Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 4th January 2019, 20:32   #1
Adam32
L-plater

Adam32 is on a distinguished road
Default looking for saxo windscreen

Does anyone have a windscreen for a Saxo that they are breaking? If anyone has a saxo they are breaking I could come and help you take it out, but can't pay if it cracks when taking it out.

Any offers?
Adam32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 12:41   #2
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

autoglass repair autoglass replace
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 18:54   #3
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
autoglass repair autoglass replace
No idea what you are going on about. I am not paying anywhere to fit a windscreen as it's not worth it. If I can't get a cheap windscreen I will scrap the car.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:37   #4
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam32 View Post
No idea what you are going on about. I am not paying anywhere to fit a windscreen as it's not worth it. If I can't get a cheap windscreen I will scrap the car.
So you’re willing to have a go at stripping one out but if you break it you don’t care?

£75 to buy new is it really worth the hassle?
Old 11th January 2019, 17:35   #5
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's not as simple as you think fitting a windscreen,but we'll let you find out.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 18:15   #6
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
It's not as simple as you think fitting a windscreen,but we'll let you find out.
I disagree, it is a simple job fitting it. I have done it with quite a few 4x4 vehicles over the years. Last one I did was a 1998 SSangyoung Korando. If you can run a decent bead round your bath, you can fit a windscreen. The challenge is cutting the old one out without breaking it. I have about a 50% success rate. With 2 people it is much easier to get it out without breaking it. As it's hit and miss whether it comes out in one piece, I am not willing to pay if it breaks.
Old 11th January 2019, 18:18   #7
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post

£75 to buy new is it really worth the hassle?
If I can get one out in one piece it is worth the hassle. Done quite a few over the years on 4x4 vehicles. And no, it's not worth £75. The car is barely worth that. If I can't find a windscreen in the next couple of weeks the car will be scrapped. I need the space here.
Old 11th January 2019, 18:28   #8
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
I disagree, it is a simple job fitting it. I have done it with quite a few 4x4 vehicles over the years. Last one I did was a 1998 SSangyoung Korando. If you can run a decent bead round your bath, you can fit a windscreen. The challenge is cutting the old one out without breaking it. I have about a 50% success rate. With 2 people it is much easier to get it out without breaking it. As it's hit and miss whether it comes out in one piece, I am not willing to pay if it breaks.
This made me laugh, do you realise the forces that go through a windscreen in a crash never mind a object to glass impact. The windscreen isn’t bonded in just for a laugh it’s bonded using primer and a structural sealer. No it’s not simple and the fact you said it is basically says it all. If the car isn’t worth £75 just get rid it’s another hazard taken off the road .
Old 11th January 2019, 19:10   #9
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
This made me laugh, do you realise the forces that go through a windscreen in a crash never mind a object to glass impact. The windscreen isn’t bonded in just for a laugh it’s bonded using primer and a structural sealer. No it’s not simple and the fact you said it is basically says it all. If the car isn’t worth £75 just get rid it’s another hazard taken off the road .

Your quote also made me laugh. All the windscreens I have replaced in my 4x4 vehicles have stood up to years of abuse on green lanes etc. Nothing has fallen out yet!

Sorry it's not rocket science! I have fitted all my screens with this (it does use a primer):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREE...frcectupt=true

It costs £13.99 and is decent stuff.

I am sorry, but I am missing the rocket science part. Maybe I need to go and go a PHD in windscreen fitting? If you think what I am doing is extremely dangerous, I think it's best you don't go out the house alone.
Old 12th January 2019, 13:14   #10
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Your quote also made me laugh. All the windscreens I have replaced in my 4x4 vehicles have stood up to years of abuse on green lanes etc. Nothing has fallen out yet!

Sorry it's not rocket science! I have fitted all my screens with this (it does use a primer):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREE...frcectupt=true

It costs £13.99 and is decent stuff.

I am sorry, but I am missing the rocket science part. Maybe I need to go and go a PHD in windscreen fitting? If you think what I am doing is extremely dangerous, I think it's best you don't go out the house alone.
Seems to me we have caught one. Don’t be a knob head all your life
Old 12th January 2019, 13:18   #11
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Seems to me we have caught one. Don’t be a knob head all your life

I think it's you who are being a knob head. I asked if anyone had a windscreen, and you came out with a load of patronising crap.
Old 12th January 2019, 18:49   #12
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
I think it's you who are being a knob head. I asked if anyone had a windscreen, and you came out with a load of patronising crap.
You also didn’t follow forum rules you posted in the wrong section. That sir makes you a knob head.
Old 12th January 2019, 19:35   #13
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
You also didn’t follow forum rules you posted in the wrong section. That sir makes you a knob head.
keep trolling you saddo
Old 13th January 2019, 15:39   #14
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

I wonder if your insurance company know,your windscreen has been fitted by a DIY bodger?
Old 13th January 2019, 17:02   #15
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
I wonder if your insurance company know,your windscreen has been fitted by a DIY bodger?
Never bothered with insurance in my life.
Old 18th January 2019, 14:08   #16
Furioman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Ford focus 2.0 Saxo VTS
Furioman is on a distinguished road

not sure if you going to be back, but the place you are likely to break them on removal is along the roof line there are two small standoffs pressed in to the roof panel about 80cm apart, i used one of the blade style removal tools and hit the standoff pushed the tool up and cracked the screen( was already damaged but this split it in two )

Also there are two plastic clips that set the height of the windscreen at the bottom but you will see these with the wiper panel removed, i think you would have a good chance of removal with the abrasive wire cutting tool.

once you have cut three sides out you can tilt the screen and access the last part with a stanley knife.
Old 18th January 2019, 17:44   #17
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Never bothered with insurance in my life.
Time to stop giving any help or advice to that person. Seems like the car without a windscreen is worth scrap anyway.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 15:36   #18
Adam32
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furioman View Post
not sure if you going to be back, but the place you are likely to break them on removal is along the roof line there are two small standoffs pressed in to the roof panel about 80cm apart, i used one of the blade style removal tools and hit the standoff pushed the tool up and cracked the screen( was already damaged but this split it in two )

Also there are two plastic clips that set the height of the windscreen at the bottom but you will see these with the wiper panel removed, i think you would have a good chance of removal with the abrasive wire cutting tool.

once you have cut three sides out you can tilt the screen and access the last part with a stanley knife.

I appreciate your reply, as everyone else has been a complete prick, especially bedford126 and Stevo67.

I managed to find a car with a screen on Monday at a local scrap yard and cut it out. It all came out in one piece without a crack.

This is my workflow - I made a hole with a thin knife at each corner and threaded cutting wire through. Some time ago I drilled a hole through the knife blade so it grips the wire to push it through. I then did all the corners with the wire by hand (a few inches around). Once the corners were done, I then used my MILWAUKEE C12MT multi tool with a Fein cutting blade to do the straights. The bottom of the screen is quite thick with polyurethane, but the multi tools cuts 95% of it. The rest was easily cut with a stanley blade, as all other sides were cut.

Actually it was a really easy job. The Fein multi tools is super fast on the straights. The whole screen took me no more than 45 minutes. It would be possible to do it a lot quicker, but I wanted to be super careful to make sure I did not crack it.

I repeat, it's not rocket science, and anyone who thinks otherwise should not leave the house alone.

Here are some photos

Old 8th February 2019, 17:25   #19
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Haha complete prick am I ?Well at least i'm useful mongtard.
Old 8th February 2019, 18:21   #20
Furioman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Ford focus 2.0 Saxo VTS
Furioman is on a distinguished road

throw up some pics when you get round to installing the screen. My Vts is sitting in my garage screenless and its one of few jobs left to do before i put it in for a mot