Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 3rd December 2014, 16:17   #1
saxpest
L-plater

Car(s): 02 vtr 06 zafira
saxpest is on a distinguished road
Default cant get gearbox back in

I'm changing the gearbox on my 02 bye following a guide on here, I've got the old one off but can I he'll get the new one back in. It's hitting the drivers side drive shaft stopping me lifting it in. I've removed the drivers side ball joint for that little bit more play I've undone to two nuts on the intermediate bearing and rotated the bolt heads bit it won't shift! If I can move the drive shaft back an extra 2 inch I'd be able to get the box back on.
saxpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:19   #2
sulgravesax
L-plater

sulgravesax is on a distinguished road

make sure all the bolts and clamps are undone on the intermediate shaft housing and then put a block of wood on the end and hit it with a lump hammer. obviously make sure its out of the hub end first. that's all i did on mine and eventually it came out and the gear box went back in. you can get it back in without moving the drivers side shaft but it takes time and patience and 2 pairs of hands. plus a lot of shouting and doing about.
sulgravesax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:45   #3
saxpest
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulgravesax View Post
make sure all the bolts and clamps are undone on the intermediate shaft housing and then put a block of wood on the end and hit it with a lump hammer. obviously make sure its out of the hub end first. that's all i did on mine and eventually it came out and the gear box went back in. you can get it back in without moving the drivers side shaft but it takes time and patience and 2 pairs of hands. plus a lot of shouting and doing about.
Yeah I'm by myself so lots of shouting loads of bruising and I'm no further forward lol, the Haynes said there were only 2 bolts on the shaft housing to take out push the bolt through and turn them, it should move but it's stuck fast
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:07   #4
iSlayeR
Established Member

Car(s): Turbocharged vtr
iSlayeR is on a distinguished road

Remove the complete driveshaft out of the way buddy, very difficult to line both splines up
iSlayeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:56   #5
Ali123
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): ph3'd c2 gt
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Ali123 is on a distinguished road

Very awkward getting the box back in with the shaft still in, not too awkward on a ramp like! But on the floor it's a reet cunt, just remove the whole shaft dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdawayt View Post
I heard about the in-car bonfire but didn't really believe it. Hats off to that man.
Ali123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 08:47   #6
saxpest
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali123 View Post
Very awkward getting the box back in with the shaft still in, not too awkward on a ramp like! But on the floor it's a reet cunt, just remove the whole shaft dude
I'm trying to but I can't get the shaft out the intermediate bearing, I've took the two bolts off, pushed the bolts back and rotated the heads, even with a chock of wood and a hammer it's not moving.
Old 4th December 2014, 10:32   #7
iSlayeR
Established Member

Car(s): Turbocharged vtr
iSlayeR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxpest View Post
I'm trying to but I can't get the shaft out the intermediate bearing, I've took the two bolts off, pushed the bolts back and rotated the heads, even with a chock of wood and a hammer it's not moving.
Yep, can be a right arse to get out sometimes, remove the nuts and bolts altogether, then I try and use a bar and hammer and give it a tap
iSlayeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 16:00   #8
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

Getting the box off with the R/H shaft is possible. Refitting? Forget it, I tried it and didnt get anywhere so just removed the bearing as I was being lazy but it ended up costing me more time. Easier to take the bracket for the intermediate bearing off the block if you have problems getting the bearing out the carrier
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 20:18   #9
saxpest
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
Getting the box off with the R/H shaft is possible. Refitting? Forget it, I tried it and didnt get anywhere so just removed the bearing as I was being lazy but it ended up costing me more time. Easier to take the bracket for the intermediate bearing off the block if you have problems getting the bearing out the carrier
Going to take the bracket off tomorrow and try again, cheers.
Old 4th December 2014, 21:53   #10
johnnyg_vts
Established Member
North West Region Member

Car(s): 2002 Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
johnnyg_vts will become famous soon enoughjohnnyg_vts will become famous soon enough

I changed my VTS box and clutch with both shafts still in the hubs with the hub nuts still insitu. Left the ball joint in too, took off one end of each drop link for a bit of extra wiggle room. I did it on my back, on my own. It's difficult but not impossible. Get the box lined up and on, then put the 4 bolts in and next pull the roadwheel outwards and get the shaft back in the box. Just be careful not to dislodge your gearbox/ driveshaft seals.
johnnyg_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 07:51   #11
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road

If you're still stuck with this mate, just unbolt the whole intermediate bearing carrier from the back of the engine rather than trying to get the shaft out of it, assuming you have the shaft free of the hub, you can take it out from under the car and then work on getting the shaft out of it away from the car, bit more room etc. I've done this before when the shaft has seized into the bearing housing.
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 08:48   #12
saxpest
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
If you're still stuck with this mate, just unbolt the whole intermediate bearing carrier from the back of the engine rather than trying to get the shaft out of it, assuming you have the shaft free of the hub, you can take it out from under the car and then work on getting the shaft out of it away from the car, bit more room etc. I've done this before when the shaft has seized into the bearing housing.
Both hub nuts still on,I'm following the guide off here, if I unbolt the carrier bracket I'll have enough play to pull the shaft back that extra inch that I need to get it back in, also is it worth regreasing the cv joints while I'm playing with the driveshafts.
Old 5th December 2014, 19:22   #13
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg_vts View Post
I changed my VTS box and clutch with both shafts still in the hubs with the hub nuts still insitu. Left the ball joint in too, took off one end of each drop link for a bit of extra wiggle room. I did it on my back, on my own. It's difficult but not impossible. Get the box lined up and on, then put the 4 bolts in and next pull the roadwheel outwards and get the shaft back in the box. Just be careful not to dislodge your gearbox/ driveshaft seals.

Sounds like a fair bit of manhandling that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6th December 2014, 20:50   #14
saxpest
L-plater

Gearbox is back in and back on the road, thanks for the help all.
Only thing I've noticed is a knock when I move the gearstick to the left, but I'll have a look when it's light.
Old 8th January 2015, 21:57   #15
Maxikep

Maxikep is on a distinguished road
Default cant get gearbox ba

Thanks Gary - if it's only a pump I would be VERY happy.
Gearbox iues are always pricey. I am sure it is oil related.
I'll let you know what I find.
Richard
Maxikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 21:10   #16
Kylus1986

Kylus1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandi699 View Post
It can be done quite easily on the ground with the drivers side shaft in. Does take a lot of practice though. I can now get a box back in and built up in less than half an hour, but I've done it a few times now. Does completely destroy your back though if you are foing it on your own
Kylus1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 21:11   #17
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

Default cant get gearbox back in

I found it's difficult to get the shaft back in the diff hole. rather than wreck your back spend 15 mins getting the old shaft out. I'd not even taken the offside strut off when i was doing it however so the shaft didn't have much give

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th February 2015, 10:03   #18
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

only an idiot wuld try to remove +refit a g/box with shafts still fitted to car
good recipe for damaging drive shafts and seals
its another 10mins to remove o/s shaft
The Following User Says Thank You to axsaxoman For This Useful Post:
Old 9th February 2015, 11:09   #19
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore

if you've removed the passenger side shaft and strut, you can slide the box off the O/S shaft quite easily without damaging the seal which really you should change anyway if they are old for peace of mind. Its getting it back on which would be extremely difficult so dont bother to even attempt it
Old 18th February 2015, 22:54   #20
Kylus1986

Kylus1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
only an idiot wuld try to remove +refit a g/box with shafts still fitted to car
good recipe for damaging drive shafts and seals
its another 10mins to remove o/s shaft
Done it plenty of times with no issue with shafts or seals.

If it seems stupid but it works it isn't stupid
Kylus1986 is offline   Reply With Quote