Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 12th May 2009, 12:59   #1
marshall76
Regular Poster

Car(s): Black MK1 Saxo VTR
marshall76 is on a distinguished road
Default Which laptop to buy?? Help please

Hiya,

Mother in laws decided to invest in a new laptop and has asked for my help???

She's got upto £450 to spend, ideally wants a 17" monitor and needs to be wireless, using it for general office work and internet browsing..

Just wondering if anyone had any links or advise on websites to look at please before I look at the obvious ones like PC World and Dell, Currys ect...

Many thanks
marshall76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 13:07   #2
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Saxo VTS Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Astra SRI
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

Not kept up with the market, but http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/740908 looks about bang on
Old 12th May 2009, 13:09   #3
edwcorst
Frequent Poster

iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
edwcorst is on a distinguished road

try misco, dabs , quite good
Old 12th May 2009, 13:21   #4
marshall76
Regular Poster

Car(s): Black MK1 Saxo VTR
marshall76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Not kept up with the market, but http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/740908 looks about bang on
Just been looking at exactly the same one in Currys, same price too, quite a decent spec for price..

Thanks
marshall76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 13:22   #5
CampDavid
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Saxo VTS Peugeot 306 GTI-6 Astra SRI
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!CampDavid is absolutely fabulous!

Indeed. I don't really keep ann eye on home kit anymore but that does look a decent machine for little cash
Old 12th May 2009, 13:28   #6
Chris91
Frequent Poster
North West Region Member

Car(s): 06' Mk6 Zetec S
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Chris91 is on a distinguished road

Theres some Dell Laptops in the Tesco near me (NW) and they are £349.99 - Specs are quite decent too! worth looking at, different colours available etc..
Chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 13:33   #7
J222JRA
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Westfield
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
J222JRA is on a distinguished road

i always buy my laptops from dell direct, they have got some good offers on at the minute mate
J222JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 15:52   #8
bpm
Established Member
Central South Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 16v 1.6 VTS '99 (Pearlescent Blue/Red
bpm is on a distinguished road

Compaq are generally very good but the one recommended from Currys / PC World is that price for a reason. Its the older slower processor. The 2.16Ghz means nothing its the bus speed and cache that determines the actual speed your processor will run. In this processor it only has 1Mb of cache and a bus speed of 667Mhz, which means it will run relatively slowly with todays more intensive applications.

If you arent using it for very intensive stuff and arent too concerned on speed then for the money it isnt bad at all! If you think of the processor as the engine that powers youre computer though youre buying the 1.1 when you could get a VTR or VTS!

Dell do a very good range of business laptops which have quite reasonable prices and excellent specs (if you know what youre talking about)
Old 12th May 2009, 16:25   #9
5AMBO
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic Grey Saxo VTR
5AMBO is a name known to all5AMBO is a name known to all5AMBO is a name known to all5AMBO is a name known to all5AMBO is a name known to all5AMBO is a name known to all

dont buy sony, went wrong over and over again and poor after service in my experience

Icelandic VTR - For Sale
5AMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 16:28   #10
Stickyjam
Established Member

Stickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to allStickyjam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm View Post
Compaq are generally very good but the one recommended from Currys / PC World is that price for a reason. Its the older slower processor. The 2.16Ghz means nothing its the bus speed and cache that determines the actual speed your processor will run. In this processor it only has 1Mb of cache and a bus speed of 667Mhz, which means it will run relatively slowly with todays more intensive applications.

If you arent using it for very intensive stuff and arent too concerned on speed then for the money it isnt bad at all! If you think of the processor as the engine that powers youre computer though youre buying the 1.1 when you could get a VTR or VTS!

Dell do a very good range of business laptops which have quite reasonable prices and excellent specs (if you know what youre talking about)
the dell vostro's will offer the best price for performance for ya mothers budget...

but by no means is the linked laptop gonna be bad, try ebuyer and laptopsdirect too.
Stickyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 16:34   #11
danzman1991
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Version Très Sportive
danzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team member

Don't buy Acer.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:37   #12
furiomike
Established Member
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): A4 B7 2.0T Quattro
furiomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzman1991 View Post
Don't buy Acer.
why?

i've had about 4. no problems ever and you get a right good spec for the price.
furiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 16:38   #13
0rang3peel
Saxperience Addict
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): 306 diesel shed broken vts
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
0rang3peel is on a distinguished road

Acer are fine if you're on a harsh budget im on a 350 quid one now and its shit.
0rang3peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 16:41   #14
danzman1991
Saxperience Forum Bum

danzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team memberdanzman1991 is a well respected team member

Mine was £400, 4gb Ram, 250gb Hard Drive, Dual Core.. Isn't worth the time of day.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:42   #15
furiomike
Established Member
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): A4 B7 2.0T Quattro
furiomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud offuriomike has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzman1991 View Post
Mine was £400, 4gb Ram, 250gb Hard Drive, Dual Core.. Isn't worth the time of day.
why? is it slow?
furiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 16:47   #16
danzman1991
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiomike View Post
why? is it slow?
Not exactly slow, just no where near as good as it should be compared to other Laptops.. 2 weeks after I bought it the hard drive broke so I lost everything and had to wait ages to get it repaired.
Old 12th May 2009, 22:32   #17
Saxo-Mikey
Regular Poster
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Sunbeam Alpine, Citroen Saxo VTR BMW z4
Saxo-Mikey is on a distinguished road

I bought my Acer Aspire 5535 from tescos which was a bargain! it was at £350 when it was on offer but aint too sure how much it would be now. Memory is great with 4GB RAM and 250GB on the Hard drive. its a 15.6" screen so almost the 17" which u are looking for (not toooo far off )
Saxo-Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote