Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 26th March 2009, 23:34   #1
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MG ZR 1.4
TheVtrKid is on a distinguished road
Default A little trouble with windows

I seem to have a slight problem with my PC lately. It seems to have happend since i installed GTA IV, but i've uninstalled that now. I've defragged, cleaned it with registry mechanic and booster, i've made sure all the drivers are upto date using driver scanner and they are but its just so slow. I restarted it earlier, and when it comes on the Windows XP screen, with the bar underneath that moves across, it stayed on that screen for well over a minute. It used to take about 10 15 seconds. Once its booted and loaded up fully, it seems to be fine but it takes about 10 minutes to boot up fully, and i know that ain't right. Also the sound has just started to sound really crackly now and again, only like every 2 minutes or so, but it gets annoying when listening to music and stuff. Here are my computer specs:

Windows XP Professional
Asrock Dual Series 4Coredual-VSTA Motherboard
Intel Core 2 quad CPU Q6600 2.40Ghz
2GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9500GT Graphics card

I believe they are the main things? I have a quite high spec PC, but its running so slow. I use it as a gaming machine a lot, i have loads of games, big games like COD 4, COD 5, Hawx, Fear and the 2 add ons, mirrors edge and more, but there all installed on a different harddrive, so it shouldn't interfere with the system performance?

Ok i was exaggerating a bit with 10 minutes to boot up, it takes about 6 minutes, but its still not right...i know that!

Last edited by TheVtrKid; 26th March 2009 at 23:51.
TheVtrKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 08:49   #2
bpm
Established Member
Central South Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 16v 1.6 VTS '99 (Pearlescent Blue/Red
bpm is on a distinguished road

Startup is loading all your drivers as well as booting windows, so I would imagine it would be an issue there. If your sound is going wrong then thats the first place to look.

Vista is well known for having major driver and compatibility issues.

Check your Device Manger to ensure everything is installed and running properly (there will be a nice exclamation mark in yellow if it isnt) and reinstall the driver software for your sound card anyway.
Old 27th March 2009, 10:29   #3
TheVtrKid
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MG ZR 1.4
TheVtrKid is on a distinguished road

im on windows XP mate, not vista. Yeah i thought that about the services, its on selective startup in the start and run menu? And i unchecked some services not to boot up when windows starts, but then the next time i restarted my internet had gone off and alsorts of stuff, i didn't know what needed to be booted up and what didn't so i just selected them all. I've checked the device manager and no exclamation marks anywhere. I installed the latest driver last night for the sound card and graphics card, its a realtek hd audio soundcard or something? but its still doing the crackly sound. Also now playing games its really bitty, like lag, it stops every few seconds, only stops for half a second or something, but as you can imagine it gets really annoying.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:59   #4
bpm
Established Member
Central South Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 16v 1.6 VTS '99 (Pearlescent Blue/Red
bpm is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have something running in the background thats slowing your system down, that boots up on startup. I take it you have checked for viruses? Otherwise run Msconfig from your run command and deslect all unnecessary programs running in the background.