Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 28th June 2009, 14:12   #1
charlie-oakley
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1999 mk1 vts
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
charlie-oakley is on a distinguished road
Default drive shaft / wheel bearing problem

hi i have a mk 1 saxo about a month ago my drive shaft went so i took it off and got a new 1.
the one the car parts supplyer sold me snaped as soon as i moved the car so i took it back off and went back again thay then got my old shaft and messured it against others to get the right one turns out its a mk2 drive shaft in a mk1 saxo but the problem is my car keep chewing wheel bearings in the same side as the new shaft it has had 4 in it now 2 used (whole legs) 2 new any ideas.......
Old 28th June 2009, 14:25   #2
Mr_P
Saxperience Forum Bum
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Bianca White Peugeot 106 S2 Rallye, Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Mr_P is on a distinguished road

What wheel bearings are you using? Cheap bearings are notable for not lasting.

Make sure you have got the correct driveshaft and bearing or the bearing won't last two minutes. I can't remember when they changed over off the top of my head but I think it was January 99 when the later shafts and bearings were used.

Careful you're not overtightening the hubnut and causing unessacary stress to the bearing.

Only other thing I can suggest is getting your suspension checked out to make sure nothing else is damaged which will be putting stress on those componenets.
Mr_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 17:49   #3
charlie-oakley
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1999 mk1 vts
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
charlie-oakley is on a distinguished road

im buying parts for my car through the reg wich is 98 but the drive shaft thay have suplyed me i for a mk 2 like 99 up and everythink eles is 99 down could the drive shaft be nackering the bearing because whats happening is the baring is being sort of like pushed out to cause movment and then obvisoly killing the bearing
Old 28th June 2009, 17:55   #4
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

there is two types of driveshaft ends/wheel bearings.

tapered and non-tapered.

If you fit a different shaft to wheel bearing you'll go through wheel bearings very quickly - check the end of your old shaft against the new one, make sure it's the same.
Old 28th June 2009, 18:50   #5
Lozza_vtr
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): VW Golf Mk4 1.8T
Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
there is two types of driveshaft ends/wheel bearings.

tapered and non-tapered.

If you fit a different shaft to wheel bearing you'll go through wheel bearings very quickly - check the end of your old shaft against the new one, make sure it's the same.
Exactly.

Will use my little drawing i done a while back, i know its rubbish. lol.

Change over was around 2001 onwards, when they changed to tapered.
Old 28th June 2009, 19:01   #6
Mr_P
Saxperience Forum Bum
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Bianca White Peugeot 106 S2 Rallye, Saxo VTS
Mr_P is on a distinguished road

Changover was 1999.

Don't count on them ordering by reg plate mate. They did that for my shafts and I ended up with the wrong ones.
Mr_P is offline   Reply With Quote