Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Digital Photography Discussion

Digital Photography Discussion A place to discuss digital photography, swap tips, tricks and pics!

Old 4th September 2014, 15:07   #1
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!
Default "Entry" DSLR

With my first nipper making an appearance and my aging Ixus starting to affect photos im looking to venture back into the DSLR world. It will be largely used to take pics of the wee one for printing and keeping photos rather than pictures on my iphone that will eventually disappear somewhere.

Canon would be my preference purely due to familiarity of the menus etc... and I would like to have a detacable lense as it may get used more in the future so difference lenses will be considered in the future.

The Canon model numbering system versus the prices dont seem to make much sense?

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 15:16   #2
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

What's your budget and usage scenario? IE, a DSLR is bigger than a compact, but generally gives better photos with the things you want (detachable lens etc). The flip side is it's bulky and in real terms, that means you'll use it less.
Old 4th September 2014, 15:18   #3
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

You can get some bridge camera's not with changeable lenses I believe.

Keeps the weight down and may mean it's likely to be used more.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 15:32   #4
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Budget doesnt really matter to a certain extent i.e. if one is £360 and one is £500 but justifies the price tag then thats cool with me. For talking sake lets say £500 would be an upper budget.

Realistically the weight doesnt matter to much, ill use my iphone to replace my fast dying ixus as my point and shoot camera and use the dslr as a planned photo taker.

The bridge options are quite interesting actually, though from a very quick scope they seem to be about the same price as a dslr and may be limited in the future.

Usage case at this time really is to take pictures of the baby that can be printed and kept and given to grandparents who dont have a smart phone/tablet to view pictures on. Realistically I could just replace the ixus with a new ixus and probably never think anymore about it. That stands the danger of just being left in the house and never used as the iphone takes "reasonable" pics in good conditions. However a couple of the printed iphone pics quickly show up its limitations which is pointing me towards a "better" camera.

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 4th September 2014, 20:53   #5
Scottp
Administrator

Canon 100d looks like the chap. Not quite entry but not to expensive either with the bundled 18-55 lense

Do I spunk an extra ~£110 for the 75-300mm bundle lense?

The comparable Nikon range seems to be better van I letting familiarity to canon blind me?

Old 7th September 2014, 07:15   #6
Samp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

North Wales Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Fabia VRS PD130/ VTR Mk2
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Sam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud ofSam has much to be proud of

I found the 100d to be a very small camera, I seen one in Currys the other day and was taken back by the size. But I dont know if thats because my gripped 40d and my 70d are quite large.

My first camera was a 1000d and my friend had a 600d, you could see the quality difference but it wasnt a huge difference. The 1200d and the 700d have both been getting good reviews.

This link shows the timeline and where the canon camera falls with there class:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...igital_cameras
Old 7th September 2014, 11:03   #7
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

look in the right places and you might get a 5D body at the top of your price range, though you'd need lenses on top of that usually, as with most cameras the lenses tend to be sold separately and can easily cost far more than the body when new.

5d is more of a pro level camera, 500D is the first one that'll do video if you want too, a lot of youtube channels use DSLR's for videos.

300d used to be the starter level EOS digi unit, then they confused stuff by wedging in the 1000d above it under the 500d.

typically the lower numbers are the top of the range pro level units, MP levels wont be much different but processing rate and RAM will be quicker, i.e shooting in RAW I'm limited on my 400D to about ten shots in quick succession before it needs time to save to CF card, where something like a 5d will be a few hundred frames I believe! size and quality of the sensor is what you pay for as well.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welshpug For This Useful Post:
Old 7th September 2014, 11:03   #8
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

look in the right places and you might get a 5D body at the top of your price range, though you'd need lenses on top of that usually, as with most cameras the lenses tend to be sold separately and can easily cost far more than the body when new.

5d is more of a pro level camera, 500D is the first one that'll do video if you want too, a lot of youtube channels use DSLR's for videos.

300d used to be the starter level EOS digi unit, then they confused stuff by wedging in the 1000d above it under the 500d.

typically the lower numbers are the top of the range pro level units, MP levels wont be much different but processing rate and RAM will be quicker, i.e shooting in RAW I'm limited on my 400D to about ten shots in quick succession before it needs time to save to CF card, where something like a 5d will be a few hundred frames I believe! size and quality of the sensor is what you pay for as well.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 22:46   #9
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

welshpug, my budget could be up to 500 for a new canon body, what would you recommend? im looking at the 5d now and seen the mk1 at 400 for just body. Viper had said look at the 40D as an upgrade to my 400D which is buggered and canon repair places want 170 to service it. Not prepared to pay that when could get something better for not alot more
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 13:28   #10
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

You get more for your money buying second hand but you will likely not get any warranty.

The problem I found with Photography is that you get the bug to keep upgrading so it begs the questions as to whether to get something mid range now.

I went for a Canon 50D with a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens second hand for £480 off the TalkPhotography forum. They have a Itrader system so you have some form of trust in the seller if they have good feedback.

If you are looking at a new camera then I would go with one of Canon's entry level ones and see what sort of shots you get with the kit lens. You may be able to get an entry level body, sell the kit lens and look at something like the Tamron I mentioned for the £500 budget you have.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 20:56   #11
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

This is a good camera.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-...item2595ccbe2c
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote