Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:48   #1
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road
Default Bleeding coolant system (New with pics)

Right so seeing this morning some one had bumped the thread from 2006 with comments of this is useless with no pics. As I was flushing my system and re filling with antifreeze coolant I thought I would make a guide with pics.

The first step is to make a header tank I use a Lucozade bottle as they have a huge screw top so you use less tape to make a seal.

Th header tank is basically to make the rad filler the highest point in the cooling system making it easier to bleed all the air from.

Step 2 is to remove all bleed points in the system.

This one is in the left hand rear side of the bay and is a hand tighten point with your fingers.

This one is on the right hand side of the block and is a size 5 brass Allen bolt but you can also use the big bolt witch is a 19mm socket job to remove.

And the last one is on the right hand top of the radiator. and is a half turn and pull.

Once all the points are removed you want to fill or top up you're system. I personally use a 50%-50% water and antifreeze mix. Please note that different colours of antifreeze shouldn't be mixed so use like for like.

you want to top up the system so the "lucozade header tank" looks like this.

Once you are at this point you want to turn the heaters on full and hot. This circulates the coolant around the heater matrix and helps remove any air that may be trapped in there too.

Once you start topping up the coolant you are watching the first bleed nipple as soon as it stops bubbling air screw the top back on. and do the same with the second bleed point.

Now its time to start the engine.

once the car is a little warm and the thermostat opens the Third bleed point will start to bubble and leak once it stops bubbling replace the top(WARNING WATER WILL BE HOT). just remember to keep topping up the Lucozade bottle to keep it the high point in the system.

Now all bleed points are secure you are looking for bubbles in the Lucozade header tank. once bubbles stop gargling to the top you are just waiting for the fan to kick in. Once the fan has kicked in and turned off. I advise you wait for it to come on again then turn off the engine.

With the engine off give the top hose from the engine a good squeeze to make sure no air is in there and remove the header tank and you want to some how remove the water in the radiator factory tank to just under the Max line Use a piece of hose to suck it out or I just use a cheap baster from Asda was 99p.

Job done.

Last edited by Bedford126; 3rd December 2012 at 11:27.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bedford126 For This Useful Post: