Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 3rd March 2006, 15:37   #1
oilman
Established Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

As the title says this is the place for all oil related questions and hopefully over time it will build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Simon
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:10   #2
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

perfect glad you returned to saxp

Citroen Saxo
VTS
02 plate
1.6 16v

Mostly motorway miles though expecting a few track uses this year

I need engine oil and would like gearbox oil recommendation to

Cheers

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:28   #3
starkie
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): Black Saxo VTS
starkie has a spectacular aura aboutstarkie has a spectacular aura aboutstarkie has a spectacular aura about

Citroen Saxo
VTS
02 Plate
1.6 16V

Induction Kit, Full Exhaust.
(Thinking about Cams & a Re-Map Soon)
Short Journeys to work everyday!
Im doing a few Santa Pod trips this year and also one or two track days!

Ideally i need a fast Road oil, But also something which will cover and protect my car on a day to day basis!

I think im using 5w 40 at the moment!
Old 3rd March 2006, 17:06   #4
hesslevtr
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): 1.6 vtr
hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!hesslevtr is absolutely fabulous!

saxo
vtr
51 plate
1600cc 8v

4-1 manifold, decat, bmc filter

road and track and quater mile

gerbox and engine

cheers paul

my for sale ad
hesslevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 21:09   #5
woodsy
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

Car(s): mk1 1998 silver saxo vts
woodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to behold

saxo vts
1.6 16v

Last edited by woodsy; 21st March 2007 at 22:35.
woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2006, 21:10   #6
woodsy
Saxperience Forum Bum
North West Region Member

Car(s): mk1 1998 silver saxo vts
woodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to beholdwoodsy is a splendid one to behold

sorry its a 1998 s reg

Last edited by woodsy; 21st March 2007 at 22:36.
woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 05:16   #7
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
perfect glad you returned to saxp

Citroen Saxo
VTS
02 plate
1.6 16v

Mostly motorway miles though expecting a few track uses this year

I need engine oil and would like gearbox oil recommendation to

Cheers
Trackdays change the parameters as they are classified outside of the oil envelope for a stock recommendation, just like modded cars.

I would recommend Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 and Silkolene Silktran Syn 5 as the diff is fed from the gearbox

Check out the prices on my website as I have a sale on for 1 week in my Members Area.

Cheers
Simon

Last edited by oilman; 18th July 2008 at 15:10.
Old 4th March 2006, 05:18   #8
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkie

Citroen Saxo
VTS
02 Plate
1.6 16V

Induction Kit, Full Exhaust.
(Thinking about Cams & a Re-Map Soon)
Short Journeys to work everyday!
Im doing a few Santa Pod trips this year and also one or two track days!

Ideally i need a fast Road oil, But also something which will cover and protect my car on a day to day basis!

I think im using 5w 40 at the moment!
Same as bove really although I forgot to mention that Motul 300V 5w-40 is also a good road/track oil.

Cheers
Simon
Old 4th March 2006, 05:19   #9
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesslevtr
saxo
vtr
51 plate
1600cc 8v

4-1 manifold, decat, bmc filter

road and track and quater mile

gerbox and engine

cheers paul
Paul,

Take a look at my reply to scott above

Cheers
Simon
Old 4th March 2006, 05:24   #10
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy
saxo vts
1.6 16v

i use castrol gtx high mileage oil as its thicker and fully sinthetic

bit like diesel oil

hardly ever top it up too but all depends on engine wear etc
It's a mineral oil actually and not great quality.

It's not synthetic and is no thicker than any other 40 grade oil including 0w-40 or 5w-40

They are all 14cst viscosity at 100degC and 40 times thicker at 0degC

Cheers
Simon
Old 4th March 2006, 05:26   #11
oilman
Established Member

A short lesson on Multigrades:

If you see an expression such as 10W-40, the oil is a multigrade.

This simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades, in this case 10W & 40.

This is made possible by the inclusion of a polymer, a component which slows down the rate of thinning as the oil warms up and slows down the rate of thickening as the oil cools down.

It was first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

For a 10w-40 to attain the specification target a 10W ( W = winter) the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity at low temperature. The actual viscosity and the temperature vary with the viscosity grade but in all cases the lower the number, the thinner the oil, e.g. a 5W oil is thinner than a 10W oil at temperatures encountered in UK winter conditions.

This is important because a thinner oil will circulate faster on cold start, affording better engine protection.

For a 10w-40 to attain the other specification target a 40 oil must fall within certain limits at 100 degC. In this case the temperature target does not vary with the viscosity grade, if there is no "W", the measuring temperature is always 100degC. Again the lower the number the thinner the oil, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100 degC., which is typical of maximum bulk oil temperatures in an operating engine.

The engine makers are, of course, very well aware of this and specify oils according to engine design features, oil pump capacities, manufacturing tolerances, ambient temperature conditions etc. It is important to follow these guidelines, they are important and are an are stipulated for good reasons.

If the engine has been modified, the operating conditions may well be outside the original design envelope. The stress on the oil caused by increased maximum revs, power output and temperature may indicate that oil of a different type and viscosity grade would be beneficial.

Cheers
Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 4th March 2006, 05:26   #12
citroenaxgtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): citroen ax vtr
citroenaxgtr is on a distinguished road

ax gt
99 1.6 vtr bottom end gt head.
93 k reg.
1.6 8v aliminium block.
Old 4th March 2006, 05:32   #13
VTaaRon
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk1 Posi VTR (SOLD)
VTaaRon has a spectacular aura aboutVTaaRon has a spectacular aura about

saxo
vtr
r reg
coming up for 90k miles

motorway and town miles, 300 average every 10-12 days 12k ish yearly, rough starter in the cold. Just something to keep her in good nick and running well for as long as poss and start better on a cold morning! cheers

TOUCH IT YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!
VTaaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2006, 05:34   #14
Ratty
Established Member

Ratty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the rough

the only problem with all of this is it appears that your more sales orientated than individual product/application, unless multiple manufacturers models and cars fall in to the same categorys (I see your posts on alot of forums i read) The only reason I say this and your quite within your right to correct me, but ive asked twice about my particular car and application and ive had 2 seperate answers and reasons, where as 1 I agree with the other was more err sales...
Old 4th March 2006, 05:34   #15
Ratty
Established Member

Ratty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the rough

this would be simon and guy btw...
Old 4th March 2006, 05:40   #16
citroenaxgtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): citroen ax vtr
citroenaxgtr is on a distinguished road

straight to the point!..
Old 4th March 2006, 19:57   #17
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty
the only problem with all of this is it appears that your more sales orientated than individual product/application, unless multiple manufacturers models and cars fall in to the same categorys (I see your posts on alot of forums i read) The only reason I say this and your quite within your right to correct me, but ive asked twice about my particular car and application and ive had 2 seperate answers and reasons, where as 1 I agree with the other was more err sales...
We use a proprietory database to source information on all cars back to 1980 (in fact the same one as used by Castrol, mobil and many others).

The information is going to be pretty repetitive in what is recommended particularly in most cars post 1990 as the OEM's are all moving in the same direction grade wise except for maybe the likes of BMW and VAG who are moving towards 0w-30.

Yes I am bound to recommend the products that I sell, they are the ones I know intimately although selling 6 brands does give me more scope than most out there.

More importantly I know the quality well and can advise on some other brands where I have chemical analysis.

We are on 300+ forums so you will bump into us from time to time no matter what car you have.

Honest answer like it or not

Cheers
Simon
Old 4th March 2006, 21:51   #18
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citroenaxgtr
ax gt
99 1.6 vtr bottom end gt head.
93 k reg.
1.6 8v aliminium block.
This has the 1.6vtr Saxo engine in an ax, correct?

What do you use it for road/track etc?

Cheers
Simon
Old 4th March 2006, 21:52   #19
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTaaRon
saxo
vtr
r reg
coming up for 90k miles

motorway and town miles, 300 average every 10-12 days 12k ish yearly, rough starter in the cold. Just something to keep her in good nick and running well for as long as poss and start better on a cold morning! cheers
What viscosity (grade) oil are you using at the moment as it could account for poor cold start.

Cheers
Simon
Old 4th March 2006, 21:55   #20
cammedvtr
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): saxo vtr
cammedvtr is just really nicecammedvtr is just really nicecammedvtr is just really nicecammedvtr is just really nice

i just use normal oil from my local motor factor (to citreons hand books spec), i have 93000 miles on the clock and its never missed a beat and she slighty modded. Ive had her since she had 35000 mine on the clock and my bro did the serives on her after the warranty ran out because the car belonged to his mate. i work on the theary(sp)avarage quality oil and 3000 miles changes. but every ones differnet.