Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 26th February 2021, 21:52   #1
georgewatts18
L-plater

georgewatts18 is on a distinguished road
Default turbo upgrade

im wanting a bit more power out of my car now.
I've been driving round at around the 200-220 mark deepening depending what map I'm on.

current set up is milltek mani gt17 turbo and millek down pipe

what other turbo options do I have using my existing manifold+down pipe

td04hl-15t seems to be the only option I can find but does it actually fit does anyone know?

my goal is around 280hp/ whatever Megane 225 injectors roughly max at

cheers George.
georgewatts18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2021, 20:41   #2
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Im at just under 280 on a GT2259. Same manifold. Downpipe is custom though. 225 injectors still.

GT25 will get you up to 260ish I think. GT28 I've never liked on these.

The GT17 if it's the saab turbo uses that mad 3 bolt triangular flange thing, which might be the drama. But if everything else fits, then the downpipe being the only thing to change, isn't bad is it.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 22:58   #3
georgewatts18
L-plater

im not Overly fussed about making a down pipe, just looking for options where I won't have to drastically alter my set up too much. nor do I want to spend loads more money. I've heard the gt28 is bloody massive and I don't want to lose too much of the quick spool that comes with the gt17 but its running out of puff at 10/11 psi. I always revolved this build around a low budget and very pleased with how it is so far for the money. although theres still a lot to be desired form it

ultimately want to go be box rods pistons etc make a happy 270-300 but that's something for next year maybe.
Old 15th March 2021, 10:37   #4
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

advice is stay away from gt28 -- it will not fully spool up till close to 3800 rpm
seen many on dyno in the past
@3000rpm 80 bhp at wheels --3800rpm 180@wheels --comes on like hammer and really far to big for a 1600cc and not drivable inthe damp
old evo turbo is a good choice as it is small and spools up quick
just my 2 pence worth
and what clutch you going to go to with 300 bhp -- you are on a very special unit --basically a single plate 200mm6 paddle unit --by the time you make new flywheel and mod al the other bits you will be over £1000 for the clutch =flywheel assembly
Old 15th March 2021, 14:07   #5
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
advice is stay away from gt28 -- it will not fully spool up till close to 3800 rpm
seen many on dyno in the past
@3000rpm 80 bhp at wheels --3800rpm 180@wheels --comes on like hammer and really far to big for a 1600cc and not drivable inthe damp
old evo turbo is a good choice as it is small and spools up quick
just my 2 pence worth
and what clutch you going to go to with 300 bhp -- you are on a very special unit --basically a single plate 200mm6 paddle unit --by the time you make new flywheel and mod al the other bits you will be over £1000 for the clutch =flywheel assembly
That's a good point about the clutch, I totally forgot about that.

I used a 4 paddle Helix with the 'race' cover - which probably means hardly anything from the 'road' version, but hey ho. It was also 2nd hand.. so had already been used in some other turbo shed.
Anyway, It was slipping at 275bhp, so I had to turn the boost down. Gutted.

I started looking at options and like John has said, it became a costly nightmare. The lug drive things are mental money. There is nothing in the range of 250 to 300bhp or so, for clutches on these - that are still affordable.

I decided to get a new 6 paddle helix and new cover. If it slips, then I'll accept the fact, I shouldn't be so greedy and limit the boost accordingly. It's not rated for the torque, but no other cheapish cost effective solutions exist for where I am with the power.

Good luck George.
Old 16th March 2021, 11:52   #6
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

6paddle plate gives you 50% more wear area--all i ever fitted .
Old 18th March 2021, 00:53   #7
georgewatts18
L-plater

yeah I have no interest in running a gt28 as it looks a nightmare to package onto of the slow spool id like to try run something more modern from garret gt2560r ball bearing seems like quite a good option

well I'm running a new helix 4 paddle with the same race cover.

but looking into alternative gbox options heard mixed reviews about the be conversion but defiantly want something with a lsd of some kind.

the car felt so good when I had it standard with cams etc I feel I've lost some of that fun it had to offer with all the extra power so will be looking at a 4 pot brake kit and major chassis upgrades version 2 of the car is looming
Old 20th March 2021, 20:53   #8
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

I gave up on the BE idea as well, just bought a spare MA box instead and decided to treat it with respect. I'm also looking at a diff, just never pulled the trigger.

I appreciate what you mean about loosing some of the fun. Being honest, I rushed my build, to this power level, to get it over the line - I'm not sure why I did that. So I have had to redo it, which has taken 2 years. In reality, I should have left it at 180bhp which it was for many years. It was useable and reliable and ultimately fun. It being in pieces for 24 months, is not fun.

Maybe we should just buy another one each.
Old 20th March 2021, 22:56   #9
georgewatts18
L-plater

I don't think 6 paddle holds as much power as the 4 something to do with clamping force and surface area of the friction plate could be wrong.

I did the same rushed it at the last minute to make myself finish it. I feel the car just requires more refinement its very 'rough and ready' planning to do write up of it and put all the common questions into one thread but unsure where to do that.
Old 20th March 2021, 23:03   #10
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

why would there be mixed reviews for a be box? its simple, get the Satchell mounts and bolt the box in, get a diff for it, no brainer for any MA equipped vehicle that doesn't have to keep it for regulations.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2021, 22:02   #11
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewatts18 View Post
I don't think 6 paddle holds as much power as the 4 something to do with clamping force and surface area of the friction plate could be wrong.

I did the same rushed it at the last minute to make myself finish it. I feel the car just requires more refinement its very 'rough and ready' planning to do write up of it and put all the common questions into one thread but unsure where to do that.
Do it in here, where else is there, I guess. Facebook is useless for threads and is full of mongs. Hoping this survives - I've even offered to pay for it, to keep it going.

The 6 paddle shouldn't have anything specific to do with clamping force as that's the covers job. I went with the 6, as it doesn't wear as quick (apparently).
Old 21st March 2021, 23:37   #12
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

You can buy stuff for the BE conversion here also,such as the wheel hub and bearing to fit in the original strut,new.drifveshafts etc.

http://psa-evolution.com/prodotti/vi...ione-cambio-be
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2021, 01:17   #13
georgewatts18
L-plater

there's plenty of suppliers for a be conversion just expensive and a lot of work