - the inner pad is slightly more worn than the ones on the right side , and the outer pad is a lot more worn - at a guess I would say there is 3.5 mm . remaining of the abrasive pad - and at a guess if I don't do anything - I could probably get away with it for another year . Neither front wheel is binding , although the right side is slightly more difficult to rotate than the left side - when the wheels are off, and it's jacked up. And as previously noted - it passed the inspection without problem - so I don't think there is any problem with the calipers .

Now the obvious answer is to change the pads - the quote from my Citroen mechanic - who is very good , but presses heavily with the pen - when writing invoices , was that new pads would be 47.19 euros a set(2), and the labour to clean the calipers, and put them on would be 54.55 euros/hr ( not incl.BTW/VAT @23% ) So therefore - I could expect a invoice for at least, 183.18 incl. BTW/VAT @23%. in reality probably more .

Now you can consider me cheap if you want - but my little Saxo , has a value of about 500 euros , due to it's age and mileage . While I want it to last as long as possible - I don't want to be spending large sums of money on it .

The problem with garages, they quote you list price for parts - while I appreciate they have to make a living - I don't believe I should be robbed . And if you turn up with your own parts - invariably you are impolitely, told, to go away .

The exact same brake pads my mechanic quoted me - I can buy for 22.66 (x2) incl BTW/VAT and delivery - link

http://www.mister-auto.be/fl/remblok...5P!61!044.html

That is quite a mark up !

Now - what I was thinking of doing , was stopping by my local to me scrapyard - and seeing if I could find a set of used brake pads - and just replacing the left side - providing I can find brake pads of the same configuration .

Question - Has anyone done this - and how did that work out for you ?
4rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:02   #2
noirsette
L-plater
South East Region Member

Car(s): '02 Citroen Saxo VTR Camaro, Trooper, Tahoe
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
noirsette is on a distinguished road

HELL NO. Never:

1) Reuse brake pads
2) Replace only one side of an axle with new pads.

Buy the pads (they come in a set containing 4 pads), replace both sides. It's not a hard job. A jack, ratchet set and a screwdriver is all you need.

The spare wheel and the wheel you took off will do as an axle stand if all you have is the widowmaker jack too.
noirsette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:07   #3
ESD1711
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): 2006 Audi A4 Avant 1999 Saxo VTS
ESD1711 is on a distinguished road

If you're confident with some basic tools and want to save yourself money, its something you should be able to attempt yourself.

If you're not confident then you're better just taking the hit and getting it done by someone who it. There's probably no more than an hour in doing them (and that's probably being generous in all honesty).

If you're not happy with the rates being charged at your garage of choice, maybe shop around a little bit and see if you can get a better rate elsewhere?
ESD1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 12:08   #4
4rivers

Many thanks, for the answers provided by noirsette and ESD1711.

I will bite the bullet and buy a set (4) of new pads , and install them myself .

There was an excellent answer (photos) given by to the question of how to change brake pads by Manu on 27th August 2010, 14:17. #9. link; http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=333243

I have read somewhere else on this forum that you need to rotate the piston , back before installing new pads - where others say just push it back .

Which is it - rotate or push ??? If it's rotate - clockwise or anti-clockwise ?
Old 8th March 2017, 09:28   #5
marlone51

marlone51 is on a distinguished road

Good decision on replacing all the 4 pads. What pads did you get?
marlone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 16:42   #6
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

I would be questioning why one side has massively worn than the other. Sounds like one caliper may be sticking.

Then you swap pads 'per axle' you want to brake in a straight line remember...
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 11:10   #7
4rivers

In answer to marlone 51 question - which brake pads - I used BREMBO - Ref: P 61 044
from Mr.Auto.be . They have a Mr.Auto.uk - it is worth noting, that the service was excellent . Brake pads arrived in 4 days , to a pick up point (in my case a local florist ) Worth checking them out - and payment can be made by transfer, if you don't have a credit card. link ; http://www.mister-auto.be/fl/remblok...5P!61!044.html