Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 5th December 2012, 11:18   #1
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!
Default 6x9 help

Hi chaps, bought a VTS a couple of days ago and it came with some Vibe 6x9's in a stealth shelf. Speakers and what not aren't really my thing but as i have them i may aswell use them to help the performance of the audio in the car.

Now my problem is that they just dont really make any difference, they are working, there is power getting to them and if u gently rest your finger on them you can feel them vibrate, but they just barely make any noticeable noise.

By the looks of it they are wired off of the rear speakers, i dont know if thats how your meant to do it but i think it may be an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 5th December 2012, 13:29   #2
Jizanthapus
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Jizanthapus is on a distinguished road

Is it a standard headunit? Have you checked all connections? + and - the right way round?
Jizanthapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 13:55   #3
jasonmayall
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Rover BRM, Rover 800 Coupe, Mk6 golf.
jasonmayall is on a distinguished road

They shouldnt be wired from the rear speakers by the way, could try running some fresh cable to them?

Do your rear speakers work?
jasonmayall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 13:58   #4
lukebeard
Regular Poster

Car(s): gold saxo vts ep3 civic type r (harry) seat ib
lukebeard is on a distinguished road

mite sound stupid but check the fader on stereo isnt sending all the sound to the front of the car
lukebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 14:03   #5
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!

Thanks for your replies chaps. The stereo is a new Sony one. I didn't think it made much sense for them to be wired from the rear speakers bt thats how it seems to be. The wires going to the 6x9's go down into where the rear speakers are and thats as far as they go.

So should i be running wires straight from the back of the headunit? The headunit has some other holes in the back for a sub etc, i just have no idea about these things lol
Old 5th December 2012, 14:05   #6
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

The speakers work btw, you can hear the extra bass from them etc but i have been in cars with properly working 6x9's and these are definitely not working to their full potential.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:08   #7
lukebeard
Regular Poster

Car(s): gold saxo vts ep3 civic type r (harry) seat ib
lukebeard is on a distinguished road

others were probably run from a seperate amp, thats when they will perform to there max potential. as if they are wired into the existing rear speakers your stereo is powering all your standard speakers plus the 6x9s. poor little headunit haha get a small cheap amp not too hard to wire up at all. surely theres a how to on here?
lukebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 14:13   #8
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

lol ye that makes sense. I wont bother with an amp, i may even remove these and sell them tbh. Thanks anyway
Old 5th December 2012, 14:20   #9
jasonmayall
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Rover BRM, Rover 800 Coupe, Mk6 golf.
jasonmayall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebeard View Post
others were probably run from a seperate amp, thats when they will perform to there max potential. as if they are wired into the existing rear speakers your stereo is powering all your standard speakers plus the 6x9s. poor little headunit haha get a small cheap amp not too hard to wire up at all. surely theres a how to on here?
Dont buy a 'small cheap amp' lol, this may sound better than it does at the moment, but still not to their full potential.

6x9's arent renowned for their sound quality, but you should be getting a lot more out of them than you currently are.

to test them and make sure they work properly, unplug your rear speakers (assuming they work correctly?) and plug the 6x9's into them. If they work, it narrows down where the problem lies.
jasonmayall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 14:21   #10
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

Ok Jason, i'll have a look later and see what i can find out Cheers.
Old 6th December 2012, 07:07   #11
christoph
Established Member
South East Region Member

christoph is on a distinguished road

If they are slicks i can tell you that they aren't half bad unamped. I had them once before. But eitherway, connecting your excisiting rear speakers and these onto the same wire is just asking for trouble. Ditch the rear speakers completly as there not worth the space there in. And direct wire from your HU straight the 6x9's. then everything should work fine

But i will stress how much of a difference decent speaker wire will make too. Upgrading speaker wire is the first thing you should do when you're upgrading your speakers in your car. The standard wire is just pants in comparison!
christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 17:31   #12
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph View Post
If they are slicks i can tell you that they aren't half bad unamped. I had them once before. But eitherway, connecting your excisiting rear speakers and these onto the same wire is just asking for trouble. Ditch the rear speakers completly as there not worth the space there in. And direct wire from your HU straight the 6x9's. then everything should work fine

But i will stress how much of a difference decent speaker wire will make too. Upgrading speaker wire is the first thing you should do when you're upgrading your speakers in your car. The standard wire is just pants in comparison!
Hi Christoph, thanks for your post.

They are Vibe K-Series SE 6x9's. They have proper audio leads going to them. I disconnected them earlier and set the balance all the way to the back and there was silence, suggesting that the normal rear speakers have been unplugged and then the wiring has just been extended using this new wire straight to the 6x9's.

When i can be bothered i will take the rear panels out and investigate the wiring.

Thanks everyone for your help.