Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 15th July 2007, 17:10   #1
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Anders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud of
Default Advice

Hi there,

I've just bought a completely standard 2001 MK2 VTR and I want to upgrade the stock CD Player and Speakers to something better. What are my best options for doing this?

A new headunit is a must, I quite like the look of the Alpine ones. Can anyone recommend one? Preferably with an iPod connection but not essential. And I suppose the front components need to be changed aswell. Again, which ones should I got for?

What sort of result would I get by just changing these two? Do I have to get an Amp & Sub aswell? I would rather not have the hassle of having to install these, and theres obviously the cost issue aswell. If I could get decent performance by just changing the headunit and speakers then I'm all for it.

I haven't got a fixed budget but I'd obviously ot want to spend huge amounts. Around £250 as a guide.

Cheers to anyone who can help with this.

Mike
Anders0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 17:40   #2
platty
Established Member
North West Region Member

Car(s): RS 182
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
platty is just really niceplatty is just really niceplatty is just really niceplatty is just really nice

it depends on what you class decent performance as. upgrading the head unit and front speakers to components is a good start especially if considering alpine.

for £250 you will be able to find something pretty decent. but you've got to choices. if you say around 150 for the head unit, you can either the spend 100 on components or split that money and amp some cheaper ones.

my recommendations would be something along the lines of.........

Alpine Ipod Headunit, very good unit!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpi...b5a72d03a7eecb

Boston S50 components, Regularly recommended as the best buy under 150.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bost...b5a72d03a7eecbhttp://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...ts_id/510.html

or.....................

Alpine Components, Clear and strong sound.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...ts_id/510.html

With an alpine, decent build quality and just enough power.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5625.html

Alpine head + Bostons = £230

Alpine head + Alpine Comps + Alpine Amp = £260

just ask if you need any more help.

CLIOPERIENCE!!!!!!

Last edited by platty; 15th July 2007 at 17:44.
platty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 18:12   #3
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Anders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud ofAnders0n has much to be proud of

Cheers for the reply platty.

I was looking at that Apline headunit earlier, best one to go for then?

Which option would you personally go for. Unless it's going to make a massive difference I'd rather have the one without the amp. What about a sub? Not needed?

Also, what about the rear speakers? Do I leave them in?

Thanks again.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:39   #4
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

id have the boston s50s mate and they sound a lot better amped up rather than hooked up to the headunit

rear speakers arent necessary in a small car, amped components up front are ample

also worth sound deadening the doors

you can get a good sub and amp deal for about 110 delivered or 100 picked up, id recommend just getting a headunit, amp, components, wiring and sound deadening for now

then add a sub and another amp later

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 22:54   #5
Jamie89
Infrequent Poster
South West Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3 (97)
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Jamie89 will become famous soon enough

I would go with Pred, as he helped me with my set up! How ever Platty has also give you some very good info for you to think of! Best of luck kiddo
Old 16th July 2007, 18:07   #6
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_VTR View Post
id have the boston s50s mate and they sound a lot better amped up rather than hooked up to the headunit

rear speakers arent necessary in a small car, amped components up front are ample

also worth sound deadening the doors

you can get a good sub and amp deal for about 110 delivered or 100 picked up, id recommend just getting a headunit, amp, components, wiring and sound deadening for now

then add a sub and another amp later
What products would you suggest I get then? Is it difficult to wire an Amp up at the back?

Old 17th July 2007, 00:17   #7
DaveWard
Frequent Poster

DaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to beholdDaveWard is a splendid one to behold

I personally would only spend £80 on a headunit if you have a budget of £250. That gives you more to sped on speakers and an amp that will give you more gain per £. Wiring a amp up is easy as long as you have some basic DIY knowedge.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:04   #8
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

i suggest you get:0-

boston s50s up front - 90 pounds

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/bost...cf8fa8d5da0fd0

kenwood headunit - 44 pound

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-KDC-23...QQcmdZViewItem

or

another kenwood but comes with lead - 58 pounds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-KDC-W3...QQcmdZViewItem

or

another kenwood - with adaptor - 85 pounds

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...fm_p-22561.htm

tbh just keep a look out for some deals on ebay mate, alpine, pioneer, clarion and kenwood are the ones to get imo

so then you will have about 70 - 100 for an amp, just get one for the components for now than add another amp and sub later

jbl amp about 60 pound, includes a wiring kit but when you get it sell it on and get a 4 gauge wiring kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-GTO-2060-5...QQcmdZViewItem

same again but woithout wiring kit, but this amp is perfect to wire up a low powered sub, so you wouldnt need another amp when you come to buy a sub, it would have to be a 150 rms sub though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-GTO-4000-4...QQcmdZViewItem

then the rest of the money if any get a decent wiring kit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-PC4-...QQcmdZViewItem

i may have spent a bit over depending on which headunit you get but will be a very good system

a sub and amp would set you back about 100 so you can save for that after you have bought this

Old 17th July 2007, 08:36   #9
Jacko
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): 08 Golf TDI
Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!Jacko is absolutely fabulous!

wer would the bostons go? just replace the standard front speaker?
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 13:01   #10
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Predator_VTR I've added you on MSN if thats alright. Easier to discuss it that way and you seem pretty clued up.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:14   #11
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

yeah mate ill be on later ok

the bostons will go in the front doors and replace the standards, you will have to wire the crossover to the amp though

Old 17th July 2007, 21:28   #12
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

You about at the moment mate?
Old 17th July 2007, 21:39   #13
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

yeah i tryed to go on msn but theres an error when i log on so just pm me bud

Old 17th July 2007, 21:51   #14
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Ahh Ok I'll just post here.

Whats It worth spending on a Head Unit. Some people spec £140 ones, others spec £50 ones...? Alpine CDE-9850Ri seems to be a popular one, Looking over a few on eBay that shouldn't go above £100.

For components I'm considering the Alpine SXS-1357's and the Boston S50's, Is the £40~ price difference really worth it?

I'm leaning towards just changing the Head Unit and Front Speakers option at the moment as I need to see how it sounds. If It ends up leaving alot to be desired then I'll have to consider adding in a Amp & Sub. How does that sound?

Also is there a decent guide on taking the standard HU out?

Cheers
Old 17th July 2007, 21:58   #15
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

yeah doesnt really matter how much the headunit is tbh, just make sure its got a preout on it at least, stick with alpine, pioneer, clarion and kenwood headunits

you dont need two sets of components in a car of this size, if it was a bigger car then yes, but the fronts will fill the car more and its you that your buying them for

as for just buying speakers and a headunit its ok but you wont be getting the best out of the components until you amp them up, i think you should be able to get a headunit, amp, components and wiring for 250 at least, just depends on what headunit you buy tbh

go into the stickies/FAQs i did do a basic guide on how to do things

Old 17th July 2007, 22:05   #16
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

£250 is not a fixed budget, I'm willing to spend more if its worth it. I want to get the best I can for my money.

Sorry, I meant that I'm considering either of those component speakers. I dont plan to buy both.

Ahh just seen your guide, thanks, don't know how I missed it!
Old 17th July 2007, 22:08   #17
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

you will be able to get yourself a good set up but id highly recommend an amp for the components

ill find you a good amp so you can power a set of components and leaving the two other channels to bridge for to add a sub later, therefore youd only need a sub and box after that

Old 17th July 2007, 22:16   #18
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator_VTR View Post
ill find you a good amp so you can power a set of components and leaving the two other channels to bridge for to add a sub later, therefore youd only need a sub and box after that
That would be great, cheers.

How do I go about getting my front speakers out? I think they are fixed in with rivets.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:18   #19
Anders0n
Established Member
South West Region Member

Ok just bought a Alpine CDE-9850Ri for £116, thats the headunit sorted. Now to decide on speakers, sub and an amp if necessary.
Old 18th July 2007, 19:23   #20
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator

in the basic FAQs it will explain a lot in there mate

get the speakers and then ill find a amp for you ok