Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 27th February 2014, 15:45   #1
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

ady_saxo is on a distinguished road
Default Is this Sub any good and Comparison?

Hello all

Looking for a single 10 or 12 inch sub with built in amp and came across the following for a bit of bass:-

http://www.rw-online.co.uk/fu12a-12~837

Seems like a good price considering it is brand new, sub and amp and also comes with a wiring kit and 12 month warranty.

How does this compare to the Vibe as the Vibe single 10 inch sub with built in amp retails for £199.99. I would understand the price if it was a higher rated brand such as JL Audio but Vibe is fairly common. The Vibe sub i am talking about is as follows:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIBE-CBR-10-.../dp/B000NT6YLM

Thanks
ady_saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 15:53   #2
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

I would not recommend ANYTHING made by Fli. It sounds awful. Really awful.

Vibe isn't much better to be honest but its the lesser of two evils if you are comparing to Fli. Also, I'd stay away from built in amps, they tend to be underpowered so you don't blow them.

JBL are the best for budget bass. Here's some of varying cost but there's plenty more packages to look through.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-cs12-gt5-package-deal

http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-cs12-gto-package-deal

http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-gto-12-deal

http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-gto-12-mono-deal
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 16:20   #3
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muel View Post
I would not recommend ANYTHING made by Fli. It sounds awful. Really awful.

Vibe isn't much better to be honest but its the lesser of two evils if you are comparing to Fli. Also, I'd stay away from built in amps, they tend to be underpowered so you don't blow them.

JBL are the best for budget bass. Here's some of varying cost but there's plenty more packages to look through.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-cs12-gt5-package-deal

http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-cs12-gto-package-deal

http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-gto-12-deal

http://caraudiosecurity.com/jbl-gto-12-mono-deal
hi mate
Thanks for the info

Reason i am looking for a sub with built in amp is to save some space and less hassle with wiring and having to screw the amp in.

When you mentioned that the Fli sounds awful, in what sense do you mean, as in like it seems underpowered or the bass is poor.

They have a twin 12 inch Fli with built in amp wired up to a head unit in the local Halfords and it sounds quite bassy even at a low volume setting.
Old 27th February 2014, 16:34   #4
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

It will barely save you space and hassle. Only 2 things extra you'd need to do is attach the amp to something, and wire the sub to the amp which isn't exactly hard.

Fli just doesn't sound good. You might think it sounds ok, but after you listen to something better you can really tell how poor it is. There are just far better products out there for very similar prices - hopefully someone will back me up on this!
Old 27th February 2014, 16:37   #5
Gashman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Icelandic Furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gashman is on a distinguished road

I had a fli active sub before what I have now, it really was awful. They make a lot of noise but that really is all it is. No sound quality what so ever.

I now have a Audiobahn sub which I got in a clearance sale. Cost me £25 and can't fault it.

If money is tight why not look at 2nd hand? Will get a lot better value for your money than anything from halfords.

This is my setup, I know it's a vibe amp but I got it spanking new for £35!

Gashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 17:06   #6
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashman View Post
I had a fli active sub before what I have now, it really was awful. They make a lot of noise but that really is all it is. No sound quality what so ever.

I now have a Audiobahn sub which I got in a clearance sale. Cost me £25 and can't fault it.

If money is tight why not look at 2nd hand? Will get a lot better value for your money than anything from halfords.

This is my setup, I know it's a vibe amp but I got it spanking new for £35!

hi mate
I have been looking secondhand and locally on gumtree as i can go along and collect. However i am a bit concerned as the used sub and/or amp may be on their last legs due to being driven hard. I have heard of situations where subs and amps have blown and a sub even catching fire.
Old 27th February 2014, 17:11   #7
Gashman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ady_saxo View Post
hi mate

I have been looking secondhand and locally on gumtree as i can go along and collect. However i am a bit concerned as the used sub and/or amp may be on their last legs due to being driven hard. I have heard of situations where subs and amps have blown and a sub even catching fire.

I've never heard of this, but I guess it can happen. There's guys on here which sell things? I've brought loads of here and never been let down.

What about eBay shops?
Old 27th February 2014, 17:17   #8
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
I've never heard of this, but I guess it can happen. There's guys on here which sell things? I've brought loads of here and never been let down.

What about eBay shops?
hi mate
Been looking on here, but they tend to be quite far away and the postage and packing can be quite high

The other issue is that i need someone to fit it for me too as i've never tackled wiring in a sub before so don't want to blow anything in the process.

Happy to pay someone local on here to wire sub in for me.
Old 27th February 2014, 17:19   #9
Gashman
Frequent Poster

Quote:
hi mate

Been looking on here, but they tend to be quite far away and the postage and packing can be quite high

The other issue is that i need someone to fit it for me too as i've never tackled wiring in a sub before so don't want to blow anything in the process.

Happy to pay someone local on here to wire sub in for me.

Wiring a sub and amp is surprisingly easy mate.

Take your time and you won't blow anything!
Old 27th February 2014, 17:30   #10
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Wiring a sub and amp is surprisingly easy mate.

Take your time and you won't blow anything!
hi mate
Its more about getting the wire to the battery, earthing and removing the head unit for which i don't have the removal keys.
Old 27th February 2014, 17:34   #11
Gashman
Frequent Poster

Default Is this Sub any good and Comparison?

Just pull the seals off the doors, remove carpet clips, pull carpet back and run the cables down the side. Power and remote down 1 side. RCA down the other.

I earthed mine under the rear bench, just rub under one of the bolts so you get a contact with bare metal.

Is it a aftermarket head unit? I can simply pull mine out with out jeys
Old 27th February 2014, 18:25   #12
monka
Established Member

monka is on a distinguished road

have a look at the alpine swe-815,

has no where near the power of other things, and its only an 8'' but dont let that put you off.

just put one in my pug, yeah you dont get the low down rumble and all out over powering wobble of a good 12'', (i had the same audiobahn sub above once, and it was awesome) but the quality and volume it kicks out for its size and money are awesome.

have a look at the reviews for them, nothing but praise. and no i didn't buy one because of the reviews, i work for a shop that sells alpine, (no i dont push it, favourite subs are jl's) and when we got the sub and set it up on display i was genuinly gobsmacked, i wasnt expecting how well it did
monka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 15:09   #13
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Vibe is shit, fli is worse like pouring mushy peas in your ears and trying to listen to the music through that. For a £200 budget you can aim for much better than this rubbish, shop around.

And the common mistake, people assume bigger is better, more watts means more power. That is simply not true, but something according to sensivity, as in how many decibels produced for 1 watt of power put through.

Quote:
used sub and/or amp may be on their last legs due to being driven hard. I have heard of situations where subs and amps have blown and a sub even catching fire.
no such thing exception made with a mate of mine who went full power retard one cold winter morning, the (expensive) woofer went boof. it may catch fire if the wires used are too small too handle larger amounts of electricity coming through. I have seen an idiot wirig his HU speaker output into the line input of the amp. Ended up in smoke and tears because the guy was a retard, most of the time problems occurs because the owner is a retard and done something wrong rather than the gear being a problem in itself.

as above, get a better brand such as alpine or JBL and you can't go wrong
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 15:37   #14
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road

Save money by buying an FLi setup, then simply spray the inside of your car liberally with distortion-x, it'll repel the hideous distortion commonly associated with cheaper end setups.
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D4MJT For This Useful Post:
Old 28th February 2014, 19:37   #15
mr_ikon

mr_ikon is on a distinguished road

theres a guy on ebay atm selling 2 12inch kicker subs and a 2000 rms diamond audio amp matey, im sure he is from Huddersfield,so have a look, also diamond audio and kicker... you have to beat that stuff with a nuclear bomb before it breaks
mr_ikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 19:38   #16
mr_ikon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Inch-Su...item2a37bda6de

or look at this you would need a box but it is audiobahn
Old 28th February 2014, 19:40   #17
mr_ikon

sorry the above post it comes with full wiring kit and box sorry i didnt read it properly lol
Old 1st March 2014, 20:40   #18
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_ikon View Post
theres a guy on ebay atm selling 2 12inch kicker subs and a 2000 rms diamond audio amp matey, im sure he is from Huddersfield,so have a look, also diamond audio and kicker... you have to beat that stuff with a nuclear bomb before it breaks
hi mate
What is the link to the ebay ad
Ideally i need a single sub in order to save space
Old 1st March 2014, 20:41   #19
ady_saxo
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Vibe is shit, fli is worse like pouring mushy peas in your ears and trying to listen to the music through that. For a £200 budget you can aim for much better than this rubbish, shop around.

And the common mistake, people assume bigger is better, more watts means more power. That is simply not true, but something according to sensivity, as in how many decibels produced for 1 watt of power put through.

no such thing exception made with a mate of mine who went full power retard one cold winter morning, the (expensive) woofer went boof. it may catch fire if the wires used are too small too handle larger amounts of electricity coming through. I have seen an idiot wirig his HU speaker output into the line input of the amp. Ended up in smoke and tears because the guy was a retard, most of the time problems occurs because the owner is a retard and done something wrong rather than the gear being a problem in itself.

as above, get a better brand such as alpine or JBL and you can't go wrong

hi mate
Are you sure about the Vibe as most of the owner reviews for the single 10 or 12 inch sub with amp built in have been good, hence why they cost around £200 each.
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:36   #20
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Quote:
hi mate
Are you sure about the Vibe as most of the owner reviews for the single 10 or 12 inch sub with amp built in have been good, hence why they cost around £200 each.
Because active subs are crap and so is vibe. Spend £200 on JBL stuff (or even less than that) and you'll have a better system.