Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 14th August 2012, 12:27   #1
Proffitt
Saxperience Post Whore
North Wales Region Member

Car(s): e46 M Sport
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Proffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant future
Default n00b, what camera?

Hello,

I am a newbie here so sorry for the noob questions etc in advance

I've been wanting to get into photography for a while now but just not had time to look into it all due to work commitments (16hour days!)
Now that work has settled down about and Im doing normal hours ive been looking at cameras and even more so that me and the mrs have booked a holiday to New York next year so would like a decent camera for that too

Honestly, I dont know where to start so I looked at Argos lol.

They have 2 that have caught my eye; D3000 & D3100

Ive read reviews and they all say really that the D3000 is a very basic DSLR which is great for beginners. Which is what I am

Does anyone have any experience with either camera?

Are they any good?

Can you change the Lens on them?

My budget is really about £300 which is why the D3000 stands out but if the D3100 is defo worth getting over the D3000 them I am happy to pay the extra £80 but thats my top budget as I am now saving for spending money for New York

Any help would be appriciated

Tom

Cymru am Byth
Proffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 09:57   #2
Proffitt
Saxperience Post Whore

Proffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant future

Anyone?

Cymru am Byth
Old 15th August 2012, 12:02   #3
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

I would just get the 3100 tbf, and yeh you can get more lens for it.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:03   #4
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Other than that im no help as ive never bothered paying attention to the nikon stuff other than the pro range.
Old 15th August 2012, 12:17   #5
Proffitt
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochachino View Post
I would just get the 3100 tbf, and yeh you can get more lens for it.
Makes sense really doesn't it but is it worth the extra £80 for my self being a beginner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
www.camerapricebuster.co.uk

Other than that im no help as ive never bothered paying attention to the nikon stuff other than the pro range.
Thanks the site

It doesn't have to be a Nikon one, they were like examples as I have no idea about cameras.

Cymru am Byth
Old 15th August 2012, 12:31   #6
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffitt View Post

It doesn't have to be a Nikon one, they were like examples as I have no idea about cameras.
Only buy canon or nikon.

Dont let any shop try telling you to buy sony or other brands the 'systems' which you buy into are not as readily available.

In other words theyre shite to buy and sell for.

I still cant give info on specific models unless you want to buy a 1dx lol
Old 15th August 2012, 12:54   #7
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffitt View Post
Makes sense really doesn't it but is it worth the extra £80 for my self being a beginner?

Thanks the site

From reading a few reviews on a google search it seems it is worth the extra £80. Think the biggest advantage is the video on it, not that you will be looking to use it much if at all, handy to have though I guess.

What about one of these? If I was buying a new camera for that budget it would be this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANON-EOS-...item19d101dd5b
Old 18th September 2012, 01:55   #8
VR6Boki

VR6Boki is on a distinguished road

I have D3100, it's good camera. Yes, you can change lenses on that, it's DSLR camera. D3100 is successor of D3000, so it's little better, biggest change is that D3100 have "movie mode", D3000 can't record movies. Beside that, it's also improved in all other aspect's. As I see, you don't know much about photography, then maybe it's best for U to buy some good compact camera (Canons are good). You buy DSLR if photography is you'r hobby or you are professional photograph. If you don't know why you buying it, don't buy it then. They are bigger and more expensive, and if you don't know how to use it's advanced capabilitys, than it's wasted money. I see many people these days buys DSLR, and 50% of them don't know how to use it proper, not something more than that.

Maybe it's better for U to buy this one or something like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|14419441.htm

It's cheap but not bad in any way and in 80% situations when U shot on "Auto" mode, it will make same pictures as that DSLR.
VR6Boki is offline   Reply With Quote