Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 2nd August 2012, 15:34   #1
hellojohngotanoldmotor
L-plater

hellojohngotanoldmotor is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering Pump Intermittent Fault

I've just found out that my daughters 97 1.1 Saxo power steering pump sometimes doesn’t work & then kicks in. Steering goes heavy & you can't hear it whirring. Are there any electrical fittings that need checking or common faults to check for before suspecting the pump?
hellojohngotanoldmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:45   #2
greyjasper51
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): posi blue vtrs race car
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
greyjasper51 is on a distinguished road

Theres only 1 electrical connection to the pump, its the one on the end of it... Check wiring but its normally the pump mate

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=424462
greyjasper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:48   #3
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

You could try cleaning the connections on the pas relay(grey 1 under or near battery tray)
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:54   #4
hellojohngotanoldmotor
L-plater

hellojohngotanoldmotor is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Will do. Large round grey plastic cylinder shaped thing with wiring plugged in. Plug retaining clips look a bit breakable so need to be careful. Just disturbed it a bit & now working again so maybe just give it a bit of a wiggle first.
hellojohngotanoldmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 10:17   #5
elmtree

Car(s): Saxo SX 1527cc diesel.
elmtree is on a distinguished road

Hi to anyone still interested in the intermittent power steering fault.
I have a 1.5D saxo from 2000. PAS sometimes working from a cold start, and somtimes working from a warm start. But neither is assured. It will start at some point during a 10 minuet drive sooner or later, but it wiil start. I have visually checked the grey cylinder shaped relay, where was no sigh of any corrosion, very clean. I checked the the earth from the pump to the inner wing and improved that a bit.
I also have a flashing orange key warning light and a preminent red parking light on the dash display.
I need know if these problems could be related via the ignition wiring or relays?
Also is there a way I could test the PAS relay or the pump.
If the pump was very old could it behave in this way or is it more likely to just die?
Any help would be much very appreciated.. Thanks
elmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 10:53   #6
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Sounds like the pas pump has sticking brushes inside,with the engine running give the pump a gentle tap with a rubber mallet..Flashing orange key is the immobiliser light,red handbrake light is either your low on brake fluid or have a sensor/wiring fault.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 22:55   #7
elmtree

Thanks, great help, I'll check those out on Sunday. Cheers mate.
Old 29th August 2016, 01:19   #8
saxokid100
Saxperience Addict
North Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Wickerd red VTS MK2, Two tone VTS MK2,vvc Metro..
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
saxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the roughsaxokid100 is a jewel in the rough

Also orange relay above the in car fuse boxes controls powersteering and heater unit..
saxokid100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 19:57   #9
elmtree

Ok I Think I've sorted this. All relays and fuse were in good condition. I removed the PAS pump and remover its mounting brace. Then found you can only separate the motor housing from the pump, i.e. to gain access to the brushes and copper rotor you need to brake in. This is easy enough though, carefully grind or file off the 6 tangs protruding through the pressed steel end cap, and work a screwdriver between the end cap and the housing, work around the circumference little by little, lift away carefully, I found a little graphite dust, and 1 of the 4 brushes was sticky, there's 0,5mm deep groove where the graphite brushes had worn into the copper and what appeared to be a bit of localized heating in 2 to 3 places about that groove. I blew the dust out of everything and cleaned it off with brake cleaner, cut a strip of sand paper 'not Emery tape which may contain conductive oxides' the same width as the groove. Clean up the groove and the brushes. Ease the brush assembly back in to position holding the brushes clear with a small screwy, put a dot of copper slip on the end of the shaft, and re mount the end cap. I wired the cap to the body temporally to test the motor, powered off a 12v battery pack. Ran fine, on and off 20 times, no probs (both directions! lol), no heat, no noise and it spat fluid all over the ald fella so it's pumping OK. Next I sanded the paint off a couple off places around the end cap and ran a little solder around, remover the wire, test again! Refit on car refill reservoir etc. Working great.
Old 11th September 2016, 20:27   #10
sexy_gt
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): SUPERCHARGED saxo vts
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
sexy_gt is on a distinguished road

Thx for the reply.
sexy_gt is offline   Reply With Quote