Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Styling & Interior

Saxo Styling & Interior If you want to know about Saxo interior and exterior styling, take a look inside this forum...

Old 21st August 2007, 23:45   #1
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Audi A3
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!
Default How-to-Guide: Fitting and wiring Mk2 Angel Eyes

Here is a step by step guide to wiring and fitting Mk2 angel eyes...

What do you need?
A set of mk2 angels
A crimp set or electrical junction boxes can be used
Electrical/waterproof tape
Wire cutters/strippers
Socket set with 10mm socket
Flat head screwdriver

Removing the plastic trim from under the lights:

First things first you need to lift up the bonnet.. if you don't know how to do that you don't have the skills needed to fit the angels

Then we need to remove the plastic trim stips from underneath the headlight.. they are head in with three plastic clips, two clips connect it to the wing and one clip holds it to the headlight...Here you can see the clip that connects the trim to the headlight...

Remove the clip that connects it to the headlight.. the best thing to do is to pull it slightly then slot the flathead screwdriver between the clip and the headlight unit and twist.. it should pop the clip out like this...

Next we need to remove the two clips securing the trim to the wing, these are rather fidly to remove... you need to pull them gently straight out towards you when your facing the car.. they need to be pulled out straight or you'll snap the retaining tabs... as you pull them out a gap will be formed between the trim and the wing.. you can fit the screwdriver in and prize the clips out as before... (don't worry too much about snapping clips as they are easily replaced.. just dont break the trim!)

Removing/fitting the headlight itself:

Now the trim has been removed you should be able to see the three retaining bolts (10mm) for the headlights...

I would recommend removing the bottom one first as it's the most awkward to remove.. you can bend the bumper down slightly whilst doing it... but be gentle and try to avoid this if possible...

Once all the bolts are removed place them in a safe place... then the fiddly part is wriggling the light out.. lift the tab on top of the headlight up slightly, there is a small tab that clips it on.. once this is lifted the unit should wriggle out.. you need to take it straight out towards you.. as there are locating lugs on the bottom of the headlight, you also need to squeeze the bottom of the headlight unit over the bumper that's an extremely tight fit... i recommend you take your time being as gentle as possible remember once the light is free from the car the wiring is STILL ATTACHED so be careful...

Once the light is free disconnect all wiring clips... you need to disconnect the indicator plug (grey/white), the sidelight plug(brown), the main headlight plug(black) and the motor adjuster plug(small black and yellow plug)...

To remove the sidelight and indicator plug you need to prise off the wire clip with a flat head screwdriver then they just slide off.... the main headlight plug just pulls straight out... and the adjustor motor clip needs the tab pushing in whilst sliding it out...

That's the headlight free from the car!!!

The wiring part!

Preparing the car wiring:

Cut the end off the sidelight connector leaving about 5cm of wire behind the plug...

Then strip the ends of the wires and attach female crimps to the original sidelight wires... then wrap electrical tape around the back of the crimp to ensure it is secured and waterproof...

Cover the end of the motor adjuster plug in electrical tape as this is NOT required for angel eyes as they are manually adjusted...

Take note the GREEN WIRE = NEGATIVE/EARTH and the RED WIRE=POSITIVE/LIVE

The wiring should now look like this.. all ready for the headlight to be connected up..

Preparing the angel eye wiring:

Ok before doing this you need to decide what you want to use as your sidelights... angels have four possible sidelights.. there is an LED and the top of the light, the standard sidelight bulb, and two halo rings.. each one is wired in seperately so you need to decide what you want to wire in..

When wiring in these i have wired up the two halo rings and the LED, i have put my standard sidelight bulbs in but NOT wired them in..

Twist the three black wires together and connect a male crimp, twist the three red wires together and connect a female crimp.. apply electrical tape to the back of the crimp to ensure it's water tight...

Optional extra: if you want your original sidelight bulb to function aswell, connect up the three red wires and the RED positive of your original sidelight plug and crimp them together... then connect up the three BLACK wires and the negative of your original sidelight wire and crimp them together.. then connect the sidelight plug..

That's the light prepared and ready to fit!

Connecting up the wiring!

Offer the light up to the car and connect all of the wiring... ensuring that the crimps are connected RED - RED and BLACK - GREEN
Once the crimps are connected tape over them completely so they are fully waterproof...

The wires should all be connected as seen here:

I would strongly recommend testing the bulbs at this stage to ensure everything is working correctly.. so you don't have to keep fitting and removing the headlight...

Refitting the headlight:

Follow the reverse of the headlight removal stage to reconnect the headlight, be careful when fitting the headlights not to snap the top tab...

Make sure the bolts are fastened securely but don't overtighten them..

It should look something like this:

Then the plastic trim can be refitted below the light by simply pushing the clips in... attach the side to the wing first...

Ensure all tools etc. are removed from the engine bay.. close the bonnet and admire your hard work...

Job's a good'un!

Hope that helps!
Alex

Some more information for you:

Broken Clips:

If you managed to snap some of the clips from the headlight trims when removing them they are easily accessable on ebay... from an ebay shop called 'paragonpug'.. they are called "PEUGEOT DOOR MOULDING CLIPS 106,206,207,306,EXPERT"

Here is a direct link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250151235173

Steamed up lenses:

If fitting your angel eyes on a hot day you shouldn't have any problems with the lenses steaming up.. if you notice over time that the lenses of the angel eyes becomed steamed up when in use (especially during cold whether) there is a simple solution!

Remove the rubber cover from the back of the headlight (covers back of headlight).. hold a hair dryer in the back of the headlight until the air inside the headlight is warm, this will make any water vapour inside the light condense and escape the light... then refit the rubber plug before allowing it to cool.. this should prevent any further steaming up issues

Bulbs / bulb upgrades:
Angel's use H1 type bulbs.. DO NOT use HID kit's in them as they will melt the plastic lenses..
Angel's come as standard with halogen bulbs.. but xenon upgrades are available.. that omit 50% more light... i have an Xenon upgrade on mine - you can see the blue bulbs... i will post up some pictures of the xenons at night so you can compare them to the standard bulbs...
These can normally be purchased as an add-on package to the angel eyes...

Indicator bulbs:
The angel eyes themselves are supplied with orange standard bulbs, but with the angel eye's clear lenses the orange bulb stands out and looks out of place... Silvatec indicator bulbs can be bought, the bulbs are silver in appearance but glow with an amber tint.. they are FULLY road legal and E-marked...
These can normally be purchased as an add-on package to the angel eyes... or www.rimstyle.com sell them..

Changing/replacing the headlight bulbs:

Sadly i don't have any photo's of this process.. but here is a little guide to swapping over the headlight bulbs... Also remember not to touch the glass part of the bulb when fitting new bulbs.. as grease on your fingers can perish them...

Firstly distinguish which bulb you are trying to access...

The normal headlight bulb:

you have to twist the round cap.. it's really stiff.. twist it anti clockwise to undo i believe.. i think it has an arrow on it..

It will slip round abought a 3rd of a turn.. then it can be pulled off..

Then you will see a spring loaded metal wire clamping the bulb in.. you need to push the wire down and to the side to unhook it.. once you've unhooked it you should be able to pull the bulb and wiring out of the unit...

Then you need to pull back the rubber insulation coats off the crimps then un attach the crimps from the bulb and replace bulb.. and do the complete opposite to put it back together... the crimps will be a really tight fit and are rather fidly to get out...

The full beam headlight bulb:

Remove the rubber cap on the back of the headlight...

Then you will see a spring loaded metal wire clamping the bulb in.. you need to push the wire down and to the side to unhook it.. once you've unhooked it you should be able to pull the bulb and wiring out of the unit...

Then you need to pull back the rubber insulation coats off the crimps then un attach the crimps from the bulb and replace bulb.. and do the complete opposite to put it back together... the crimps will be a really tight fit and are rather fidly to get out...

Last edited by furioAL; 22nd August 2007 at 00:50.
furioAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 23:46   #2
matthewslee
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): saxo westy mk1 pug 206 skoda fibia vrs lupo gti
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
matthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud ofmatthewslee has much to be proud of

nice 1 mate will help alot ov peeps
matthewslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:17   #3
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore
East Anglia Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. Mk2 Posi Furio 2. Fiesta Zetec S
iTrader Score: 34 (100%)
Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!

Amazing guide mate. So just to clarify . . . you have just used the two halo rings as your side lights?

Last edited by Emma_ZS; 22nd August 2007 at 00:20.
Emma_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:22   #4
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator
Content ContributorCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!furioAL is absolutely fabulous!

I have connected up the two halo rings.. AND the white LED as my sidelights

I have connected up three red and three black wires.. one set of wires for each ring and one set for the LED..

You can see them all here from when i wired them up the first time round... but this time i DID NOT wire in the orange standard sidelight bulbs...

Alex
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:32   #5
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore

Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!Emma_ZS is absolutely fabulous!

So what would i crimp together if i only want the halo rings?
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:34   #6
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Just the two red wires and two black wires.. it is fairly obvious which set of wires are responsible for which halo ring/LED as they are located near to the bulbs...

Old 22nd August 2007, 00:35   #7
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore

Ok thanks i think i should use the led and i also have Xenon bulbs to install too

Last edited by Emma_ZS; 22nd August 2007 at 00:39.
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:43   #8
steviet
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!steviet is a great team player!

good guide mate.
steviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 00:51   #9
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiofanatic View Post
Ok thanks i think i should use the led and i also have Xenon bulbs to install too
You just demanding aren't you Emma

I have added how to change the bulbs and various other bits to the additional information section at the bottom of the guide...

Alex
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:42   #10
Mysticp
Scotland
Track / Motorsport Prep

Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.6i 16v VTS, 2 Classic Minis
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!Mystic is absolutely fabulous!

Oh well, saves me doing a guide i guess i can return to being my usual unhelpful self

Get Involved: Premiumites Car Game
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:17   #11
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioAL View Post
You just demanding aren't you Emma

I have added how to change the bulbs and various other bits to the additional information section at the bottom of the guide...

Alex
LOL your the best!

Thanks very much - would rep but need to spread more love

Emma
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:27   #12
RJ303
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MG ZT CDTi Citroen C4 Picasso VTR+
RJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really nice

So how would you wire them up and retain your sidelights? What crimps would you use, and how?
RJ303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:29   #13
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore

above he has wired the two halo rings and the small LED as the sidelights

Last edited by Emma_ZS; 22nd August 2007 at 18:35.
Old 22nd August 2007, 19:24   #14
RJ303
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

RJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really niceRJ303 is just really nice

I have LED's in the original sidelights too so I wanna keep those too....
Old 22nd August 2007, 19:27   #15
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore

yeah well in that case follow the above guide exactly and you will be fine, I will be doing mine tomorrow
Old 22nd August 2007, 19:29   #16
RJ303
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiofanatic View Post
yeah well in that case follow the above guide exactly and you will be fine, I will be doing mine tomorrow
Make sure you post pics when you do
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:55   #17
Emma_ZS
Saxperience Post Whore

Will do, i shall add them to my progress thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 00:04   #18
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS :)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

Does it make much difference not having wired in the original sidelights?
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:10   #19
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

Yes... the halo rings are more noticeable... even with the headlight bulbs in...
Old 25th August 2007, 00:24   #20
furioALm
Forum Section Moderator

I had the camera out in the garage with me tonight so thought id take some pictures for you Alex, so you can see what it's like without the sidelight bulbs wired in....

This is my fresh new set of angels

Mmmm xenon bright

Alex