Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep' > Track Chat

Track Chat This forum is for general chat related to track / motorsport, including photos of builds, etc. Please keep the main forum section based upon technical discussion.

Old 12th January 2011, 20:36   #41
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz_vts View Post
so what your saying is its pointless to do unless you do it properly with the correct heating/cooling procedure
basically yes! im not saying that the chap above does a bad job but whilst your seam welding its just good practice to heat then cool as you go.

and i work for ARC Motor Sport Developments (ford) and no not the carting company.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 20:41   #42
mark1311
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Be scirocco, full on 03plate track spec Saxo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
mark1311 is on a distinguished road

i agree with you its good to do and we do often do it this way at work, but price aint cheap to do it that way...

you have to think though a saxo is held together with spot welds every 3 inch or so,... so a nice seam weld of couple inchs even though it may weaken the metal a little at both sides it has to be hell lot stronger then the shit spot welds?
mark1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 20:47   #43
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1311 View Post
i agree with you its good to do and we do often do it this way at work, but price aint cheap to do it that way...

you have to think though a saxo is held together with spot welds every 3 inch or so,... so a nice seam weld of couple inchs even though it may weaken the metal a little at both sides it has to be hell lot stronger then the shit spot welds?
not entirely this is the reason they only use spot welds in the factory places like subaru and mitsubishi only use a 2 inch seam weld every 6 inches as a full seam weakens the metal and its not quick enough to do the heat cycle in there factory's i dont want to shit on any 1 i was just throwing some knowledge out there as i been welding since i was 15 and im fully qualified in mig arc gas and tig.
Old 12th January 2011, 20:48   #44
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedford126 View Post
basically yes! im not saying that the chap above does a bad job but whilst your seam welding its just good practice to heat then cool as you go.

and i work for ARC Motor Sport Developments (ford) and no not the carting company.
right i see where your coming from but i also see where marks coming from in the post below about how it must be stronger than the standard welds, i only use my car as a weekend runner and the odd track day so surely just spot welding would do the job to add abit of extra strenght

Quote:

Old 12th January 2011, 21:05   #45
mark1311
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

am not talking about doing a full seam welded inside... how we do it is like this on the s2 trs rally car.

Welded up the holes on the floor.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:08   #46
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

ok mate looks good but if it was me whilst i was there i would full seam weld it mite as well whilst all the prep work is done seems silly to do it twice imo.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:10   #47
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

the main reason theyre not welded up fully in the manufacture process, is because it would take too long thus costing more, and would cost more before you put labour times into it because of the extra materials needed to weld it properly

bedford is right in what hes saying for the process involved, but those processes are for cars that will generally have alot better susp set ups and be alot more powerful taking more abuse then the average weekend track toy...... wrc and btcc etc as said, any sort of seam welding provided the welds are decent, will provide great benefits to most cars never mind track cars, will help take alot of the strains of a fast road set up and keep the car more rigid, even more so in a track toy

very good mod to do even in the lesser form
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.

Last edited by blackie_2k5; 12th January 2011 at 21:12.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:13   #48
mark1311
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

not my work in picture above stole example off here lol. yer i can fully under stand what your saying, and would love to do that but like said ebfor lots people on budgets so it offers them extra strenth for there budget. what kind of prices would you charge for full seam weld how your saying? bout 600/700?
Old 12th January 2011, 21:15   #49
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore

the trs car was the 1 that i was looking at that sparked my interest at doing this, so would that type of seam welding be ok for a fastroad / weekend track car, i can see what bedford means about doing it properly whilst the prep works all been done but i wont have the correct tools / money to do it that way
Old 12th January 2011, 21:17   #50
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
not my work in picture above stole example off here lol. yer i can fully under stand what your saying, and would love to do that but like said ebfor lots people on budgets so it offers them extra strenth for there budget. what kind of prices would you charge for full seam weld how your saying? bout 600/700?
to do my civic ek9 i was charged 400 and thats for fully welded cabin and engine bay and heat treated that was just for the labour of tim the prodrive bloke i had materials on top of that. for the subaru we have in work at the moment its 500 for the seam welding and paint and 600 for the cage fitting it will be show car quality when finished though.

although we did a mk1 clio not so long back and he was charged 400 inc paint for full cabin and engine bay. all depends on how you talk to the boss and how much seam sealer is in the panel joins.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:18   #51
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the trs car was the 1 that i was looking at that sparked my interest at doing this, so would that type of seam welding be ok for a fastroad / weekend track car, i can see what bedford means about doing it properly whilst the prep works all been done but i wont have the correct tools / money to do it that way
tbh mate, i very much doubt youd need to go that far, the way mark does it would be more then sufficient for most
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:22   #52
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
tbh mate, i very much doubt youd need to go that far, the way mark does it would be more then sufficient for most
see i thought this as the trs cars going to be used for gravel rallying and mine wont take anywhere near as much abuse as that no doubt, would be nice to have it all done properly mind
Old 12th January 2011, 21:24   #53
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
see i thought this as the trs cars going to be used for gravel rallying and mine wont take anywhere near as much abuse as that no doubt, would be nice to have it all done properly mind
tbh mate i would getit fully done for the extra work it takes before you paint it my ek9 is now so much nicer and stiff to drive its amazing but as said if you don't plan on ragging it then 2 inch of weld every 4 inch should be fine and take some stick.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:28   #54
JoshB
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): 2010 E92 320i MSport
JoshB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
the main reason theyre not welded up fully in the manufacture process, is because it would take too long thus costing more, and would cost more before you put labour times into it because of the extra materials needed to weld it properly

bedford is right in what hes saying for the process involved, but those processes are for cars that will generally have alot better susp set ups and be alot more powerful taking more abuse then the average weekend track toy...... wrc and btcc etc as said, any sort of seam welding provided the welds are decent, will provide great benefits to most cars never mind track cars, will help take alot of the strains of a fast road set up and keep the car more rigid, even more so in a track toy

very good mod to do even in the lesser form
That's exactly what I was going to reply with. Most "track" saxo's on here will only see 3 or 4 track days a year and the majority will run sub 200lb springs.

Mark will do an excellent job for whats required on a track saxo.

--------------------------------
Ooooh, Shiney!
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote