Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 8th July 2020, 04:16   #1
Ticity

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS 2001 8v Ford Focus mk1.1999 zetec
Ticity is on a distinguished road
Smile Front spring mounting position

Hey guys, I'm finally putting my Saxo back together after sitting for a couple years waiting for a miracle.
I have to put it back in original shape for the long overdue mot, and since it's about 6 years since I rebuilt the front suspension to coilovers, I have no idea how the lower seat for the front springs are positioned.

Are they sitting straight down, or to one of the sides, seen from above? I'll see if I can get some pictures up, since it's hard to explain.

Cheers
Ticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 04:19   #2
Ticity

Old 8th July 2020, 04:19   #3
Ticity

Old 8th July 2020, 08:37   #4
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Like so

sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 12:49   #5
Shemo30

Shemo30 is on a distinguished road

I am after getting a set a lowering springs gram 160 30 mm drop.
And set them up with standard shocks. I put the top mounts on and there is no compression what so ever on the spring it is just loose between top and bottom shock mounts. Any had this before? Will I have to upgrade to Bilstein b8’s for them to work?
Shemo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:03   #6
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemo30 View Post
I am after getting a set a lowering springs gram 160 30 mm drop.
And set them up with standard shocks. I put the top mounts on and there is no compression what so ever on the spring it is just loose between top and bottom shock mounts. Any had this before? Will I have to upgrade to Bilstein b8’s for them to work?
You say you are 'after' buying them, which means you want to buy them (where I come from), but then say you've got them and there is a gap? So is this pre or post tense, with the purchase?

The free length of the springs are too short, for the damper. You can combat this with shorter variants. 'billies' were the weapon of choice on the forum, when it was actually a forum, as they produced a shorter version.

OR live with it, as many a youth did, back in the day.
You'll get a massive twang when you turn the wheel (possibly), and they might not seat correctly when you lower the car each time from a jack or stand, which then can knacker the bearings just under the top mount.
And of course on any rally stage, you're likely to have the spring unseat when you go 'over crest' or whatever Merion and his crew talk like, when they approach a hill.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote