Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 16th June 2010, 23:27   #1
citroen_saxo_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Vectra sri 2.6 v6
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
citroen_saxo_vtr is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel gauge fix

For all of you who has a fuel gauge issue i may have the cure. My gauge went haywire i would turn the ignition on and the red light would come on then the needle bounce 3 times, i replaced the sender unit and it cured it but iv had a 16v conversion done since and its done it again and another sender didnt cure it, i tried loads but i have now found a cure simple put a wire on a earth and hold it onto the yellow and green wire that is the end wire on the fuel pump/sender unit under the rear seat, it takes a while to register and your gauge should work! if it does get one of those little wire connectors that join two wires and connect it inline with the thicker earth next to it (green and yellow) the fuel pump earth. Make sure you do a decent job and use insolation tape round it because its near the fuel tank. The reason for the earth is because it breaks inside the dials i have now found out so when people say the dials are broken give this ago first. I have done it to mine tonight and iv since filled it with petrol and drove the car for abit and the gauge works fine. Simples. Hope this help a few of you with fuel gauge issues.

If you earth the other end wire on the plug think it was purple or pink and hold it there for a few mins to register on the gauge it should read full, i tested all of these.

Last edited by citroen_saxo_vtr; 16th June 2010 at 23:30.
citroen_saxo_vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to citroen_saxo_vtr For This Useful Post:
Old 18th June 2010, 20:40   #2
BobCm
Forum Section Moderator
Content Contributor

Car(s): My son drives a Poseidon Blue Saxo Mk2 1.6i VTR.
BobC is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Gauge Fix

The diagrams below show the modification that Matt (citroen_saxo_vtr) has made to get his fuel gauge working again; modifications in BLUE
.....>

Symptoms: Ignition on 2 clicks, fuel gauge needle bounces to FULL 3 times then returns to EMPTY and stays there.

I have dug out a diagram that I think is ok to use as it applies from RPO 8764+. [I think this is for Mk2 ?]

It shows two wires going from the dash to the petrol pump gauge sender unit 5-way BROWN connector. One wire is PINK and the other is GREEN/YELLOW.

The results:
If you hold an EARTH on the PINK wire then the gauge reads FULL
If you hold an EARTH on the GREEN/YELLOW wire then the gauge reads ACTUAL fuel level; so Matt connected it there permanently. **Interestingly this is how older models were wired up.
Matt had chased the missing earth all the way back to the dash connector and he found that the dash WAS NOT supplying the needed earth.

RPO - Find your RPO number here: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=245229

*** If this works for you then please add YOUR post below ***

Last edited by BobC; 18th June 2010 at 20:47.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BobC For This Useful Post:
Old 30th September 2011, 00:56   #3
sam_16v
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): mk2 VTS
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
sam_16v is on a distinguished road

this hasnt worked for i have earthed the green/yellow wire and it has made no difference

as soon as i turn car on gage goes straight to full 3 times and on the fourth time its at the bottom but gradually makes its way to the top
ASTRA MK4 2.0 SRI 16V
sam_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:35   #4
sam_16v
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): mk2 VTS
iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
sam_16v is on a distinguished road

bump!!!!
ASTRA MK4 2.0 SRI 16V
sam_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 17:22   #5
poweredbyvtr
L-plater

Car(s): own a saxo vtr :)
poweredbyvtr is on a distinguished road

my gauge i think is ***** to as i put 15 pound in it didn even take me out the red lol?
poweredbyvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 22:55   #6
citroen_saxo_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Vectra sri 2.6 v6
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
citroen_saxo_vtr is on a distinguished road

Test the live on the sender to. Have you earthed it to the main earth to the actual pump? asin the thick one?
Old 10th March 2013, 00:32   #7
HD7
Regular Poster

Car(s): '99 Golf GT TDi
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
HD7 is on a distinguished road

Is the sender underneath the middle flap under the rear seats?
HD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 00:40   #8
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Yes.
Old 10th March 2013, 00:45   #9
HD7
Regular Poster

Car(s): '99 Golf GT TDi
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
HD7 is on a distinguished road

Okay cheers, I'll give this a go in the morning! Obviously breakers are going to be shut tomorrow. Should this not work, how much are senders from a breaker normally?
HD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 10:08   #10
D4NNY-801
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR
D4NNY-801 is on a distinguished road

I got mine from a breaker on ebay for £30 mate
D4NNY-801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 10:55   #11
Patmar

Patmar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by citroen_saxo_vtr View Post
For all of you who has a fuel gauge issue i may have the cure. My gauge went haywire i would turn the ignition on and the red light would come on then the needle bounce 3 times, i replaced the sender unit and it cured it but iv had a 16v conversion done since and its done it again and another sender didnt cure it, i tried loads but i have now found a cure simple put a wire on a earth and hold it onto the yellow and green wire that is the end wire on the fuel pump/sender unit under the rear seat, it takes a while to register and your gauge should work! if it does get one of those little wire connectors that join two wires and connect it inline with the thicker earth next to it (green and yellow) the fuel pump earth. Make sure you do a decent job and use insolation tape round it because its near the fuel tank. The reason for the earth is because it breaks inside the dials i have now found out so when people say the dials are broken give this ago first. I have done it to mine tonight and iv since filled it with petrol and drove the car for abit and the gauge works fine. Simples. Hope this help a few of you with fuel gauge issues.

If you earth the other end wire on the plug think it was purple or pink and hold it there for a few mins to register on the gauge it should read full, i tested all of these.
exactly the same symtoms and this worked a treat on mine really appreciated
Patmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 12:17   #12
dontpannic
Infrequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Fiesta ST
dontpannic is on a distinguished road

Mine's slightly different. The fuel reserve light works, the gauge doesn't move at all. I can measure resistance when the engine is off (50ohms full, 340ohms empty), and get 5v to the sender when the engine is running.

I think my dashboard clocks are buggered. Thoughts?
dontpannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 14:03   #13
AndyMack

Car(s): Saxo VTS, phase 2 in silver.
AndyMack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
Mine's slightly different. The fuel reserve light works, the gauge doesn't move at all. I can measure resistance when the engine is off (50ohms full, 340ohms empty), and get 5v to the sender when the engine is running.

I think my dashboard clocks are buggered. Thoughts?
I'm the same as you. My reserve light still works but the gauge is stuck at almost full.

Is there a way to get the fuel gauge and check that its not just fluffed up and causing it to jam?
AndyMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 03:10   #14
Ryanoo
Established Member

Car(s): MK2 VTR.
Ryanoo is on a distinguished road

Just trying to get my head around this.

A million questions;

- Where did you get the earth to start with? Did you just put one end of a cable into the g/y connector then touched the other end to the metal work near by or did you run it to the earth point?

- Did the petrol Guage move instantly?

- To make it permanent where did you locate the thicker earth?

Mine has done this since I've had it, 3 bounces, petrol light then nothing. I just fill up full and run to 300 miles them fill up again, I changed the unit but that didn't solve the problem so I hope it is an issue with the earths.

I got a unit off of mandyslover for 30 + delivery, I still have my original one, I'm guessing there was nothing wrong with it now lol. Was on 61000 when I changed it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Ryanoo; 20th May 2013 at 03:33.
Ryanoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 10:48   #15
dontpannic
Infrequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Fiesta ST
dontpannic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMack View Post
I'm the same as you. My reserve light still works but the gauge is stuck at almost full.

Is there a way to get the fuel gauge and check that its not just fluffed up and causing it to jam?
You can rip it to bits but you'll probably find the same as me - that there's nothing visibly wrong with it.

I'll try a set of dashboard clocks at some stage and see what happens.
dontpannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 18:43   #16
simondhopkins

Car(s): MK2 Saxo 1.1i Forte 5 door MK1 Mondeo TD
simondhopkins is on a distinguished road

I just whacked the unit on the front and hey presto it worked. Worth a shot.
simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 14:52   #17
simondhopkins

Car(s): MK2 Saxo 1.1i Forte 5 door MK1 Mondeo TD
simondhopkins is on a distinguished road

Found out why it worked when I whacked it.

4 dry joints on the pcb on the black plug.

As you look at it pcb side up, its the 4 pins to the LEFT, 2 of which are the fuel gauge wire.

Have a few pictures to add.

simondhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 12:12   #18
sommek

Car(s): saxo 2000 1.1
sommek is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Ryanoo;6312766]Just trying to get my head around this.

A million questions;

- Where did you get the earth to start with? Did you just put one end of a cable into the g/y connector then touched the other end to the metal work near by or did you run it to the earth point?

Mine has done this since I've had it, 3 bounces, petrol light then nothing. I just fill up full and run to 300 miles them fill up again, I changed the unit but that didn't solve the problem so I hope it is an issue with the earths.

I got a unit off of mandyslover for 30 + delivery, I still have my original one, I'm guessing there was nothing wrong with it now lol. Was on 61000 when I changed it.

I have the exact same questions!! - Where did you get the earth to start with? Did you just put one end of a cable into the g/y connector then touched the other end to the metal work near by or did you run it to the earth point?
Could someone give us some more details please or photo if there is one?
sommek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2015, 12:16   #19
sommek

I have the exact same questions!!

[QUOTE=sommek;6502062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoo View Post
Just trying to get my head around this.

A million questions;

Old 26th January 2015, 12:17   #20
sommek

could anyone be more specific, please help?