Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 13th December 2011, 23:48   #41
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
I love most of Skrillex's tunes, but will admit that his tunes do sound the same.

Also, he needs to vary his remixes more... They are all structured the same.

I can still listen to them though
They almost all seem to follow the same bloody template lol.

Then we have pretty much ideticle plug ins used etc...

Meh, I dont like dubstep but at least the likes of Nero/chase n status/modestep are able to produce things which dont sound 99% the same as everything else they produce.
Old 14th December 2011, 09:16   #42
Giraffe
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Giraffe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
You don't know much / have never studied music have you?

Breakage said it perfectly the other day; "bit crushed bass to dubstep/really fast bass heavy electro is now the amen break to d&b"

It'll have its day, then all the fanboy producers will have nothing left when they realise their lack of talent isn't useful amongst proper artists. people are just hanging off the bandwagon, I can't wait till it crashes so i don't have to hear people banging on about that "bare sick bassline init bruv"

Fair play to the guy though, he's making a lot of money by selling shit to people. And he's helping to raise the profile of EDM in the USA to make it more popular like it was through the 80s / early 90s, that can only be a good thing for several UK artists.
You've studied music? Do elaborate...

As for saying it's shit though, surely that's opinion, and if you're going to make money by selling things, people need to like it to buy it, right? Can't be that shit if people are buying...
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:12   #43
Tc24
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxos (sold), Civic
Tc24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyp View Post
You don't know much / have never studied music have you?

Breakage said it perfectly the other day; "bit crushed bass to dubstep/really fast bass heavy electro is now the amen break to d&b"

It'll have its day, then all the fanboy producers will have nothing left when they realise their lack of talent isn't useful amongst proper artists. people are just hanging off the bandwagon, I can't wait till it crashes so i don't have to hear people banging on about that "bare sick bassline init bruv"

Fair play to the guy though, he's making a lot of money by selling shit to people. And he's helping to raise the profile of EDM in the USA to make it more popular like it was through the 80s / early 90s, that can only be a good thing for several UK artists.
You're right, I've never studied music - but if you listen to something like Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, you can't say that the synth riff/hook, or whatever you "musically educated" people would like to call it isn't at all melodic or catchy. It's a well produced piece of music, even if the growly bass noises aren't to everyone's taste. People will inevitably have different musical tastes, I'm just giving my opinion.
Tc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:14   #44
Moke
Saxperience Hardcore!
North Wales Region MemberEast Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Work van che.
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Moke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Meh, I dont like dubstep but at least the likes of Nero/chase n status/modestep are able to produce things which dont sound 99% the same as everything else they produce.
I get what you mean mate, but it's what sells...

Some of the worst producers have made a lot of money.

Shit really.
Moke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 19:17   #45
sam_16v
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): mk2 VTS
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
sam_16v is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_D View Post
I'm not a huge fan but i love this tune, the video is amazing aswell!

First Of The Year (Equinox) - Skrillex [OFFICIAL] - YouTube
ive been looking for this tune i didnt know the name now i do so thanks
ASTRA MK4 2.0 SRI 16V
sam_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 01:42   #46
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
I get what you mean mate, but it's what sells...

Some of the worst producers have made a lot of money.

Shit really.
Marketing is key. Deadmau5 has a massive following, without him skrillex wouldnt be known by anyone.

*awaits comments from those who have no idea about the industry.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:27   #47
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

i like his stuff. I dont like how this new style genre spawn has got all the rock heads thinking its time to Mosh to it. Its heavy stuff. But not quite slipknot. Its like some fuck'd up genre in the middle some where. Specially now he's on it with korn...... Haters make me laugh though, its like Can you do any better ?..... Fair play if you dont like it, but some guys I've heard get unnecessarily insulting over it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 23:58   #48
iFurio
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Forteee & Furiooooo
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
iFurio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Marketing is key. Deadmau5 has a massive following, without him skrillex wouldnt be known by anyone.

*awaits comments from those who have no idea about the industry.
Hmm I wouldn't go that far, yes deadmau5 pushed him but I think he would of
Made if eventually tbh
iFurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 14:12   #49
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTagen View Post
Hmm I wouldn't go that far, yes deadmau5 pushed him but I think he would of
Made if eventually tbh
Nah, he got his following thanks to Joel.

Many people don't make it unless people are marketed correctly, hence why you have so many artists with a general manager, booking agent and guess what... A pr company looking after them.

Sonny is a nice lad as I've said, he's got one of the best teams around him to make money fast. But people raving on about his talent really need to listen to producers who can produce a track that isn't using the same template.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:42   #50
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

skillrex is shit

deadmau5 has had a few good tunes, but still shit imo
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 18:17   #51
Hatcha
Frequent Poster

Car(s): none :(
Hatcha is on a distinguished road

Hatcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 20:49   #52
iFurio
Established Member

NEW EP BANGARANG IS AMAZING, I dont care what all you haters think but I love it and him!
Old 24th December 2011, 20:53   #53
iFurio
Established Member

Quote:

I will agree that Skrillex does you some of the same sounds or most always does BUT surely that would be a good thing in a way...He can use the same sounds and write a completely different song thats written in a completely different way, and plus thats his sound, he wouldn't be skrillex if he changed it, take rock and that all them genres, the guitaring always sounds the same (the distortion on the effects pedal) its what they like to use, so yeh I agree that they are the same but the songs are always different imo
Old 24th December 2011, 22:54   #54
Craig_B
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): RenaultSport Clio 197 + Ph1 172
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Craig_B is on a distinguished road

New EP isn't as great as i was expecting. Still decent though!
Old 24th December 2011, 22:59   #55
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTagen View Post
I will agree that Skrillex does you some of the same sounds or most always does BUT surely that would be a good thing in a way...He can use the same sounds and write a completely different song thats written in a completely different way, and plus thats his sound, he wouldn't be skrillex if he changed it, take rock and that all them genres, the guitaring always sounds the same (the distortion on the effects pedal) its what they like to use, so yeh I agree that they are the same but the songs are always different imo
Rock has a multiple of different sounds. It's very very shit metal bands that all use the same heavy bass set up

Using the same template isn't doing 'your sound' it's showing you are a weak producer. They should sound different with different vocals but they are the same structure. I'm not someone who is a hater either, I'm not into that bandwagon bullshit. I've worked with loads and loads of brilliant djs and producers ans skrillex is massively overhyped by people who seem to think that producing the same shit over and over is 'skilled'
Old 25th December 2011, 22:26   #56
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Rock has a multiple of different sounds. It's very very shit metal bands that all use the same heavy bass set up

Using the same template isn't doing 'your sound' it's showing you are a weak producer. They should sound different with different vocals but they are the same structure. I'm not someone who is a hater either, I'm not into that bandwagon bullshit. I've worked with loads and loads of brilliant djs and producers ans skrillex is massively overhyped by people who seem to think that producing the same shit over and over is 'skilled'
Well said Ry.

At the end of the day, it's 'disposable' music. Fair play for being in the lime light now, but how long will 'brostep' remain the 'big thing'?

Whats a single talented producer going to do once their 10 mins of fame is over? do they have enough production skill to broaden themselves and be successful elsewhere?

Even within dubsteps (and i use the term loosely) short time in the media spot light, how many people have come and gone at the 'top' of the scene? People banged on about borgore for example when he first stepped out to the scene, people thought he had a fresh creative sound when in reality it was as generic as the rest of the bullshit out there, I never see people banging on about him now! People like Caspa, Rusko, Doorly etc are other names all the fanboys loved to bang on about, how often do they get a mention now? it's rare.

sustainability and diversity is the key to a long prosperous career within music, and as ryan says it's the sign of a weak producer to be only able to bang out the same sounds over and over again.
A good friend of mine called Nick Burne (aka, one of dnb's most respected producers: Data) is a key example, several people said he'd fell off, and lost it when he started producing less and less dnb, in reality he was working on production techniques for various genres and has landed himself a job producing music for MTV.
James Breakage is another prime example, one of DnB's finest producers, and probably technically the best producer dubstep has seen. He's not had a big release in a while, but he's certainly not fell off, and is working on various tracks for both films and TV adverts (including work for renault)

I dislike Skrillex's music, but fair play to him for making his money whilst he can. Will he be around as a renowned producer for the next decade or so? I'd put money on the answer being a solid no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender

Last edited by Ashleyp; 25th December 2011 at 22:30.
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote