Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 13th March 2012, 23:56   #1
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Past: Citroen Saxo Forte W reg posi blue Now: H
Morgiee is on a distinguished road
Default fuse amp issue

Ok to put this as sort as possibl have a 1600w vibe black air 12" ported and none ported sub and a 250w alpine amp powering a set of JL audio comps in the front. I have a distribution block seperating a thick 4awg cable into two either 8/4 awg cables (unsure of grade as its not illerstrated on the cable but looks thinner than the 4awg) the main inline fuse in the engine for the amp power wire didnt blow but the point going from the fse to the back of the car burned and melted the housing of the fuse holder meaning only one thing, the power surged back to the front. So from this i have bought three new fuse housings one for the front and the other two to be used for the two power cables going to the sub and to the comp amp. The problem i have is the fuse in the front used to have an 80a anl fuse bu shops only stock 60a fuses so if i was to put 1 60a fuse in each as only 60a worth of power is going through the circuit will i loose how loud the system use to be or will i not knotice much differance dropping from 80a to 60a?

Thanks
Morgiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 15:19   #2
sati

Car(s): 1990 - VW Golf MK2 - 3dr - VR6 2.8 12v
sati is on a distinguished road

aside form your post making no real sense at all..

you did not have a power surge.. if your fuse did not not blow its likely you were drawing less then 80 amps of current..

but its more likey your wiring it badly installed .. is your ground to a clean bare metal point? and tighten down fully? as this can cause arcing and create higher resistance thus need more current to provide same power ..

its also possible to have the cable melt if your wire is too thin and not true AWG..

the main fuse is there to protect the cable , true 4awg is safe to 100~150amps (length dependent).. then from your distribution block you should fit a fuse as close to the amp rating and a cable thick enough to handle the current it needs.

having a smaller/bigger fuse wont make a difference to how loud it is (yes i know you need to draw more current to produce more power)

having a ported sub and a non ported sub is pointless either have them both ported or sealed , or just run one or the other...

your sub is only around 500w rms , 1600w is its peak rating which mean nothing and is just a marketing figure.. which should be ignored..

If you dont know the basics of electronics then your should leave it to someone who knows what there doing to stop things like this happening (cars burning down)
sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 15:41   #3
Morgiee
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): Past: Citroen Saxo Forte W reg posi blue Now: H
Morgiee is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info mate but i have already covered the following. Ive managed to get it working now it was down to the front power wire being loose. I have got electronic experience take my guide below as proof.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=322591

Thanks for the reply though
Morgiee is offline   Reply With Quote