Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 13th November 2018, 10:00   #1
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road
Default Rate of revs falling when lift off accelerator

Hi all,

Just checking something. I have a VTS and my son has a 1.1 desire. On his car, when you blip the throttle, or also when you change gear, the revs drop pretty quickly . Makes it a bit tricky to rev match actually. On my VTS the revs drop much more slowly - to the point that it's quite easy to end up with a little rise in revs between gears if you don't remember to lift off the throttle first.

Do others find this with their cars? Is it a deliberate thing or maybe a difference in intakes?

I find that on most modern cars, the revs are slowly lowered, I've always thought it is to help 'lazy' drivers that don't have any interest in trying to change gear smoothly, but that wouldn't explain it in terms of my VTS which is 18 years old
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 19:02   #2
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

My 1.1 drops the revs pretty quickly. Less rotational mass I would assume so loses speed quicker?
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 19:43   #3
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturbo View Post
Hi all,

Just checking something. I have a VTS and my son has a 1.1 desire. On his car, when you blip the throttle, or also when you change gear, the revs drop pretty quickly . Makes it a bit tricky to rev match actually. On my VTS the revs drop much more slowly - to the point that it's quite easy to end up with a little rise in revs between gears if you don't remember to lift off the throttle first.

Do others find this with their cars? Is it a deliberate thing or maybe a difference in intakes?

I find that on most modern cars, the revs are slowly lowered, I've always thought it is to help 'lazy' drivers that don't have any interest in trying to change gear smoothly, but that wouldn't explain it in terms of my VTS which is 18 years old
Revs drop slow in modern cars to help with emissions. it's electronically programmed to do that.

a VTS is not, it sounds like you might have a slight air leak somewhere or a sticking ICV.
Old 17th November 2018, 22:14   #4
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

They all shut the injectors off on overrun, even very early injection cars from the 1980s.
If your VTS doesn't cut on overrun it's likely that the throttle pot is either not connected correctly or faulty.
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2018, 09:01   #5
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

Recently changed out the TPS as the one on the car was reading spiky resistance values over it's travel and the car was hunting / misfiring on light load. Idle's and drives fine now. I know about cutting injector drive on overrun, but does that include when the car is stationery and being revved in neutral? I would have thought in that situation the ECU would not completely cut injector drive?

Tbh I have listened to quite a few VTS being revved (usually demonstrating a new exhaust) on youtube and it seems about right. I have a lexia setup coming next week so I can get some info from that.
Old 19th November 2018, 13:21   #6
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

I've taken a wee video of me revving the car, just out of curiosity. Pretty sure it's fine, certainly seemed to be going well when I matched a friend in a >200hp BMW up to... well a fair speed shall we say!

http://imgur.com/gallery/NjBqp2D