Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 4th February 2010, 19:23   #1
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of
Default Running

Now I know most people on here stick to strength work, building muscle mass etc...

So how many on here keep their cardio-levels up.

How often do you run / jog?

Distance you cover?

Best Effort Time

Last edited by Ryyy; 4th February 2010 at 19:29.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 19:33   #2
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

How often do you run / jog? Atleast twice a week

Distance you cover?Anything from a mile to 4

Best Effort Time 9:21 for a mile half
Old 4th February 2010, 22:18   #3
Leooo
Regular Poster

Car(s): Audi a3 3.2 v6 Quattro
Leooo is on a distinguished road

I think cardio is the hard work and lifting weight is the easy part. I take my hat off to people who can run for such long distances. I have not ran for a bit, I used to go 3 times per week before work, not sure on distance. I prefer to skip now though, should do both really
Leooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 01:35   #4
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

3x track sessions.

usually with 10-15min long run warm up.

1-2 hill sessions a week, either 45min warm up then 10 fast hills, or a session of mixing hills different speed, gradient etc.. and run to the next.

Dont know any mile times or worry about them as I dont run on treadmills or run over 600m on the track
Old 5th February 2010, 14:21   #5
tuft
Established Member

Car(s): Volvo C30 R-Design
tuft is on a distinguished road

just started running tidy in the last two weeks. down 3.5miles in 30 mins which I was happy with. something to improve on.

would it be better to try and run comfortably for 30mins everytime and then build the speed / distance up or try and run for longer?
tuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 17:10   #6
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
3x track sessions.

usually with 10-15min long run warm up.

1-2 hill sessions a week, either 45min warm up then 10 fast hills, or a session of mixing hills different speed, gradient etc.. and run to the next.

Dont know any mile times or worry about them as I dont run on treadmills or run over 600m on the track
I wouldnt mind using my local track tbh. Used to blitz the 100m and I loved it.

I Just run round the block until it equates to about 2 miles tbh.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:58   #7
carl
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Car(s): 1996 Citroen Saxo 1.1i, 1999 Citroen Saxo VTR
carl is an unknown quantity at this point

I went for a jog back In July did about 14 miles but when I got home I felt a pain In my inner calf ... shin splints! Just started to heal now! Torture seriously, stick to roads or grass over offroad terrain and wear suitable running trainers peoples It's not worth It at all!
Old 5th February 2010, 18:04   #8
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
I went for a jog back In July did about 14 miles but when I got home I felt a pain In my inner calf ... shin splints! Just started to heal now! Torture seriously, stick to roads or grass over offroad terrain and wear suitable running trainers peoples It's not worth It at all!
Whats shin splints? Is it like compartment syndrome?

And was that not due to not stretching off properly or just the surface?
Old 5th February 2010, 23:31   #9
carl
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryyy View Post
Whats shin splints? Is it like compartment syndrome?

And was that not due to not stretching off properly or just the surface?
Anyone can get shin splits, It Is a where the muscle In your calf tears from the bone usually on the inner or the outer of the calf. It Is caused by unbalanced feet when they hit the ground. Commonly known as over pronation or under pronation (a perfect alignment Is called neutral)

http://www.riseley.com.au/pics/footcorrection.jpg

As you can see from the image the left leg Is fine but the right Isn't I had that and so do many other runners and In time It causes stress to the muscle and causes It to tear away as your leg twists when It hits the floor. You fix It by buying some structured and support running shoes or wearing orthotic insoles In your shoes (just a insole with a wedge underneath to keep the foot straight) This Is near enough right and they are a killer to recover fully from a runners nightmare. If left untreated and you keep running with It you can get a stress fracture and all sorts.
Old 6th February 2010, 18:22   #10
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

anyone doing running should be wearing decent shoes anyway.

Road running often causes alot of problems for people because of the hard surfaces, plus the issue with running along pavements in the uk is the drop curbs cause mechanical issues everytime you go past someones driveway.

Tracks are good if you can get on them, they ar e a rubber compound and generally not to hard as we dont have super hard/fast tracks in the uk really.

treadmills are crap, and totally inacurate, people think they have run 10miles on them but infact have used as much effort required to run alot shorter distances, the bed carrys the foot from the placement to the end of the stride, in reality you have to do this yourself, so strength gains and stability of the hips etc.. is alot more benificials from proper running.
Old 6th February 2010, 18:22   #11
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuft View Post
just started running tidy in the last two weeks. down 3.5miles in 30 mins which I was happy with. something to improve on.

would it be better to try and run comfortably for 30mins everytime and then build the speed / distance up or try and run for longer?
increase the pace first, then increase the distance.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:08   #12
tuft
Established Member

Car(s): Volvo C30 R-Design
tuft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
increase the pace first, then increase the distance.
sounds good. whats a decent time for 1.5 miles? done it in just under 12 minutes friday?
tuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:30   #13
Keifer1903
Regular Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): MK2 Saxo VTR 109bhp
Keifer1903 is on a distinguished road

i do alot of running personally, always playing football! prefer doing fartlek training as its more accurate to the sport
Keifer1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:31   #14
Keifer1903
Regular Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): MK2 Saxo VTR 109bhp
Keifer1903 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sounds good. whats a decent time for 1.5 miles? done it in just under 12 minutes friday?
well the army see a good time for 1.5 miles as about 8 or 9 minutes! i would say a good time is about 10 or 11s so your going really good.
Keifer1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:42   #15
carl
Frequent Poster
North East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifer1903 View Post
well the army see a good time for 1.5 miles as about 8 or 9 minutes! i would say a good time is about 10 or 11s so your going really good.
Yer I did Army selection In November got 9 mins 30 secs on the 1.5 mile run, but it was beside a river on a old railway track and raining heavily so puddles and terrain was awful to run on and certainly slowed me down
Old 7th February 2010, 12:45   #16
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Well I managed a 1.6 mile in 9.36 the other day and that's just because I wanna get rid of my asthma and join The Army!
Old 7th February 2010, 14:11   #17
P90PTS
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
P90PTS is on a distinguished road

The best mile i have covered according to my Nike+ is 4:19 and that was my 3rd mile from 7. But that was before i gubbed my knee.

My old man used to run a 5:47 1.6 mile
Old 7th February 2010, 15:40   #18
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90PTS View Post
The best mile i have covered according to my Nike+ is 4:19 and that was my 3rd mile from 7. But that was before i gubbed my knee.

That's impressive mate.

Anything under 10 mins for a mile half is very good and anything below 9 is even better.

I can do a 5 minute mile which ain't owt special like.
Old 7th February 2010, 15:46   #19
vtrchris64
Established Member
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Clio 182 Cup
vtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to beholdvtrchris64 is a splendid one to behold

Best i have done is 10min 20 for 1.5 miles training for the navy. This was done on a treadmill though.

Was quite pleased with that considering all i ever do is weight train
vtrchris64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 16:29   #20
scot-ish
Established Member

Car(s): Audi S5, Corsa, Defender 90 CSW
scot-ish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90PTS View Post

i fail to believe that, im sure in another of your posts youve said your quite a big guy, well atleast not a stick man.

now 4.19 is a seriously fast time, for a mile on its own, nevermind a mile within a 7 mile run.

and then your dad, thats an even bigger one to believe, you and your dad must have some fun telling stories to each other

the world record for a mile is 3mins 43 seconds

your dad running 1.6 miles in 5:47, that makes his average pace for a mile at 3:37( a fair improvement on the world record dont you think?)

seems a bit far fetched mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I've seen pics of him and he's like Ayres Rock with tattoos.

Last edited by scot-ish; 7th February 2010 at 16:37.
scot-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scot-ish For This Useful Post: