Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep' > Track Chat
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track Chat This forum is for general chat related to track / motorsport, including photos of builds, etc. Please keep the main forum section based upon technical discussion.

Old 19th October 2010, 15:13   #21
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
What do you guys think would be a good track for starting out on for the inexperienced? And why?
Your closest track, you can go there before hand to see what lines people take and see how people drive.

+ if you have an off you are closer to home.

Travelling hundreds of miles because another 'track' is cheap may not be as economical as you think.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:06   #22
Aly
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about

I've only been on Croft 4 times.
2 times driving and 2 times as a passenger.

About the Circuit

Croft is like many circuits in the UK, built on an old army base, was formerly named RAF Croft and was used in Word War II.
It has been a major host of the BTCC since 1996 and attracts people from all over the country.

The circuit is 2.1 miles long.
12 Bends in total.
The lap record is held by Sergio Pérez of 1:13.656 in a F3 Car.

Croft is located near Dalton-on-Tees in North Yorkshire.

Course Difficulty

As with many tracks croft in the wet and croft in the dry are very different circuits, however in something like a Saxo you can still drive in a similar manner and the track is quite forgiving.

For me in the wet you want to be careful everywhere really, but the corners that can catch you out are;

Tower Bend - Just before the braking point is a small dip in the track, if you catch this right in the wet you can lock up completely and find yourself heading straight into a field, it's all about luck if you can can stop in this situation, it has happened to me and the feeling was when I locked up the car felt like it was accelerating.

Jim Clark Esses into Barcroft - Again in the dry you can take both of these flat out. In the wet however I was braking slighlty before I hit the Esses then I went through Esses with half power then full power through Barcroft, you gain a lovely sensation of the car drifiting but at no point does it feel out of control, if you have experienced wet weather track days you will be used to this.

Sunny In Sunny Out - I would offer caution to these corners, if you are following someone closely in the wet into these bens then my advice is to back off. So many times I have seen people lose it on Sunny In Sunny Out and the other car has not had the space or time to avoid them.
In the dry Sunny In Sunny Out is a wonderful bend, you go from negative camber into positive camber and the bend hugs you, at first there is a sense the car will not stick but mid corner you suddenly gain loads of grip, if you can take these corners well it will set you up nicely for the Complex.

I won't go through every corner, the rest of the circuit is pretty straight forward.
Biggest crash zones are Hawthorn, I've watched people understeer into the tyres, simply because they don't know how to drive and people going off at Tower, but you just end up beached in a field.

Cost of Croft varies from £149 with Javelin
88db 6 x 15 min sessions.

There is another company that offer open pitlane I think it costs £260 and that is 98db.

It is a good day out, really good viewing areas and plenty of facilities

Last edited by Aly; 20th October 2010 at 11:08.
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aly For This Useful Post:
Old 21st October 2010, 11:49   #23
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

I think something similar to the below should maybe be done for all tracks to show others into detail about the course and so on. And would help them in affect chose what tracks would suit them.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 02:03   #24
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

RAF odiham;
This track IMHO is one of the best. Its quite flat on the straight, the straight is long about mile and a half +. Then the track has a big 160 degree right hander, should carry good corner speed through here, the exit runs wide. then straighten up and you have a very fast 90 degree left hander, was flat out in the ST at about 100ish and about 90 in the saxo, really nice corner, then you have a mini straight that goes into a fast right hander corner then after this the track has quite alot of undulations and s type corners, then back onto the straight. As it's an airfield the ground, concrete is quite abrasive and wears tyres quickly. the grip there is enormous though because of the abrasive nature of the concrete. on the main straight the saxo was hitting the limiter at the end of the straight with 125mph on the clocks, the ST was getting to about 135.
This track is also the reason I met my beutifull fiance Kristel.

Track really recommended, if they manage to get any more track days there again.

Last edited by kristel10589; 18th November 2010 at 02:12.
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 20:11   #25
gavin_t
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): 1999 mk2 VTS EP3 2004 civic type r
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
gavin_t is on a distinguished road

Right now ive done Oulton park I will give my views

Only experianced it in the wet but I was very impressed with it. Has a bit of everything and is in my opinion just the right length. Not too short and not too long to get to grips with in a day.
Also has a good bit of elevation to mix it up a bit and is nice and scenic Reminded me a little of the nurburgring.
Favorite part of the track was the first right hander which has a nice bit of negative camber too it giving it a little bit of a wall of death feel so you can really chuck the car in and use the grip

rates as my new favorite I think shame its so far away for me
gavin_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 21:04   #26
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

Brands hatch: Indy

Brands Hatch, one of the all time greatest race tracks in the uk. Renowned for it's silky smooth surface so lots of grip and no sketchy cracks or patches to avoid. I have been a passenger round this track many many times and frequently setup cars at races here by talking to the drivers. So i know all the little characteristics. My first drive being december 17th.

The most famous corner here is the intimidating paddock hill. And the first. This corner is much steeper in reality when you get to it. It is a blind right hand downhill corner. Depending on how hard you are pushing greatly changes the way you take this corner. For novices i caution you to take this corner with care. You brake late, or go in too fast you'll be in the gravel or the wall as you take off over the curb. Enter as far left as possible and start the turn to the right slightly earlier than you think and just before you can see over the whole corner. This will bring you through the middle of the corner and down the hill to the outside edge. The more you are pushing the faster you can do this latter stage. As the compression of the decent give enormous amounts of grip. Although the marshals frown upon the use of the curb.

The next significant corner is druids. This is a hairpin with an uphill entry from paddock hill. The key is to hug the inside a little longer than you think to allow you to get the power on early and push out onto the curb going back down hill.

Then Graham Hill bend. Fairly straight forward. early braking to make best use of the exit.

Then a small straight, keeping right for surtees.

Surtees. This is a surprisingly fast corner. Cutting in quick from the outside bring it across to touch the inside curb, you will probably experience slight understeer here, but this will guide you into the second part of the s (Mclaren) and straight into the braking zone as it levels out over the crest. Being careful not to brake heavily while the car is light going over the crest. Wait for the car to set.

Next is Clearways. You need to slow it down and take a late apex leaving Mclaren to get a good run onto the the main straight. If you have a very stiff rear spring rate you will feel the car trying to lead out here, so be careful. In a saxo it shouldn't be too bad though. (I'm used to formula renault). Then across the line bringing it to the left hand side ready for paddock.

In all, the indy circuit is a smooth, undulating circuit that is a easy to learn, but a challenge to master. You won't get bored.

Adam

Last edited by adamskiTNR; 18th November 2010 at 21:07.
adamskiTNR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adamskiTNR For This Useful Post:
Old 19th November 2010, 09:07   #27
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristel10589 View Post
RAF odiham;
This track IMHO is one of the best. Its quite flat on the straight, the straight is long about mile and a half +. Then the track has a big 160 degree right hander, should carry good corner speed through here, the exit runs wide. then straighten up and you have a very fast 90 degree left hander, was flat out in the ST at about 100ish and about 90 in the saxo, really nice corner, then you have a mini straight that goes into a fast right hander corner then after this the track has quite alot of undulations and s type corners, then back onto the straight. As it's an airfield the ground, concrete is quite abrasive and wears tyres quickly. the grip there is enormous though because of the abrasive nature of the concrete. on the main straight the saxo was hitting the limiter at the end of the straight with 125mph on the clocks, the ST was getting to about 135.
This track is also the reason I met my beutifull fiance Kristel.

Track really recommended, if they manage to get any more track days there again.
Ive been asked to go there by a mate in the raf who does alot of track days there.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 14:21   #28
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
Ive been asked to go there by a mate in the raf who does alot of track days there.
Highly recommend it if you get a chance. The sole companie that organises it RMA track days have stopped going there as at one of there last events there, there was alot of twatish driving and some cars crashed off and damaged the lighting system etc that they use to land the chinooks.
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 19:42   #29
Paulp
Super Moderator

Car(s): Astra VXR + 1989 Astra GTE
iTrader Score: 37 (100%)
Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!Paul is absolutely fabulous!

Anyone fancy doing a review on Anglesey track?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12u55 View Post
14 inches or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9900 View Post
sorry bud, too big for me. GLWS tho
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 20:23   #30
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

if i go there i will be more than happy lol
Old 2nd January 2011, 14:47   #31
harry289
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Icelandic Grey Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
harry289 is on a distinguished road

Snetterton 300 new layout for 2011

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/norfolk/...00/9031824.stm
harry289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:50   #32
JoshB
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 2010 E92 320i MSport
JoshB is on a distinguished road

Great thread guys. After reading all the reviews I think I'll head for Mallory Park when the time comes to pop my cherry, as it's not too far away and looks like a good beginner track!

Elvington is my closest but it looks like everyone hates it! Lol.

--------------------------------
Ooooh, Shiney!
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 17:02   #33
Reechard
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 2x Mazda Mx5s, Volvo s80, Citroen DS4
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Reechard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Anyone fancy doing a review on Anglesey track?
If you still want one and no one has done one then in may I should be going down there.