Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 10th March 2008, 11:34   #1
nathan0711
Regular Poster

Car(s): i have a 1998 citroen saxo 1.1i
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
nathan0711 has a spectacular aura aboutnathan0711 has a spectacular aura about
Default airbag on steering wheel

how do you disable the airbag on the steering wheel so that i can take off the wheel and straighten it up. also how does the wheel come off?
nathan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 11:36   #2
Peejous
Saxperience Addict
West Midlands Region Member

Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!

If the steering wheel is only slightly out then it's probably your tracking mate. However if it's like upside down lol then i have absolutely no idea how to disable the airbag
Old 10th March 2008, 11:52   #3
nathan0711
Regular Poster

im sure that the tracking is ok, the tyres are wearing evenly. the wheel is out by about a quater of a turn, the car is driveable. its just awkward lol
Old 10th March 2008, 11:56   #4
Peejous
Saxperience Addict

Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!Peejous is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan0711 View Post
im sure that the tracking is ok, the tyres are wearing evenly. the wheel is out by about a quater of a turn, the car is driveable. its just awkward lol
does seem quite a bit out to be tracking. but as i said i have absolutely no idea about removing it. ill have a browse through my haynes at lunch and let you know if someone else doesnt already.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:14   #5
nathan0711
Regular Poster

ok then thanks mate.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:24   #6
Peejous
Saxperience Addict

Drivers airbag
Note: New airbag retaining screws will be required on refitting.
Removal
Disconect the negative lead on the battery
Slacken and remove the two Torx screws from the rear of the steering wheel, rotating the wheel as necessary to gain access to the screws.
Return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, then carefully lift the airbag assembly away from the steering wheel and disconnect the wiring connector from the rear of the unit. All airbag wiring is typically orange in colour to aid identification. Note that the airbag must not be knocked or dropped, and should be stored the correct way up with its padded surface uppermost.

Refitting
Make sure that the wheel is in the straight ahead position.
Reconnect the wiring connector and seat the airbag unit in the steering wheel, ensuring that the wire does not become trapped. Fit the new retaining screws and tighten them to the specified torque.
Making sure that no-one is inside the car, reconnect the battery negative lead. keeping your face away from the steering wheel, switch on the ignition and check the operation of the airbag warning light.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:29   #7
nathan0711
Regular Poster

thanks, will try that later.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:32   #8
Peejous
Saxperience Addict

Steering Wheel
Note: A new steering wheel securing nut must be used on refitting
Removal
Set the front wheels in the straight ahead postion and releave the steering lock by inserting the ignition key. Check that the direction in indicator switch is in the central, cancelled position.
On models with drivers a ire, remove the airbag unit as described (above)
Slacken the steering wheel Torx retaining bolt by a few turns but do not remove it yet
Mark the steering wheel and steering column shaft in relation to each other then pull the steering wheel towards you (if their already straight) If it is tight tap it up near the centre using the palm of your hand, or twist it from side to side whelst pulling upwards to release it from the shaft splines. If the wheel is particularly tight a suitable puller should be used. When the wheel has been released from the splines remove the securing bolt and the wheel.

Refitting
Reverse of above basically but check:
>Indicator is in central position
>Line the wheel as central as posible to get it inline with the straight ahead position
>Tighten retaining bolt to specified torque

NOW REP ME BITCH!
Old 10th March 2008, 14:37   #9
nathan0711
Regular Poster

its not as simple to take off as i thought lol. is it really neccessary to change the bolts and the nut just to straighten up the wheel?
Old 10th March 2008, 14:39   #10
Peejous
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan0711 View Post
its not as simple to take off as i thought lol. is it really neccessary to change the bolts and the nut just to straighten up the wheel?
I wouldn't have thought so tbh, i honestly dont know. Sometimes you can cut corners that Hayne's mention because they seem to take the piss sometimes, i dont think it would really matter so long as their not damaged in any way.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:45   #11
nathan0711
Regular Poster

ok then thanx very much for the advice your a great help. will give you some rep when the site lets me. says ive got to spread some before i can give you some again, but dont worry will give you some when it lets me youve been a great help!
Old 10th March 2008, 14:56   #12
Peejous
Saxperience Addict

yeah no worries mate, let us know if you sort it alright
Old 10th September 2008, 13:04   #13
furiosteve
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo 1.4 Furio
furiosteve is on a distinguished road

A good mechanic I know advised me to use some kind of threadlock on the steering wheel securing nut before refitting.
furiosteve is offline   Reply With Quote