Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 29th October 2013, 10:31   #1
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road
Default Nightclub Photography

Morning,

I’ve been offered a job as a nightclub photographer, I was wondering if any of you have experience in doing it? I remember a thread a while back with some black and white pictures of a nightclub, but I can’t remember who posted it.

I need some advice, I have a canon 600d with 18-55 mkII and 50mm f1.8 lenses. I’m looking at buying a flash and a new lens suitable for the job. What’s a good choice? Would the 17-55 f2.8 be suitable? close range, fairly wide, decent f/stop, £220(ish) which is about how much I want to spend. Or is there anything else?

Also what’s a good flash? I have no idea about flashes. Do I want one that sits in the hot-shoe or a separate handheld one for this type of photography?

Cheers.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:54   #2
Samp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

North Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Fabia VRS PD130/ VTR Mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud of

Are you refering to this thread: LINK

Ryan is the man to speak to about this, have a look for him on facebook. Always really good photos being posted.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:09   #3
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Are you refering to this thread: LINK

Ryan is the man to speak to about this, have a look for him on facebook. Always really good photos being posted.
thats the one, cheers mate.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:10   #4
Samp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

North Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Sam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud of

At the bottom of the page there is an option to change how long the topics are displayed for.
Old 31st October 2013, 01:28   #5
jokerer
Regular Poster

Car(s): Desire 1.1
jokerer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
Morning,

I’ve been offered a job as a nightclub photographer, I was wondering if any of you have experience in doing it? I remember a thread a while back with some black and white pictures of a nightclub, but I can’t remember who posted it.

I need some advice, I have a canon 600d with 18-55 mkII and 50mm f1.8 lenses. I’m looking at buying a flash and a new lens suitable for the job. What’s a good choice? Would the 17-55 f2.8 be suitable? close range, fairly wide, decent f/stop, £220(ish) which is about how much I want to spend. Or is there anything else?

Also what’s a good flash? I have no idea about flashes. Do I want one that sits in the hot-shoe or a separate handheld one for this type of photography?

Cheers.
Hi Stissy

I am a full time photographer, and I cut my teeth in nightclubs so heres my two cents:

Get a 480ex either mk1 or 2, you might get a good cashback deal with canons winter cash back and get it for as little as 150 quid

The 17-55 f2.8 lens is really good, I use it at weddings but the stock 18-55 is great too for nightclubs, quality is not really that important for nightclubs as the photos are usually just put on Facebook.

You wont use the 50mm lens as on the 600D with the 1.6x crop factor it becomes more like a 70mm lens, making it useless for close action shots, just stick the zoom lens on and keep it on all night.

I suggest you get an off camera flash cable, they can be really useful in certain situations or to make the photos look edgy but I usually just stick the flash in the hot shoe on top of the camera and bounce the flash off the ceiling or on the surroundings. MAKE SURE YOU GET A FLASH DIFFUSER!!!!!

GET CAMERA INSURANCE TOO! The club wont give a crap if a drunk guy knocks your camera out your hands, if you upgrade to the 17-55 f2.8 you're talking about walking around with at least 1000+ quid worth of gear, easy pickings at 3am too.

If you want any advice feel free to pm me and il point you in the right direction, and give you a few tips too, is this a selling key chains job or do you get paid per night and not have to do a hard sell?
jokerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 11:55   #6
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerer View Post
Hi Stissy

I am a full time photographer, and I cut my teeth in nightclubs so heres my two cents:

Get a 480ex either mk1 or 2, you might get a good cashback deal with canons winter cash back and get it for as little as 150 quid

The 17-55 f2.8 lens is really good, I use it at weddings but the stock 18-55 is great too for nightclubs, quality is not really that important for nightclubs as the photos are usually just put on Facebook.

You wont use the 50mm lens as on the 600D with the 1.6x crop factor it becomes more like a 70mm lens, making it useless for close action shots, just stick the zoom lens on and keep it on all night.

I suggest you get an off camera flash cable, they can be really useful in certain situations or to make the photos look edgy but I usually just stick the flash in the hot shoe on top of the camera and bounce the flash off the ceiling or on the surroundings. MAKE SURE YOU GET A FLASH DIFFUSER!!!!!

GET CAMERA INSURANCE TOO! The club wont give a crap if a drunk guy knocks your camera out your hands, if you upgrade to the 17-55 f2.8 you're talking about walking around with at least 1000+ quid worth of gear, easy pickings at 3am too.

If you want any advice feel free to pm me and il point you in the right direction, and give you a few tips too, is this a selling key chains job or do you get paid per night and not have to do a hard sell?
Thanks for the reply mate. Very useful.

I’ve looked at the 480ex but it worked out at too much money for me. Maybe in the future it’s something I’d consider, but at the moment photography is just a hobby and I only need something cheap that will be enough to get me by. I’ve spoken to a couple of photographers and they’ve all pretty much said the same as you ha. So that’s good. I’ve decided to keep with what the majority are saying and get a decent flash with the kit lens for now, then if it pays off, I can start spending the profits on better lenses etc.

The job was a trial for a one off night. It’s a new night at an already existing club. If the night is a success it will become a regular, bi-monthly thing. The work is paid per night and the pictures are just promo for the facebook page. There’s no printing keyrings or anything like that. However, the guy organising the night wanted to pay me an embarrassingly low amount, so I ended up turning the work down.
Old 5th November 2013, 17:49   #7
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Fabia VRS, mk1 fiesta + some others
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
m4tt274 is on a distinguished road

Remember, when putting the camera up a girls skirt DONT forget to put the flash on.

Hehehe NAATTTTT
m4tt274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 02:08   #8
jokerer
Regular Poster

Car(s): Desire 1.1
jokerer is on a distinguished road
Default Night club photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stissy View Post
Thanks for the reply mate. Very useful.

I’ve looked at the 480ex but it worked out at too much money for me. Maybe in the future it’s something I’d consider, but at the moment photography is just a hobby and I only need something cheap that will be enough to get me by. I’ve spoken to a couple of photographers and they’ve all pretty much said the same as you ha. So that’s good. I’ve decided to keep with what the majority are saying and get a decent flash with the kit lens for now, then if it pays off, I can start spending the profits on better lenses etc.

The job was a trial for a one off night. It’s a new night at an already existing club. If the night is a success it will become a regular, bi-monthly thing. The work is paid per night and the pictures are just promo for the facebook page. There’s no printing keyrings or anything like that. However, the guy organising the night wanted to pay me an embarrassingly low amount, so I ended up turning the work down.
If thats too expensive then maybe a Jessops own brand which is about £100ish? Theres lots of cheapy ones out which will do the job!

I think the standard rate seems to be around £40 for about 2-3 hours work, not as much as I get for doing weddings but its fun and keeps a roof over my head!

Glad to help and like I said if you need any info feel free to ask haha
jokerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 09:38   #9
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

I think the Jessops one is more suitable for me, i'll pick one up this weekend.

Yeah - most photographers seem to charge £20ph as a standard rate. Some even more. I was offered less than half that.

Cheers again mate.
Old 6th November 2013, 18:35   #10
Samp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

have a look at YongNuo YN-560 III
Old 7th November 2013, 11:11   #11
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
have a look at YongNuo YN-560 III
Cheers mate. yeah, i've been recommended this flash before. do you have any experience?
Old 7th November 2013, 20:52   #12
Samp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Ive used there older versions, but my friend uses the 560 when he djs at discos and says its better than his older jessops flashgun.