Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 11th September 2013, 11:24   #1
fastswat4949
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
fastswat4949 is on a distinguished road
Default Flaking bumpers

Morning,

I need some advice about restoring my trim. The problem being that there is something on my trim that has started to flake off.

When i bought my car, from a garage, they had obviously coated the bumper in a very thick layer of restorer or something. I noticed it had been applied with a paint brush. I have used autoglym trim gel for a few years since but what i have now noticed is that the bumpers have started to flake. I can scrape it off with something hard but this can cause more damage.

I need to find a way to removing the flaking, i have tried a few solvents on a test patch and found throttle body cleaner to be the best at removing it, even though still not perfect. Plus this does make the plastic go slightly white on the parts of the bumper that has been previously scratched.

So what i'm asking is if there is anything else anyone can recommend to remove the previous flaking layers?

And once i have done that what is the best way to then further restore the bumpers to cover up white marks these days?

Image of the bumper starting to flake

Last edited by fastswat4949; 11th September 2013 at 15:17.
fastswat4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 11:35   #2
DAMSK11
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.1, Fiesta Zetec S
DAMSK11 is on a distinguished road

Paint thinner. Then get them sprayed
DAMSK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 15:19   #3
fastswat4949
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
fastswat4949 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but i tried white spirit but that doesn't remove it. I would spray them but i'm looking to sell it so its a bit of a waste of money
Old 11th September 2013, 15:43   #4
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Fine grade wet & dry then trim restorer.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote