Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Health and Fitness...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Health and Fitness... Discussions relating to health, fitness and general well being should be discussed within this forum...

Old 25th February 2010, 23:56   #1
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough
Default Boxing injuries?

Ok, so i have started ametuer boxing about 3 weeks ago and i am loving it, however after reading up on google i have found out how easy it is to sustain brain damage, can any boxers on here say that they have felt these effects in the real world?

Also i am a bit worried about losing my teeth, i know you where a gum shield but still, what damage can be done to them?

Also in a ametuer fight how much injury am i likely to sustain? (I know there are thousands of variables but roughly?) And lastly how much do the helmets help?

Thanks in advance, just don't want to be left with lasting injuries.
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 04:05   #2
saxo_jim
Frequent Poster

Car(s): westcoast
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to beholdsaxo_jim is a splendid one to behold

one of my mates got his tooth chipped with a mouth guard and the other guy had gloves. its just one of those things that are hard to prevent. Try and get a fitted gum guard instead of those cheaper ones i presume that would help.

as for the brain damage and all that sort of stuff i have no idea, but thought that you would of had to be boxing and getting your head knocked about for a long time before getting any long term effects
saxo_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 05:59   #3
stinkycheese
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Pink Jazz
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
stinkycheese is on a distinguished road

LOL you will not recieve brain damage, teeth will be fine with proper mouthguard. I found headguards as more of a hinderence tbh. Probably because i have a tiny head though

Busted nose is probs most likely injury tbh.
Old 26th February 2010, 08:04   #4
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info
But if you search on google "boxing brain damage" or "boxing head injury" it comes up with some pretty nasty facts and figures
Old 26th February 2010, 09:17   #5
Mark51p
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Golf GT
iTrader Score: 28 (100%)
Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!Mark51 is absolutely fabulous!

if your worried about brain damage then don't do it. have you every taken paracetamol? im guessing yes, well have a read of the information sheet you get with them and look at the side effects. you will be surprised. its all about 'what ifs' you could be fine or you could turn into a cabbage.
Ive done some type of martial art since i was at school (10 years ago). Currently doing Muay Thai Boxing which ive done for the past 4 ish years and this is ALOT more aggressive than boxing. Kicks, knees and elbows to the head with only a gum shield, boxing gloves and a box to protect the cheeky bits. Im fine, bruised but fine. May see some affects in a few years but i will will about that then. Recent events have shown that life can be short, enjoy everyday as you can.
Mark51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark51 For This Useful Post:
Old 26th February 2010, 10:42   #6
scot-ish
Established Member

Car(s): Audi S5, Corsa, Defender 90 CSW
scot-ish is on a distinguished road

its seems from your post, your pretty scared to get involved.

dont be, it aint that bad, a head guard, i guarantee you will pull it off after the first sparring session, claiming "you cant see shit" and thats why your gettin hit.

look at the amount of pros out there, there aint that many of them died, or got serious from boxing, yeh there are a few, but same goes for walking down the street, more people will die on the pavement, than in a ring, yet you will still go out walking tomorow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I've seen pics of him and he's like Ayres Rock with tattoos.
scot-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scot-ish For This Useful Post:
Old 26th February 2010, 11:15   #7
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

LOLZ, Hell noooo the last thing to worry about is brain damage, obviously depending on everything from skull-complications to how hard you get hit, how often etc but no chance! Yes it is often "pro" boxers lose brain-cells and other serious stuff like boxing-induced parkinsons disease etc. But thats because most of them can bang, dont wear headguards and some wear 8oz gloves *remember MMA gloves are only 4oz just to compare*

In Amateur Boxing you shouldnt worry, you wear a good head-guard, and around 10-12oz gloves which wont do much. And again, dont worry about losing teeth, wearing a shock-doctor gum-shield it will protect your gums / teeth, and when you get it, make sure you bite down on it lol, thats what I did in sparring (best bit about Boxing).

Amateur Boxing is just "pitter-patter", meaning the aim is point-scoring and to hit them and not get hit and be FAST! Most common injury is broken hands or even more common broken-nose, but even then you have it straightened at the Docs.

Have fun, remember boxing is THE best sport to learn, mixing strength with cardio and learning self-discipline, confidence and of course, self-defense.

Last edited by Ryyy; 26th February 2010 at 11:18.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryyy For This Useful Post:
Old 26th February 2010, 13:28   #8
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

Thanks for the help people, feel a lot better now

I just need to put a little weight on, only 13 stone (6ft 5 so i am not all that stocky)

How are you put into a weight class? Is it just on weight or BMI?
Old 26th February 2010, 13:50   #9
Ryyy
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Too poor.
Ryyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud ofRyyy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_vtr View Post
Thanks for the help people, feel a lot better now

I just need to put a little weight on, only 13 stone (6ft 5 so i am not all that stocky)

How are you put into a weight class? Is it just on weight or BMI?
The amateur boxing weight classes are different to professional weight classes and you can find them on BBC Sport / Boxing page and then find what weight class you would be in , I weighed back then 54kg which is bantamweight (Tiny lol) and now I'm around 60 kg which is featherweight, then there's lightweight, welterweight (10st-ish), middleweight etcetc, but anyway you shouldn't have to worry about fights and stuff yet til you're licensed, it takes time. Then you'll be getting carted around in a mini-bus with the Boxing lads and fighting all over, but that'll take time depending on how good you are lol.

Glad to be of service.
Ryyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 13:52   #10
SaxoVTR2008
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Yamaha R1
SaxoVTR2008 is infamous around these partsSaxoVTR2008 is infamous around these partsSaxoVTR2008 is infamous around these parts

I've had a fair few boxing matches in my life... I do feel as though I can't remember as much! I thought I used to be smart!
Old 26th February 2010, 18:52   #11
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/g...lip-guard.aspx

THIS LOOKS VERY PROTECTIVE!

Would the black lips part be on the outside i presume? Would i be allowed to use one of these?
Old 26th February 2010, 18:58   #12
SaxoVTR2008
Established Member

SaxoVTR2008 is infamous around these partsSaxoVTR2008 is infamous around these partsSaxoVTR2008 is infamous around these parts

lmao no you wouldn't be able to use one in competitions anyway, and in the gym you will just get ripped to shreds if your seen with that! haha
Why do you want to protect your lips?
Old 26th February 2010, 19:03   #13
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxoVTR2008 View Post
lmao no you wouldn't be able to use one in competitions anyway, and in the gym you will just get ripped to shreds if your seen with that! haha
Why do you want to protect your lips?
I want the best protection i can get for my face! lol Hmm what about the normal one without the "lips" part? lol

Clicky
Old 26th February 2010, 19:06   #14
SaxoVTR2008
Established Member

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/p...outhguard.aspx
thats mine.. Does the job.. just stop worrying about injuries! Girls love the black eyes and cuts you get anyway It's the sport.. It doesn't affect you for life.. The worst you can get is a broken nose or koed but its unlikely.. After every boxing match I have I normally have a black eye at the most and maybe a couple of grazes on my face, constantly have grazes over my arms and shoulders just because of my style of fighting.. Just stop worrying! lol get on with it! otherwise if you worry now, when you get in the ring you will be turning your back and hesitating which is not going to go down well.. Just be confident
Old 26th February 2010, 19:07   #15
Mieran
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!Mieran is absolutely fabulous!

You don't have to compete. Just go for training sessions.
Mieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 19:12   #16
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

I am very confident, but if they are taller than me (Fairly unlikely) then i won't be, i am not used to people being taller, and when someone is i feal uneasy tbh as it just doesnt seem normal to me.

Just gotta give it my all, the Youtube videos just seen more like a street fight, very fast paced. And i would like to compete
Old 26th February 2010, 19:19   #17
SaxoVTR2008
Established Member

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...=1086679302184
Theres an old fight video... About 3 years old, but only put it on facebook about 5 months ago.. Its a shit fight, trapped a nerve in my right arm in the first round if you can see I start to use only my left arm.. its crap but I did the basic i needed to win.. If you can see the height difference hes about 6.3 and im 5.9 so dont worry about height! he also had 6 years on me..
Old 26th February 2010, 19:22   #18
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...=1086679302184
Theres an old fight video... About 3 years old, but only put it on facebook about 5 months ago.. Its a shit fight, trapped a nerve in my right arm in the first round if you can see I start to use only my left arm.. its crap but I did the basic i needed to win.. If you can see the height difference hes about 6.3 and im 5.9 so dont worry about height! he also had 6 years on me..
Not that shit mate, looked a good fight to me

And do you feel the punches much? As I take it you had a major rush of adrenalin? Any tips on how to overcome nerves of a first fight?
Old 26th February 2010, 19:25   #19
SaxoVTR2008
Established Member

No you don't really feel it... Even if its a real hard punch it just confuses you and you may black out for like a split second.. Theres been a few fights were ive been getting a pasting and thought to myself what the hell am i doing in here? Don't ask me about nerves! Im on my 25+ fights and im shitting myself before it constantly! I think that is just me though, im confident about my skills, my good record and that I can win.. But theres not one fight I wouldnt be nervous before.. One fight i was sitting in the toilet for like 2 hours before constantly crapping! I wish i had some tips for it lol
Old 26th February 2010, 19:32   #20
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
No you don't really feel it... Even if its a real hard punch it just confuses you and you may black out for like a split second.. Theres been a few fights were ive been getting a pasting and thought to myself what the hell am i doing in here? Don't ask me about nerves! Im on my 25+ fights and im shitting myself before it constantly! I think that is just me though, im confident about my skills, my good record and that I can win.. But theres not one fight I wouldnt be nervous before.. One fight i was sitting in the toilet for like 2 hours before constantly crapping! I wish i had some tips for it lol
Do you know how i will be weighted? As i am 13 stone (Light heavyweight according to Google?) but it is mainly because of height, i am not skinny but no where near big/bulky. Is it my BMI that it goes off?