Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Vehicle Insurance

Vehicle Insurance Please use this forum to discuss vehicle insurance companies, services, quotations, recommendations, etc.

Old 25th September 2009, 20:15   #121
zoe-saxo

Car(s): 1.1X Citroen Saxo - Green
zoe-saxo is on a distinguished road

This has happened to me when i first got my car my mum wasthe registered owner of the car and i found out threw Directline that it was illegal. Had to change it, I know of a load who recently got his car took off him because of this!!
zoe-saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 18:25   #122
smittytom
Established Member

Car(s): 1)Posi Blue Westie 2)172
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
smittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud ofsmittytom has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboiross View Post
I rang Quinn and explained to them and they were fine with it!
And if you ever claim they wont pay out,
If you drive the car the most you should be the policy holder not your dad,
Also the fact that they car is going to kept away from the place that your dad lives implies that he wont be driving it to much,
Just trying to help you out mate if you ever need to claim they might not pay out
smittytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 23:49   #123
ChristopherJames
Regular Poster

Car(s): Possi Blue MK2 VTR :'( Buckingham Blue VTR MK1 :')
ChristopherJames is on a distinguished road

hmm
well i just bought my Saxo and its going in my dads name, and im going as a named driver, coz me on my own cheapest i could find was £2130, and as a named driver £794
think i know which one im gonna go with dont you :L
ChristopherJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:05   #124
liam-o
Established Member

liam-o is on a distinguished road

policies now have a policy holder and named drivers, no mention of "main" driver.

it doesnt state anywhere in most policies that the policy holder must drive the car the most.

my mom is named on my dads car and drives it more than him...

also, they will ask you who owns the car. lying is what causes invalid insurance.
liam-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 21:55   #125
jmg_590

jmg_590 is on a distinguished road

well mines registered to me, im going to uni in september so but ill keep the car at home, policy is going to be in stepdads name with me as a named driver. its well over a grand cheaper and when i come to change the insurance after a year i wont be living anywhere near the car to drive it. so im not realy doing anything wrong by doing that cus my stepdad will be using the car just as much as me, i just happend to have paid for it. (with a considerable loan from him anyway) so its kinda ok.
jmg_590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 10:16   #126
Jamestvaughan
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Audi A3 1.9 Tdi 2008
Jamestvaughan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this mate... Even though i am lost and now dont know what to do for insurance!
Jamestvaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:45   #127
maraalfap
Infrequent Poster

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
maraalfa is on a distinguished road

The fact is you have to declare the truth in order to have a valid contract. The policy holder must have an "insurable interest" in the vehicle which basically means should own it and be registered as the keeper. As the owner and registered keeper that person has an obligatiuon to tell the truth as to the vehicle details, its use (who and how) and how its stored. If all of these are declared truthfully the insurance company and tyhe individual have a binding contract. The company will fight any claim if the proposal was not filled in with truthful facts. We do it in my name, I own the vehicle, my son drives it most but the insurance company are aware of all of this, that way we can use my NCB though no doubt the car is rated and loaded on my son and his driving record.
maraalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 16:20   #128
Spen

Spen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
tbh simply way round it is just get the car regested in your parents name and not yours!!!

then they cant say shite as the car will be registerd to the policy holder

This is what i did. £2000 on my own £888 on my parent's.
Spen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 05:38   #129
pug306

Car(s): Saxo Vtr 52 reg team slammed
pug306 is on a distinguished road

no more mummy n daddy guys
pug306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 08:54   #130
lee_saxo
Established Member

lee_saxo is on a distinguished road

young people under the age of 23 should stick to small engined cars or be limited to about an ins group 4 car to gain expierence driving and maybe not think their driving legends and also insurance would be cheap
lee_saxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 14:07   #131
Davyy
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Clio 172 Flamer
Davyy is on a distinguished road

Guess i need to send my logbook off in my step-dads name to avoid this then..
Davyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 14:39   #132
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
young people under the age of 23 should stick to small engined cars or be limited to about an ins group 4 car to gain expierence driving and maybe not think their driving legends and also insurance would be cheap
Agree with this but it has a flaw...

What if you pass at 23?
Does that mean you can get any car you like because of your age, even though you still have the same amount of driving experience.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 00:10   #133
G00SEY23
L-plater

G00SEY23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Agree with this but it has a flaw...

What if you pass at 23?
Does that mean you can get any car you like because of your age, even though you still have the same amount of driving experience.
This leads on to my point, if I were to start saving up now for my own insurance at the rate of current premiums I'd be saving up for 3-4 possibly 5 years before I could afford it meaning there was at least a 3 year gap since I would have last Drove a car, passing test, meaning I wouldn't be as capable of driving then I would be if I started the secOnd I pass. So all of you that say sit it out and wait till you can afford your own insurance think about that. Also that would be annoying as fuck I've waited 17 years for this but guess what those greedy insurance pricks are gonna make you wait even longer!!!! Yay :/
G00SEY23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 00:51   #134
Stefan_Wood
Established Member

Car(s): Furio, 306Hdi, Astra 1.9cdti
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Stefan_Wood is on a distinguished road

Just got insured myself using this method, was getting quotes for 9grand on my own and on my moms it was 1,800 so what would u go for. Cars insured at my address as its the same as my moms (yh i still live with parents lol) the cars also in her name. When i was buying my insurance the man on the phone said to me dont worry about a thing u could drive this car for 9months at 1hr a day without your mom even getting in it then your mom could dirve it the last 3months for 5hours a day, thus concluding that she would still of been the main driver.
Stefan_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 11:04   #135
alexpepper

alexpepper is on a distinguished road

I used Warrantywise for my car warranty recently and they gave me a great price. Worth a try if people are struggling...
alexpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 00:08   #136
OMGASAXO
Established Member

Car(s): Posi saxo, flatty, Peugeot bipper, Vauxhall vectra
OMGASAXO is on a distinguished road

i used admaril im 18 and there price wasnt bad even thought it was about 4x the price of the actual car................. it cost about the same as it would if i was insured under my dads name on direct line or lv....soo woth a look.
I wachd a thing on tv and a person who worked for a insurance company quit because as part of her training she was told no matter what the circumstances find a way so the company dont have to pay out for insurance which is annoying cause they get over paid anyway, wat a rip off.
OMGASAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 23:20   #137
adamspencer
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 52 Saxo Desire 1.1
adamspencer is on a distinguished road

insurance in general is a scam, even more so for younger drivers such as me. hm, either £6k on my own insurance, or £1500 on my parents'? its pretty obvious what anyone with half a brain would go for for basically the same cover :L car in parents' name, they're the policy holder and standard car, the insurance company has no comeback whatsoever and will have to pay out
adamspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 01:45   #138
jage
Frequent Poster

jage is on a distinguished road

its only cheaper as they think the policy holder is going to be drivig it thr most and as theryre older are more experienced.

On the modified car side im insured under my mums name but cars in my name. It says this on the insurance and iv explained to a copper before that its only like this as its all i can afford. I only drive it to work or on weekends and she uses it in the week or it stays at home. Its highly modified but then again so is my mmums astra gsi weekend toy and my dads rally car. They cant say she wojldnt drive it haha
jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 08:58   #139
josh89vtr
L-plater

Car(s): citroen saxo silver completely standard
josh89vtr is on a distinguished road

I know what u all mean about insurance!! My mates little brother just passed his test and bought a 1.0 saxo and is paying £2700 a year in his own name! Mental. I'm 24 and have a vtr with mods and I got my mrs as named driver on the policy and I pay just shy of £470 a year. It's crazy coz at this point in my life I'm earning good money, I'm no longer a student so I could afford a higher insurance premium. But you g drivers on the whole aren't as well off. Lower minimum wage, apprenticeships, working part time and in college the rest of the week. It's hard!! But it better to be legal and know u will get a pay out if u bump ur pride and joy rather than left in the lurch with no car, no money and an investigation from the fraud squad lol
josh89vtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 07:46   #140
Riquer

Riquer is on a distinguished road

So if my dad buy a car on his name nad insure this car on his name as main driver and I will be the second driver it's still illegal?
Riquer is offline   Reply With Quote