Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 15th March 2010, 18:45   #1
gotamintvtr
Frequent Poster

Car(s): a mk1 grey saxo vtr on throttle bodies mk6 faceli
gotamintvtr will become famous soon enough
Default britcar @ Brandshatch march '10

got a season pass for brands this year so took my 1st trip of the season on saturday. turned out to be i nice day with some nice cars.
tempted to get myself a teleconverter for my sigma 70-200.
all pics with canon 40d and sigma 70-200

gutted these were through the fence got the whole OFF

fastest car of the day iirc

the rest can be seen here
http://photobucket.com/britcarmarch2010

as always all coments and criticism welcome

jamie
gotamintvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 18:54   #2
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): RX8, Cliosport 197
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

nice pics buddy,

when you say season pass do you mean the media one or the normal one which you pay like £100 odd for the access to most of the events.

also i would definately recommend getting a teleconvertor i (and adsayer) have kenko ones, just as good as the canon ones but work on all lenses and way cheaper, (especially if they mess up the ebay listing £24 bargain haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
Wheels = The sex. James = The sex. His sk1llz = The sex.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 18:56   #3
gotamintvtr
Frequent Poster

cheers jim.

ill have a look at that then.

i got the spectator pass for 230 i think it was that is every event entry. not to bad realy. when DTM last year was 35pound on the gate etc.

jamie
Old 15th March 2010, 18:59   #4
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

A TC does massively reduce AF speed and IQ so dont expect to use it in low light.

More so on zoom glass, my 2x on my 300 prime doesnt have many issues, on my 70-200 theres a notable difference.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:59   #5
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!Jungle_Jim is absolutely fabulous!

thats cool, does that cover just the race day or practise / qualifying days as well

Quote:
Old 15th March 2010, 19:00   #6
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
thats cool, does that cover just the race day or practise / qualifying days as well
the pass covers everything, its what Dave G has.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:01   #7
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
A TC does massively reduce AF speed and IQ so dont expect to use it in low light.

More so on zoom glass, my 2x on my 300 prime doesnt have many issues, on my 70-200 theres a notable difference.
other than the loss of one stop i cant really say i have noticed a lot of difference in shots with the x1.4 and without using my canon 70-200mm F4 L

x2 is slow as fook though, meaning f4 becomes f8 and its pretty much manual focus, so i would only bother with the x1.4

Quote:
Old 15th March 2010, 19:04   #8
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
other than the loss of one stop i cant really say i have noticed a lot of difference in shots with the x1.4 and without using my canon 70-200mm F4 L

x2 is slow as fook though, meaning f4 becomes f8 and its pretty much manual focus, so i would only bother with the x1.4
2x is brilliant with my 300, i dont buy F4 glass though

I used sayers 1.4x kenko and you can deffo feel a loss in AF speed, not huge but its there.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:06   #9
gotamintvtr
Frequent Poster

cheers for the advice ryan i might get one to try at 100 pound
Old 15th March 2010, 19:12   #10
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
2x is brilliant with my 300, i dont buy F4 glass though

I used sayers 1.4x kenko and you can deffo feel a loss in AF speed, not huge but its there.
lol neither would i if i didnt have to worry about money anyways i am a firm believer that is the photographer that makes the most difference lol, you always see companies covering trackdays with 300mm & 400mm f2.8 lenses and the lastest 1d then you see their pics and they suck. all shot at something like 1/320 so hardly any movement and just generally boring generic stock images for trackday heros to put on their fire place. its a waste of decent kit really

Quote:
Old 15th March 2010, 19:16   #11
gotamintvtr
Frequent Poster

it does make me laught over there at some of the stuff some people have.

on saturday was a bloke with a 1d and a mamoth L lens and his little son with a 1d or something a 70-200mm L lens.

another bloke with 2 1d's and again two huge L lenses but standing on the peasant side of the fence (he obviously aint prodicing with all that kit)
Old 15th March 2010, 19:17   #12
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

a photographer has alot of input most of the trackday photographers work on a 100% keeper rate, so they dont care about artistic shots but instead a 1/1000 shutter speed and parked cars, it sells so isnt really a waste as they make good £££ from it. You cant use a high shutter speed in a badly overcast day unless they also have good iso performance, so again they need the fast glass and high iso to deal with it

Thats off on another tangent though to my point, you do notice a drop in IQ and AF speed with a TC on a zoom more than a prime, so its something to allways be wary of in any case. Ive used a 1.4x kenko, and both sigma and canons 2x offerings on my 70-200 and both 2x on the prime.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:20   #13
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotamintvtr View Post
another bloke with 2 1d's and again two huge L lenses but standing on the peasant side of the fence (he obviously aint prodicing with all that kit)
I know a few very wealthy people who have new 1ds and D3s + big primes. They are not photographers and wouldnt want to be earning what they do for their jobs compaired to what they would taking pics

How do you know that they are not producing because they are on that side of the fence? Some people its a hobby and they will buy serious kit still. Just because you are a hobbyest it doesnt mean you cant buy pro glass.

just to throw that one into the mix
Old 15th March 2010, 19:23   #14
gotamintvtr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I know a few very wealthy people who have new 1ds and D3s + big primes. They are not photographers and wouldnt want to be earning what they do for their jobs compaired to what they would taking pics

How do you know that they are not producing because they are on that side of the fence? Some people its a hobby and they will buy serious kit still. Just because you are a hobbyest it doesnt mean you cant buy pro glass.

just to throw that one into the mix
it want meant to come across that way i totaly agree hobbyists can buy pro kit aswell. but for me if i had a chance to get the other side of the fence and my pics were good enough id snap it up.
whats the point of being restricted when you could be unrestricted.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:25   #15
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

some people dont want to be the other side of the fence though, you need public liability insurance + various codes of conduct etc...

plus the pressure being on etc...

but the fred' is now off on another tangent lol!!
Old 15th March 2010, 19:27   #16
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

unfortunately though what side of the fence you end up on, isnt down to your skill or how good you are, its merely whether you fufill a set criteria. the main issue being able to produce at least two pieces of work which have been published in the last year. the thing is unless you get a press pass it is rare you will get stuff published, but until you get stuff published you cant get a press pass, so its a magic circle really

Quote:
but the fred' is now off on another tangent lol!!
lol oh well its better to have a thread with a good discussion than just one or two posts of 'nice pics'

Quote:

Last edited by Jungle_Jim; 15th March 2010 at 19:30.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:29   #17
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:

Honestly the best TC I've used, AF is still lightening.
The f/4 can really just take about everything and not be a pain. The 'inferior' f/2.8 sucks with anything

Kenko absolutely smacked it with the 1.4x - by the way it's the PRO 300 you want so be careful if you do go for a Kenko TC.

Quote:
lol neither would i if i didnt have to worry about money anyways i am a firm believer that is the photographer that makes the most difference lol, you always see companies covering trackdays with 300mm & 400mm f2.8 lenses and the lastest 1d then you see their pics and they suck. all shot at something like 1/320 so hardly any movement and just generally boring generic stock images for trackday heros to put on their fire place. its a waste of decent kit really
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotamintvtr View Post
it does make me laught over there at some of the stuff some people have.

on saturday was a bloke with a 1d and a mamoth L lens and his little son with a 1d or something a 70-200mm L lens.

I'd put my 1d on knowing who the guy with the 2 1d's and two huge L glasses - *runs off to check POTN*

I was actually going to go to this event but I was hungover - kicking myself that I didn't go I can imagine DaveG was there too.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010, 19:29   #18
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
unfortunately though what side of the fence you end up on, isnt down to your skill or how good you are, its merely whether you fufill a set criteria. the main issue being able to produce at least two pieces of work which have been published in the last year. the thing is unless you get a press pass it is rare you will get stuff published, but until you get stuff published you cant get a press pass, so its a magic circle really
its a fantastic one isnt it lol

So its usually either know someone in the industry or manage to get a big event such as a crash that the 'pros' missed at an event. Most magazines just ignore the large amount of emails they get regarding work as so many people now have SLRs and email them off trying to get work/a pass.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:36   #19
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
lol oh well its better to have a thread with a good discussion than just one or two posts of 'nice pics'
lol you mean mobile phone pics where its full of 100 'nice car' comments

On the topic of TC even though I hate my 2x on my 70-200 id still rather use it than a 100-400
Old 15th March 2010, 19:36   #20
Jungle_Jimm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
I can imagine DaveG was there too.
hello
yeah he was i saw his pic on facebook of a bmw blowing its engine round clearways

next event at brands which i wanna go to is the BTCC on may 1st/2nd as its the full GP circuit for the opening round this year rather than the indy track. gonna go on the saturday as its much quieter so better for taking pics. also they have ginetta g50, ginetta junior, cliocup, F2 and porsche carrera cup all on the same day. great mix of stuff

Quote: