Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 18th April 2013, 13:38   #1
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold
Default Little bit of help..

I've bought Nikon D3100 standard 18-55mm lens. A stepping stone into this.

As i'm trying to get to grips with it i've been doing trial and error photos ect.

Could anyone *FAO Ryan* tell me if these pictures are okay? what am i doing wrong? Sometimes pictures come out abit white, some look "good" to me but im not sure what to look for in a image yet.

I'll have a search around but it would be nice to have some input so i can improve.

Beach today;

Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 13:47   #2
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

A few are clearly out of focus. Thats one thing to make sure of to begin with dude.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:53   #3
DAMSK11
Established Member

Car(s): Saxo 1.1, Fiesta Zetec S
DAMSK11 is on a distinguished road

What mode are you shooting on? I had one of those cameras last year.
DAMSK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 23:29   #4
kb_pricevtr
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR 2003
kb_pricevtr is on a distinguished road

Focus and if its too bright speed up the shutter speed
Old 19th June 2013, 22:56   #5
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!

This is quite an old thread but hey ho..

Shoot in P mode (programmed auto), leave it alone with the flash off and shoot away, thats perfect for snapshots. You can adjust the shutter speed and aperture in this mode also, its kind of like having aperture priority and shutter priority all rolled into one.

Having a faster lens is also a good way to improve your pictures and how they look. A fast lens, low f number, will give you better performance in low light situations, but also create nice shallow depth of field (blurred background with your subject in focus). The lower the f number, the blurrier the background will become.

The kit lens you have will be f/3.5-5.6. A good prime lens (no zoom) which is a 50mm equivalent, would be excellent. Everyone should have a 50mm equivalent lens. These lenses are quite cheap but are fast, go down to f/1.8. You can create some great shots with them. Also the pictures will be alot sharper and have better colours. I believe for your sensor size a 35mm prime lens is what you would require.

The following picture was shot at f/1.8, nothing special just a test shot. See how the background is slightly out of focus making the subject "pop" out of the picture, gives a great 3D effect. While this can be achieved to some extent with a slow lens, its much easier and looks alot better with a fast lens. Can really play with the depth of field.

So basically i would recommend getting a 50mm equivalent prime lens. Will make you a better photographer, its the classic focal length and they produce great, sharp images with great depth of field control.
Old 19th June 2013, 23:08   #6
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

Hi, cheers for the reply mate. Noted.

Since that first post these are the best photos (to me) i've took

My 'S

Attempt at a v low light

Croft

Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 08:52   #7
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!MaRiO89 is absolutely fabulous!

Ah, now those pictures are much better. Thought that was my Saxo for a minute lol. Can see that your thinking more about the angles etc to make an interesting shot.

It also depends though what type of photography you want to do, different types of photography require different techniques and camera settings and lenses. For example, motorsport photography requires a pretty long zoom lens, whereas travel photography for instance generally only needs shorter focal lengths or prime lenses (no zoom).

If you want any more help with anything to do with photography you can ask it here or PM me, would be happy to help
Old 20th June 2013, 09:11   #8
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

An active thread in this section, woohoo.

Will be keeping an eye on this as I have been taking a few shots as an absolute beginner myself.

Have been playing with the aperture on my Canon 400d to try and get the background blury as of late, now I understand why they are not coming out as blury as I would like as my aperture on my 18 - 55mm lense only goes as low as F5.0.

Birthday soon so a prime lense will be requested.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 09:23   #9
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Bret - distance to target and distance from background play a major role in bokeh also. Generally, the (physically) closer to your subject you are, the more background separation you can get.

But the aperture of course is the other major factor. Don't forget when you're shooting in bright direct sunlight, it can be difficult to get any background blur because the aperture is closed right up (high f stop). Here, I want background in focus for effect, which is just as well, as it's a bloody bright day:

Whereas here we want soft and fluffy, a good framed shot, but using the focus to drive attention to the hand:

Regarding lenses, if you get a 50mm (equiv) 1.8 prime, and FORCE yourself to use it, you'll find you become much better at framing shots in general, you'll need to zoom with your feet, and you'll quickly learn to work the aperture to your advantage

Last edited by Ross; 20th June 2013 at 09:32.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 09:31   #10
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore

Yeah I was playing around last night in the garden getting close to the only plant I have in the garden and bluring the background, it wasn't too bad tbh (I will post the picture shortly if I still have it).

I was taking some photo's last night of a local reservoir but the zoom on my camera was not enough as I couldnt get very close to what I wanted to shoot, I can see me purchasing a few more lenses in the not so distant future.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:00   #11
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

I agree with what Ross said. I didn't explain it as well as i could have but the distance between yourself, the subject and the background plays a role in how blurry the background becomes. With a faster lens though you can create those types of images easier and they just look better.

As i said, a 50mm equivalent prime lens will make you a better photographer and your photos will improve an awful lot. You need to think about your positioning more etc. The only lens i own for my Nikon 1 system is the 18.5mm (50mm equivalent) f/1.8. I sold the kit lens and i do not regret it. The focal length is perfect for most situations.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:26   #12
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRiO89 View Post
I agree with what Ross said. I didn't explain it as well as i could have but the distance between yourself, the subject and the background plays a role in how blurry the background becomes. With a faster lens though you can create those types of images easier and they just look better.

As i said, a 50mm equivalent prime lens will make you a better photographer and your photos will improve an awful lot. You need to think about your positioning more etc. The only lens i own for my Nikon 1 system is the 18.5mm (50mm equivalent) f/1.8. I sold the kit lens and i do not regret it. The focal length is perfect for most situations.
Any chance of you linking me to such a lense to fit my Canon? 58mm
Old 20th June 2013, 10:28   #13
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

Ye sure, what Canon do you have?
Old 20th June 2013, 10:31   #14
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

He has the 400d Mario

On the 400 (a crop camera) to get the equivalent of a 50mm lens you'll need a 32mm or thereabouts. The problem is the fast short canon lenses down there are quite expensive - in the £300 range and upwards), even for a sigma.

A reasonable choice might be the 35mm lens, f2 but that's still a good low light option.
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pr...ed=0CGYQ8wIwAA

If you're saving for a good lens I would strongly urge you to look at the 10-22mm canon lens. It's truly mighty and incredibly versatile. It is of course, not as fast as a prime lens being a zoom, and it defeats what Mario and I are trying to encourage you to do a little (zoom with your feet to learn!) BUT it's an AWESOME lens. I used one every day basically for about 3 years for skydiving. Loved that lens and would have one again in a heartbeat if I needed the functionality.

Last edited by Ross; 20th June 2013 at 10:33.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
Old 20th June 2013, 10:33   #15
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

Noticed you have a 400D, with your sensor size a 50mm equivalent would be this lens i believe..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-35mm-W...canon+35mm+1.8
Old 20th June 2013, 10:34   #16
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

Beat me to it Ross
The Following User Says Thank You to MaRiO89 For This Useful Post:
Old 20th June 2013, 10:37   #17
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore

Thanks guys, added to wishlist!

Nice to see some ongoing discussion in this part of the forum tbh.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:39   #18
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

No worries.

I haven't used Sax-P for quite a long time and this part of the forum was never hugely busy iirc. Personally, i could talk about photography all day!
Old 20th June 2013, 10:45   #19
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore

Here's a few I took at my nieces birthday the other day. Literally the first time I had used a DSLR camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9758152...th/9057416477/

A few are blown out with the light coming through the window but overall I'm impressed with them.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:51   #20
MaRiO89
Saxperience Post Whore

Nice shots there man. Now imagine those shots with the background slightly out of focus..

A fast lens would allow that to happen and would turn already nice shots into something even nicer to look at.

Sorry to keep going on about that, but getting a fast lens has made photography much more enjoyable for me and i will recommend any photographer to have something like it in their camera kit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaRiO89 For This Useful Post: