Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 24th September 2013, 12:00   #1081
AS_BO
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Ph2 VTR
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
AS_BO is on a distinguished road

Spot on thanks Tim.

The prices as stated in the links are with or without member discount?

Cheers

Matt
AS_BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 12:44   #1082
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Hi Matt

Those are the standard prices, use the code SAXP for the members discount.

Cheers

Tim
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 20:48   #1083
jimmyray86

jimmyray86 is on a distinguished road
Default Old Bangor

I have a very high mileage 1.1 98 Saxo, what would be the best oil to use for a top up
jimmyray86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 20:57   #1084
jimmyray86

jimmyray86 is on a distinguished road

Also, I have diesel oil in the shed, its 10w 40 cheap brand stuff. Is this useable?
jimmyray86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 21:36   #1085
iVTR
Established Member

Car(s): Mk2 Silver VTR
iVTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyray86 View Post
Also, I have diesel oil in the shed, its 10w 40 cheap brand stuff. Is this useable?
You want to put diesel oil in a petrol car?
Old 5th November 2013, 09:25   #1086
oilman
Established Member

oilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud ofoilman has much to be proud of

Hi

That 10w-40 should be fine, depending on how basic it is.

There is no such thing as a diesel or petrol engine oil, putting 'Diesel' in the name is done to give the customer confidence the oil is suitable for their car. While some oils might carry specifications that make them suitable for diesel engines, it doesn't make them any less suitable for petrol ones. If you look at the specifications that an oil meets, there will usually be an ACEA one. That will say something like A3/B3 or A5/B5 where the A relates to petrol engines and B for diesels. Diesels can be more fussy about the oil used than petrol engines, but that's usually due to the diesel particulate filters fitted to some modern ones. They need certain oils, but those oils are fine for petrol engines as well. A good example of that is the BMW LL04 specification, which is aimed at long life use in petrol and diesel engines without harming the DPF.

Cheers

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to oilman For This Useful Post:
Old 5th November 2013, 14:37   #1087
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

Don't some diesel oils contain more detergents?I read a feature on a rover forum where an old car had its sump dropped and you could see it was full of sludge and general rubbish from missed changes etc. They then ran it on a diesel oil of the correct grade and it had cleaned all the old sludge deposits out of the sump when the oil was drained. Not something id try unless it was a very old beater of a car mind you but interesting never the less
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 15:10   #1088
oilman
Established Member

Hi

Not to my knowledge, most oils labelled as diesel are exactly the same oil as the 'petrol' version, then just sold with a different label.

From the sound of the thing on the Rover forum, the car wasn't looked after properly, leading to a sludge build up, but then any half decent oil with a suitable level of detergents would have cleaned it out just as well. We don't recommend using engine flushes, instead we recommend using a fairly standard oil for a short change (like a weeks worth of use or something like that) and then put the right stuff in. It sounds to me that was what they did with the Rover, but they happened to use an oil labelled 'diesel' rather than something like a reputable 10w-40 semi, which would have done the same thing.

If you have a look at Mobil 1 0w-40 and Mobil 1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel, they meet all the same specs, so both are as suitable for petrol as they are for diesels. That's pretty normal if you look at a normal and 'diesel' version of an oil. The only one I can think of where the diesel and normal version are different are the Castrol Edge 5w-40. The TD version was originally designed for the VW group PD diesel engines, but it also meets a lot of specs for petrol. The PD engines need an oil that can behave in a certain way, it's not to do with a different level of detergents. The 'petrol' version meets loads of diesel specifications, such as the latest Merc, Vauxhall and BMW ones as well as other diesel specs for Renault etc and some petrol specifications. Really it was a bit daft calling one of them the Turbo Diesel version, where it would have been more sensible to call it Edge 5w-40 PD.

Cheers

Tim
Old 10th November 2013, 01:39   #1089
Jk_Alentejano

Jk_Alentejano is on a distinguished road

Hello Tim

I got a Saxo 1.5D with 133k miles, i do moderate to fast driving, but mostly moderate and my climate is mostly 0 to 40ºC.
I always used 10w40 oils but now i'm thinking on putting on a 5w40 beacause of a good deal, would you think will be better for the engine, it consumes very little oil, almost nothing, and it runs strong.
Also, do you recommend changing to oil filter every time? And pro's and con's about an engine flush?

The two options i have are these:
- http://www.wolflubes.com/EN_EU/produ...uct_21116.aspx
- http://www.wolflubes.com/EN_EU/produ...uct_15127.aspx

Best regards

Joaquim
Jk_Alentejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 09:43   #1090
oilman
Established Member

Hi Joaquim

A 5w-40 would offer better all round protection.

Engine flushes can be harmful, we don't recommend them generally. If you want to flush the engine out, use some cheap oil and run it for a week or so, then drop that out and use the right stuff.

You should change the filter with each service, they only cost a little anyway.

I can't comment on those oils, we've never dealt with them.

Regards

Tim
Old 5th December 2013, 14:43   #1091
oilman
Established Member

Hi,

Until midnight Sunday we have a 20% SALE on our website with voucher code SALE20

If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Oilman
Old 11th December 2013, 09:45   #1092
KierenCrawford
Banned

iTrader Score: -1 (0%)
KierenCrawford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Hi,

Until midnight Sunday we have a 20% SALE on our website with voucher code SALE20

If you need any oil advice then we are here to help! You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Oilman
Wish I had seen this before Sunday !!!!
KierenCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 15:41   #1093
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

ashj22 is on a distinguished road
Default what oil to use?

hi, just found this forum wondering what oil to use on citreon saxo vtr 1998. because at the minute my car is just eating oil,when topped up to the required level then checked less than 200 miles later its not even showing on the dip stick,the oil that im using is 10w 40 mineral because the shop that i get it in has a book and for my car that is what it suggests,also i dont know where the oil is going because my car dosent have plumes of smoke coming from the exhaust and i cant see any leaks. thanks
ashj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 16:00   #1094
oilman
Established Member

Hi

A mineral 10w-40 is a basic option for that and can burn off quite quickly, although it sounds like it's burning too much. I'd try a 10w-40 semi or full synthetic and if the rate it's burning doesn't slow, then it's likely that it needs some engine work.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16th December 2013, 16:08   #1095
ashj22
Infrequent Poster

ashj22 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. someone said that if i switch to synthetic now the seals may go, is that just rubbish? the only problem at the minute is having to top up alot, the car feels like it drives fine to me.
ashj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 16:28   #1096
oilman
Established Member

Hi

That's not true, a synthetic will usually help seals.

Cheers

Tim
Old 16th December 2013, 18:32   #1097
Cam
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Gen 7 Celica 190.
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Cam is on a distinguished road
Default Oil advice and recommendations here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj22 View Post
Thanks for the reply. someone said that if i switch to synthetic now the seals may go, is that just rubbish? the only problem at the minute is having to top up alot, the car feels like it drives fine to me.

You need to worry about where the oil is going rather then what oil to use
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 19:25   #1098
AS_BO
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Ph2 VTR
AS_BO is on a distinguished road

Hi Tim,

The Sax has gone and I've recently bought a Twingo 133 Silverstone GP. The car is still under warranty but I want to keep on top of oil changes as good practice. It's completely standard but due to the nature of my driving (mainly motorway so due to gear ratios sits at about 4000RPM @ 75 MPH).

Completely standard car due to warranty. 4500 miles on the clock.

Driven in anger maybe twice a week. Want to change gearbox oil too as that is always overlooked and can be the saviour of many a gearbox!!

What can you recommend bud? Fully synth of course as that last stuff you recommended completely transformed the Saxo!

Cheers

Matty
AS_BO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 09:22   #1099
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
You need to worry about where the oil is going rather then what oil to use
Yes and no. If the oil used is the most basic thing available, it might not be what it seems. Cheap oils suffer from less quality control, so although it might say 10w-40 on the can, it could be a different grade like a 10w-30. Also, mineral oils burn off quicker than synthetics.

Cheers

Tim
Old 17th December 2013, 09:29   #1100
oilman
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS_BO View Post
Hi Tim,

The Sax has gone and I've recently bought a Twingo 133 Silverstone GP. The car is still under warranty but I want to keep on top of oil changes as good practice. It's completely standard but due to the nature of my driving (mainly motorway so due to gear ratios sits at about 4000RPM @ 75 MPH).

Completely standard car due to warranty. 4500 miles on the clock.

Driven in anger maybe twice a week. Want to change gearbox oil too as that is always overlooked and can be the saviour of many a gearbox!!

What can you recommend bud? Fully synth of course as that last stuff you recommended completely transformed the Saxo!

Cheers

Matty
Hi Matty

Glad the oil worked out for your Saxo. The 133 is a bit fussier due to the warranty, so you need to use one of these in the engine.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-898-rn0710-oil.aspx

Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF or Fuchs Sintofluid are ideal for the gearbox, but be careful with the gearbox as Renault may only let you use the Elf approved stuff for the warranty.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs.aspx

Cheers

Tim