Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 8th February 2010, 13:05   #1
saxovtr16
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo Mk2 Vtr
saxovtr16 is on a distinguished road
Default Alternator??

Hi, small problem i suppose, but when the car is running sometimes all the lights on the car flicker slightly, they dim a bit then go back to normal every few seconds, now this problem may be the power steering pump as sometimes it doesn't fire up and when it does you can hear it stopping and starting in conjunction with the lights flickering. it could just be the power steering pump draining the alternator power when trying to get going?

sometimes the power steering pump works fine sometimes it doesn't and requires a twat, also would it fail MOT if powern steering is doing this, got one coming soon.

taaaa
saxovtr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 13:06   #2
saxovtr16
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo Mk2 Vtr
saxovtr16 is on a distinguished road

doesn't always flicker either btw, jsut seems to when the power sterring pump is playing up.
saxovtr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 14:32   #3
Stevo123
Established Member

Car(s): 2000 Posi Blue vtr
Stevo123 is on a distinguished road

If your on idle speed especialy, at aprox 850rpm, and suddenly an extra electrical load is applied, in your case PAS pump then you will get avoltage drop which will dim your lights a bit.

Also if the idle is not smooth (ie ICV valve needs cleaning) and revs drop to 500rpm ish then the alternator will not be spinning fast enough to create the power needed and you will ge tthe same effect.

I notice on night driving with lights on that if I use the electric windows it pulls the voltage down enough to dim my lights a bit.
Stevo123 is offline   Reply With Quote