Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 3rd March 2012, 17:34   #1
stehno

stehno is on a distinguished road
Default saxo 1.1i revs idle on 5000 rpm!!!

Hi, my cars driveing me mad, swapped batterie after it went flat, recharged bat and now revs shoot up to 5000 rpm when i turn the key, changed icv, throttle sensor, lambda ,temp coolent sensor, still no change, throttle cable ok , can see no leaks anywhere, realy am fed up with it, just want to no if anyone has had the same and fixed it.
stehno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:34   #2
adamspencer
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 52 Saxo Desire 1.1
adamspencer is on a distinguished road

year is your car? You said 'throttle cable' but more modern(er) saxos have throttle position sensor
adamspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:45   #3
Bhamjez

Bhamjez is on a distinguished road

I have same prob with my 1.4 done a temp fix by blocking the top half of throttle body with red gasket seal my car stays steady at 1000rpm from what i've read u also need to consider the crankshaft sensor and the map sensor and also the throttle position sensor hope this helps and good luck
Bhamjez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:57   #4
t-dogg
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 02 1.1 forte, 02 vtr
t-dogg is on a distinguished road

check the inlet many, i had the same problem with mine, apart mine reved up to 7000. Inlet manifold might be a bit loose or try the seals round it.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:11   #5
adamspencer
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 52 Saxo Desire 1.1
adamspencer is on a distinguished road

yeah anything that will let extra air into the inlets in summary could cause this
adamspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:58   #6
stehno

thanks for all advice, ive got 2 throttle bodys that i try on it, both do the same, my cars a 2003 desire.
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:00   #7
stehno

hi mate had the inlet manifold off to fit a new cat the other day , when lambda sensor snapped off , all manifold is nice and tight.
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:06   #8
t-dogg
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 02 1.1 forte, 02 vtr
t-dogg is on a distinguished road

the inlet manifold is behind the engine block, the part is around icv

Old 3rd March 2012, 21:27   #9
stehno

are they easy to get off mate? and many thanks for your help.
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:18   #10
emmeff
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 1.6 VTS MK1 1997 L3
emmeff is on a distinguished road

Stehno. Check/change the crank sensor. No idea where it is on a mk2 though. I have a mk1.

Also reset the ICV after removing the battery or ECU. Turn the ignition to the red lights 6 times and start on the seventh. Should reset the ICV position.

Might work.

Last edited by emmeff; 3rd March 2012 at 22:21.
emmeff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emmeff For This Useful Post:
Old 11th March 2012, 17:19   #11
porkie77

porkie77 is on a distinguished road

hi mate just something that might help if battery been off ecu could have reset itself so now doesnt know the value of full throttle and idle throttle try turning on ignition put your foot flat to the floor on the throttle then take your foot off then turn ignition off . then turn ignition back on and start car
this is how you make the ecu understand the values off full and idle throttle

just a guess but may help
porkie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 05:29   #12
Cuzza12345
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR (1.4 upgrade)
Cuzza12345 is on a distinguished road

Make sure no air is trapped in your cooling system which can cause high revs, irratic idling can be cause by so much stuff its a case of trial and error dude I had this with my car and eventually just replaced everything at the same time lol
Cuzza12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 05:30   #13
Cuzza12345
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR (1.4 upgrade)
Cuzza12345 is on a distinguished road

Check for air leaks across the inlet mani and see that your throttle cable isn't too tight causing your idle valve to stick open, have you changed your idle control?
Cuzza12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 08:41   #14
jakesc
L-plater

Car(s): leon cupra tdi polar white saxo vtr
jakesc is on a distinguished road

u said you have a new battery? might sound stupid but check that the positive and negative have good secure contact to the terminals. my car was idling like yours and turns out the negative was a tad loose. got a new clamp for the terminal and that sorted it. I know it sounds bizarre but it sorted it, my friend had the same issue on his vts, tried the same as me and sorted! worth a try even though it sounds stupid haha
jakesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 08:50   #15
jayline
Banned
South East Region Member

Car(s): mk1 flat arch
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
jayline is on a distinguished road

i had this problem when i bought mine and found out some one had re positioned the throttle cable by unpinning it and moving it a few slots! just have a good look at everything and see if anything looks out of place or wrong
jayline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 08:53   #16
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspencer View Post
year is your car? You said 'throttle cable' but more modern(er) saxos have throttle position sensor
So how do you think the throttle pedal moves the butterfly in the throttle body? Yes he will have a throttle cable, all saxos do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stehno View Post
hi mate had the inlet manifold off to fit a new cat the other day , when lambda sensor snapped off , all manifold is nice and tight.
Why did you remove the inlet manifold to put a cat on? You mean the exhaust manifold? Check the connections on the LAMBDA then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkie77 View Post
hi mate just something that might help if battery been off ecu could have reset itself so now doesnt know the value of full throttle and idle throttle try turning on ignition put your foot flat to the floor on the throttle then take your foot off then turn ignition off . then turn ignition back on and start car

Incorrect, that is a load of nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesc View Post
u said you have a new battery? might sound stupid but check that the positive and negative have good secure contact to the terminals. my car was idling like yours and turns out the negative was a tad loose. got a new clamp for the terminal and that sorted it. I know it sounds bizarre but it sorted it, my friend had the same issue on his vts, tried the same as me and sorted! worth a try even though it sounds stupid haha
One of the better answers in this thread.

Check earths too. Also check with a multimeter the connections to confirm there are no breaks in the wire.

Sensors to check: MAP, LAMBDA, Coolant temp,throttle position. Crank position that someone mentioned before would prevent the car from starting or give it a false red limiter at any rpm. It would effect the idle.
Old 12th March 2012, 09:59   #17
porkie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkie77

Incorrect, that is a load of nonsense.

not nonsense at !!!!!!!all just had this problem on my saxo barrey went flat and had to be replaced doing this made the ecu reset itself when i started it idle was all over the place revving to 3000 and holding there then dropping and going up again done what i said to do and cured it straight away .......

SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING !!!
but hey anything is worth a try what i said to do is free plus only takes all of 30 seconds to do !!

DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT .......LOL
Old 12th March 2012, 10:09   #18
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
not nonsense at !!!!!!!all just had this problem on my saxo barrey went flat and had to be replaced doing this made the ecu reset itself when i started it idle was all over the place revving to 3000 and holding there then dropping and going up again done what i said to do and cured it straight away .......

SOME PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING !!!
but hey anything is worth a try what i said to do is free plus only takes all of 30 seconds to do !!

DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT .......LOL
More likely a coincidence. Its a fact what you said doesn't work as it just doesn't, its like telling the OP to tap the ECU 5 times and it will start working. The saxo ECU is far from as sophisticated as that.

What the OP could try is unplugging the battery as this clears any error logs and may help. So unplug it for 15 minutes or overnight and then reconnect and try again - this isnt nonsense and is in fact a fact
Old 12th March 2012, 10:18   #19
porkie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochachino View Post
More likely a coincidence. Its a fact what you said doesn't work as it just doesn't, its like telling the OP to tap the ECU 5 times and it will start working. The saxo ECU is far from as sophisticated as that.

What the OP could try is unplugging the battery as this clears any error logs and may help. So unplug it for 15 minutes or overnight and then reconnect and try again - this isnt nonsense and is in fact a fact
FACT LOL

i done it yesterday on my saxo after being told to by a mechanic who works for citreon and it worked perfectly so gotta be said IT DOES WORK !!!
SORRY MATE YOU CAN STATE FACT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE
but it works as i done it yesterday i aint posting it as something i have never done and just heard that it works ..
i have actually done it and it works !!!
so only trying to help OP
and it is free to do and like i said only takes 30 secs so whats the harm in trying ????

but hey wanna knock it maybe you can try it if you ever get the fault and see if it works ????
Old 12th March 2012, 10:21   #20
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
FACT LOL

i done it yesterday on my saxo after being told to by a mechanic who works for citreon and it worked perfectly so gotta be said IT DOES WORK !!!
SORRY MATE YOU CAN STATE FACT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE
but it works as i done it yesterday i aint posting it as something i have never done and just heard that it works ..
i have actually done it and it works !!!
so only trying to help OP
and it is free to do and like i said only takes 30 secs so whats the harm in trying ????

but hey wanna knock it maybe you can try it if you ever get the fault and see if it works ????
I don't have a saxo anymore. Reverse to rewind your milage mate