Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 25th March 2009, 00:03   #1
Spanky
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Spanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team member
Question Crap tower??

Hey guys.

Basically my comp is really slow (no this is not another thread about defragging etc!)

I have bee doing all the right things, virus scans, defragging, removing programs i never use etc etc etc.

Still slow as fook.

I have even switched to the windows 98 theme as with the XP theme its just unbearable!

Spoke to a mate a while back who asked the spec of my comp.

He said my problem was that the comp has a crap memory, great proceser, but usless memory.... Is this correct??

Here is the spec of my comp (its a little old)

Packard Bell Computer
Intel[R]
Pentium[R] 4 CPU 2.93 GHz
2.93 GHz, 248MB Ram

Now im not expert with comps etc, but i checked my mams laptop a few days ago and hes has a 1.93 GHz procesor but 3GB of RAM and hers is fast as fook!!

As i missing somthing here??

any help would be great,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto_VTR View Post
who does speed, then boast about it. well done.
Quote:
and mate, i guarentee ive been faster on a public road than you ever will...
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 09:05   #2
bpm
Established Member
Central South Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 16v 1.6 VTS '99 (Pearlescent Blue/Red
bpm is on a distinguished road

Theres a hundred factors but a definite YES on the RAM. Windows XP was designed to be able to run on 256mb of RAM but they do mean it just runs, not runs well.

Without knowing the full specs of your computer but guesssing from the fact youve been using it with 256MB of RAM you dont do gaming or any HD video, its just internet, email, word usage, etc, right?

In which case I would save most of your cash and just upgrade to 1GB of RAM. A single 1GB stick can be bought for less than £30. (or possibly two * 512k).

Make sure that the RAM is compatible with your computer though, look in the motherboard manual or find it online. Things to check are the speed it runs at (ie, 1333MHz or 1600Mhz, etc) wether its ECC or non-ECC, buffered and also how many chips it uses on it. Most suppliers (even on ebay) will give you this info. The last bit about how many chips is because some computers are fussy and cant handle so many. Youre motherboard manual will give recommendations to RAM Manufacturers that have been pre tested as compatible.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:45   #3
Matty_VTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS / Twingo RS133
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Matty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to beholdMatty_VTR is a splendid one to behold

Agreed with that.. go into your Device manager and see what type of Ram.. my guess would be that is DDR2 but best to double check. You should upgrade to at least 1GB it will make such a difference.
Old 25th March 2009, 16:25   #4
Stickyjam
Established Member

Stickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to all

id be guessing its either slow ddr2 or ddr memory... a quick memory upgrade will do wonders..

the difference between your mums laptop and yours is hers is probably a newer core2duo chip where as yours in the older p4... technology gets better and this doesnt just mean raw mhz...

ddr2...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GeIL-2GB-PC2-6...1%7C240%3A1318

ddr

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-Memory...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-1GB-2x...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsair-Platin...1%7C240%3A1318

a few links to watch... nice cheap upgrades if you can bid to win on ebay...

if you get the model of the PC your using its easy as to check what ram you need...

Last edited by Stickyjam; 25th March 2009 at 16:27.
Stickyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 03:09   #5
Spanky
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
Spanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team memberSpanky is a well respected team member

hey guys, forgot about this thread lol

Can you tell me where i can find the model number of my comp??

dont have a bloody clue where manuals etc etc are....

Its just doing my nut tbh, takes ages to load certain things.

For example, if i send my webcam to my mam it takes around 5 misn to let me do anything else while it loads up the webcam

Also i was thinking, would it not be better int he long run to just upgrade to a better tower??
Quote:
who does speed, then boast about it. well done.
Quote:
and mate, i guarentee ive been faster on a public road than you ever will...
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 17:23   #6
-E-N-Z-O-
Frequent Poster
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Silver Mk2 VTR
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
-E-N-Z-O- will become famous soon enough-E-N-Z-O- will become famous soon enough

You can get a stick of 1gb ram for about £15 delivered. Take a look here. You can scan your system to discover the ram you use and to find out what is not compatible. Assuming its the poor ram thats slowing your system down, going to 1gb will make a rather large difference.
-E-N-Z-O- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 17:27   #7
Stickyjam
Established Member

Stickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxo_89 View Post
hey guys, forgot about this thread lol

Can you tell me where i can find the model number of my comp??

dont have a bloody clue where manuals etc etc are....

Its just doing my nut tbh, takes ages to load certain things.

For example, if i send my webcam to my mam it takes around 5 misn to let me do anything else while it loads up the webcam

Also i was thinking, would it not be better int he long run to just upgrade to a better tower??
depends on your budget tbh... at the lower budget may aswell just upgrade ram for the money you could spend... if you had a budget of 400-700 a new system wud be sweet as
Stickyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 15:23   #8
bpm
Established Member
Central South Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 16v 1.6 VTS '99 (Pearlescent Blue/Red
bpm is on a distinguished road

To find out the compatible RAM, open your case, look onto the motherboard for the model. ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, etc and which model number it is. For example ASUS P6T6.
Once you have this info go onto google and type in that plus manual. There will be one somewhere in pdf format. Normally in your first few pages you will find all the details about your RAM and compatible ones.